“Truth in advertising”

Add it.
Dunkin' Donuts
Ranked #3 of 3 Bakeries in Putnam
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have been visiting this DD location for several years. I usually get a bagel with cream cheese and a medium coffee at the drive up window. I usually order that way and seem to pay considerably more than the combo price on the menu board. Today I decided to make a point of ordering a combo #3, a medium coffee and bagel with cream cheese for $3.59. With 6.35% sales tax of .23 cents it should have come to $3.82. When I got to the window the young lady told me it was $4.24. I told her the sign said that combo was $3.59. She replied that it was because of the sales tax. I told her I understand sales tax but it certainly wasn't .65 cents tax. With a small sigh and a frown she turned to her computer terminal without a word and tapped the keyboard a good dozen times. Then she turned back to me and simply stated "that's the way it comes up". I just paid her and left.
There is a law against charging more than the posted price on things in the state of Connecticut. I certainly am not going to press this legally for this small amount but I certainly don't understand the simple mindedness of people who work with the public in hiding behind a defense like she did. "That the way is comes up" isn't the answer you give a customer. She should have politely offered to get the manager and rectify this situation.
For my part, there are plenty of non-Dunkin Donuts coffee places around and I will go to any of them in the future. I could easily go to another one in my area but seeing as they all are owned by the same person I will avoid all of the DD's in northeastern Ct. To the owners and management of these DD's locations, I say that for overcharging me that .42 cents, for setting up your computers to not align with your posted prices and for failing to properly train your employees on proper customer service (not offering for fix the problem) you will loose about $400 a year in business from this former customer.