“Like staying at a friends house”

Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center
Ranked #3 of 6 Honaunau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 February 2010

If you want to experience what it would be like to live on the beautiful Kona coast, look no farther. Barbara is a wonderful host who goes out of her way to make your stay both enjoyable and memorable. Sorry- no swim-up martini bar, staged luaus or corporate hotel crowds. Just a peaceful, natural environment, interesting guests and incomparable snorkeling just minutes away. Highly recommended…

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeaweedSid

Reviewed 27 October 2009

I have fallen in love with this place. I visited a couple years ago and am coming back again with my children this year. Everything about this place is Magical!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank skippy5858
Reviewed 3 September 2009

it was my first visit to hawaii and i was just astounded by the beauty of oahu and big island... the scenery, nature, beaches, and relaxed healthy feeling of the whole place makes it one of my favourite places on earth.

the dragonfly ranch is really a special little find... u feel healthy, well and happy just being there... its totally unique with every room having a dif look and facilities. we were staying in the writers studio which is just beautiful. 2 big beds, kitchen, bathroom and swinging chair..

barbara and staff made u feel soo welcome and relaxed, and the evenings are great with such a family feel. phoenix cooked for us a few times .. wild organic salmon, organic greens from the garden and a delicious papaya dressing was just one...!, and the staff often juiced some veggies and made smoothies for us during the day.

kyacking, exploring, making lays, fitness/sauna n yoga, are available during the day.,, beaches and ocean are 2mins drive away. snorkling is spectacular and we were lucky enough to swim with dolphins 3times whilst there. just priceless! really recommend this retreat for anyone wanting a healthy relaxing time. families love it, aswel as groups of friends (like us!) and for romantic breaks...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank annasomma
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I've visited tons of Bed 'n Breakfasts around the world, and never have I experienced one as wonderful and welcoming as The Dragonfly. From the moment I drove into the driveway -- exhausted from my early morning flight over to the island -- Barbara's staff took care of me. Barbara’s team (ohana) truly cares and goes far above and beyond to make the guest feel welcome and comfortable. As I had arrived hours before my scheduled check-in time, my room was not ready yet, which I had expected. However, the staff was incredibly accommodating, making me coffee, showing me around the property and even allowing me to nap on the hammock, on the Dragonfly's spacious lanai. That’s when I met The Dragonfly's wonderful animals -- the dogs and cat. Lilio, the beautiful cat, is a treasure. She warmed up to me right away and napped with me on the lanai. It was the best start to my island visit. The Dragonfly is really a cat and dog lover’s delight. The animals exude such an amazing energy and really add to The Dragonfly's amazing atmosphere. After a short nap, my room was ready and I was able to officially check in. (They let me check in more than 2 hours earlier than normal, which was greatly appreciated!)

My entire stay at The Dragonfly was a real treat. It truly proved itself as a healing retreat. I booked at The Dragonfly because I needed a real getaway from the stresses of big city life. The Dragonfly was the perfect antidote. I began to feel better the moment I arrived. It's impossible to feel any stress when you wake up to sounds of birds singing outside your window, are treated to delicious organic meals and are a short hike/drive away from a most amazing bay filled with dolphins. Every day during my stay at The Dragonfly I woke up and fell asleep with a smile. I spent my time at The Dragonfly thinking about how blessed I was to have found such a place -- a place so relaxing on every level. I could relax knowing that I had been blessed with such natural comforts and luxuries -- unspoiled nature all around me, such great company and delicious organic food. During the day, I could swim with dolphins, go for a hike, visit nearby coffee plantations, sip the Dragonfly’s own organic coffee, take a shower in an amazing outdoor shower, relax in the healing infrared sauna, practice yoga in the Labyrinth overlooking the ocean, or simply nap on the lanai. It was so invigorating. I returned the city entirely renewed, and I cannot wait to return.

Also, I truly enjoyed The Dragonfly's special guests -- the native geckos. I loved seeing them skittle around outdoors. I loved that The Dragonfly really is about embracing nature, bringing the outdoors in. The last thing I wanted was a clinically clean and cold resort. If I wanted that, I could have booked at a large chain resort on Oahu. I wanted something different, something more authentic. And that’s what I found with The Dragonfly. I’ve never experienced anywhere so authentic. Barbara has infused the place with the true spirit of the Hawaiian islands. It’s such a refreshing alternative to a chain hotel. In my mind, it’s also much more luxurious. In fact, even compared to all other bed ‘n breakfasts, The Dragonfly is tops. It doesn’t get anything better than this! [However, a word to those who do not appreciate nature in all of its glory -- this place is natural in every way. It is truly like a treehouse, and the indoors really combines with the outdoors. That's what makes The Dragonfly so magnificent. Your room will be very comfortable, lean and cozy, especially if you book one of the suites. But, if you want “clinically clean,” you best check into 4 or 5 star chain hotel.]

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank TracyB604
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My wife and I have been to the Dragonfly twice now, and both times have been very satisfied with our stay. Both times we have stayed in the Writer's Studio, which is a very large spacious room with a kitchen area and a stand-up shower with a lava rock floor. The Dragonfly is unique, in that your stay has a very "outdoors in the jungle" feeling, while still providing the amenities you expect from a first class bed and breakfast. You go to sleep and wake up to the sounds of nature, and every morning are treated to a incredibly delicious and healthy breakfast.

Our only note of caution is to people who can't stand bugs, specifically the entomophobics out there. We usually see one or two enormous, but harmless, spiders in our room when we stay. We think it's cool, but can understand if some might get freaked out.

I guess what's important to understand (and respect) about this unique gem of a B&B is that, while you are screened in and have plush beds, fresh towels and sufficient privacy, you are sharing the space with the occasional friendly gecko and spider.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank simon5413
Reviewed 23 June 2009

A very natural setting with friendly staff and a wonderful hostess. Great massages and breakfasts. Wake to birds singing and chimes blowing in the wind.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank ronedel
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Dragonfly Ranch last week during a birthday trip to Hawaii. We were prepared for mostly outdoor living, because it is like staying in a tree house with screens and the wonders of nature in full view. The room featured a large comfortable king-sized bed and a bamboo-framed "tub for two" along with a lovely antique velvet couch and marble-topped table and all sorts of sweet little art pieces like an elephant music box and dragonfly "goddess" suspended over the bed. As an additional treat, I found myself completely charmed by a pair of little birds who had chosen to build a "teacup" nest in the vines right outside of our room. In short, it was an eccentric, eclectic, and beautiful room.

Being almost completely outdoors, it was exposed to the elements a bit, and somewhat open to whatever could come into the room, but this is what we expected from the proprietor's Web site. Frankly, I loved that the room didn't have the smell of bug spray, which I've experienced in many rooms in the tropics. I didn't feel like I might have a surprise asthma attack due to a reaction to the poisons in an insecticide.

The proprietor, Barbara, and her wonderful staff, Sunny and Phoenix, did an outstanding job of making me feel special on my birthday, presenting me with a watermelon birthday "cake" and candles, and filling our room with exotic flowers.

We hated to leave, but plan to return again to the wonders of the Dragonfly Ranch.

Diana Purser

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glamagamma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honaunau
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Manago Hotel
Manago Hotel
#1 of 1 in Captain Cook
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Dragonfly Ranch - Healing Arts Center? Share your experiences!