“Not too special”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The piZza we ordered was bad. The crust...pre cooked.? Was quite soggy. We went on a Monday, so maybe the chef was off that night. There was what sounded like a wild time going down in the kitchen that spilled over onto the dining area. Seemed like it took the better part of an hour to get the pizza. I think they forgot about us, they seemed to be messing around too much. granted this happened close to over a year ago, so perhaps they've improved, but our evening was ruined to such at extent that we won't be back.

1  Thank music1959
TonyP142, Owner at Someplace Special, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

Sorry that you had a bad experience on your last visit. Please give me a call and I will make things right for you.

Sincerely

Tony owner

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I come here all the time and NEVER have had such poor service here before. I arrived before the rest of my friends (party of 3) to get a table as I know the place fills up fast. It was a Sat night, one person at the bar, two booths and one other table were filled. It took my waitress 10 minutes to initially greet me, took my drink order, and another 10 minutes for her to bring it to me (only a soda). My friends arrived at 6:35, and again we waited 10 minutes for the waitress to come back to the table, took our drink order and waited at least 10 minutes for another soda and water with lemon. We ordered our food (and paid an extra $2 for a salad). We flagged our waitress down after 30 minutes & we asked if our food was coming out soon as we had tickets to a play at the theater down the street. We said we never got our salad, and she promptly brought it to the table. We took 2 bites of the salad and then our food came out of the kitchen. The boneless stuffed chicken was good, as was the grilled chicken salad and chicken marsala my friends ordered. Good but not exceptional. We had to flag our waitress down to get the bill as by this time it is now 7:45 and the play started at 8PM. Our waitress was pleasant enough, but was not on her game, almost to the point that she just kept forgetting about us. I could see if the place was slamming busy, but it wasn't, and there seemed to be enough wait staff & bartenders on duty.
Overall the restaurant has good food, normally good service, outdoor dining in the summer, a very comfortable laid back friendly type of atmosphere. Pricing is a little on the high side ($14 for baked stuffed chicken & $14 for chicken marsala). Parking is tough as there are 5 restaurants in a small square. On a nice evening, you can park downtown and enjoy the walk thru the antique district to get here.

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Best prime rib best service took my gf good times will be back waitress jackie great . Food was fresh homemade .bill cain

Tony P, General Manager at Someplace Special, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

I would like to take a moment and thank you for your kind words on the Trip Advisor web site.
Your comments mean a lot to all of us here at Someplace Special.

Bill Byrnes
Someplace Special.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Prime Rib on Sundays- Shhhh! Don't spread it around. $17.50 for the massive cut, medium rare, like butter throughout- with my mashed taters, a nice tomatoey bean side, and for $2.50 extra, a large, well-chilled garden salad. My vinaigrette dressing was tart and sweet, well-balanced. The dessert I ordered (extra) was the home made "lemon drop" cheesecake... moist and a light frosting for just a hint of sweet. I live in Putnam and haven't reviewed anyone here until now, but others are VERY good. I may do 85 Main, also excellent. "Someplace Special" has always been my fave for gourmet pizza. The Tomato Basil with all fresh ingredients is heavenly. Its about the dough- not too crusty, not wimpy, either. It is the best pizza in America next to Dennisport, Ma. House of Pizza. (Yet to be reviewed by me). Someplace Special has many excellent entrees. I've tasted sea scallops and fried seafood. I like the fish offerings shipped in very fresh from nearby Stonington, Mystic-Noank, Ct., and other seaports within an hour's drive.

Tony P, Owner at Someplace Special, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your kind words and your business. I'm glad you've had great dining experiences at my restaurant and look forward to your future visits.

Thanks
Tony

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I haven't been there for quite sometime. Was pleasantly surprised at the renovations that were done. Its a real welcome change with the inside redone as well as the outside seating they added on.
The menu is quite nice and reasonably priced. We both had a delicious specialty salad and a drink. Highly recommended and will be back a gain soon !

1  Thank Luvinlife143