“my easy, relaxing place to eat for very many years”

The Seafood Bar & Grill
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Kawaihae
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have eaten at the Seafood Bar several times a year every year for as long as I can remember (10 years maybe?) It is a very relaxing place in Kawaihae. The food is quick. The menu stays the same. Drinks and beers are good.

If I come with the family, I love to sit outside right before sunset. When I come with friends, I sit inside which has bigger tables. I also come alone sometimes and sit at the bar watching sports while eating.

The food is not cheap, but....there is no cheap food on this island anyway.

Thanks for offering the consistency of food and atmosphere over the years. The Seafood Bar has become the comfort food/place for me. I know what I get myself into when I am here.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Good food and drink and a happy hour from 3-7. Menu has seafood, pupus, etc. Management and staff have been there a long time and know what they are doing. Atmosphere is Tiki Hawaiian with indoor/outdoor seating. Enjoy!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Of all the restaurants we tried on the Big Island, this one didn't seem to measure up. We came on a Wednesday night and chose a seat on the patio, as there was a big group taking up most of the tables indoors. After we got our drinks, a wasp took a special interest in our table, so we moved to another table at the opposite end of the patio. There we swatted away flies most of the meal. The food was pretty good, but not outstanding. Service was ok, although we had to wait a while to get our check.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had planned to hit Blue Dragon, but it was closed, so we tried Seafood Bar and Grill. At first, I was a bit hesitant because we seemed a bit like the haole outsiders when we walked in, but our server was VERY sweet and when I asked if they could just do grilled shrimp and mashed potatoes for my gluten-free daughter, she went to ask the chef and came back promptly with a yes. They added in asparagus for her (one of her favorite veggies), which I appreciated, and charged me a reasonable price. I ordered the monchong (daily special), which ended up being pricier than I'd thought, but it was outstanding, so I really can't complain. My husband got the seafood pizza, which was also a bit pricey, but very tasty, and my son ordered the seafood fried rice and loved it. Overall, we had an excellent visit and our server was attentive and friendly. The food was delicious and we will definitely return the next time we're in the area.

2  Thank geopchick
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our first dinner in Hawaii and we were looking forward to a good Mai Tai... they delivered. Given the prices, we didn't expect gourmet dishes but the food was surprisingly very good. I would certainly stop for another meal here.