“Wayback Welcome”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
Palatka, FL
“Wayback Welcome”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel is designed so everyone has a view and a specific place to park. The decor is retro but awesome! Everything was clean and the room was large. The front desk was helpful and informative. Both the gentleman and the lady went our of their way to answer questions, help with food plans and get extra pillows. They even downsized our room when we explained our traveling partner had cut the trip short so we didn't need the extra bed. WITH SMILES! The wood is the centerpiece of the rooms and very beautiful. We would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Maybe one further from the road....
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gogators52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

If you want frills and such that you get in a 5 star hotel this isn't the place, but if you want to stay in a cute quirky and clean hotel this is the place. From the very nice lady that checked us in to the charm of a hotel built out of one huge Curley redwood we love this place. It reminded me of places I stayed with my parents back in the 50's, no extras but a goods nights rest! The price is good also. Would be happy to stay here again if we were ever in Crescent City.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Minneapolis
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The motel is directly off the main highway through town, across from the harbor. Rooms are very basic, clean and reasonably priced. The motel has a very retro look. Like the town of Crescent City, there is nothing in particular to recommend the motel beyond its proximity to the Redwoods and beaches elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 August 2013

There are alot of choices in the area, but what was most interesting about this place is how it was built: all from one single redwood log! The rooms are large and paneled in this beautiful curly redwood--very unique. Other than that, though, it doesn't have anything else going for it in particular. The check-in was friendly enough, and they offer coffee and a limited tea selection (no herbal/non-caffeinated) in the lobby in the morning--there's no refrigerator or microwave in the room. In the double room, there was just one bar of soap--no shampoo--and only two sheets left in the tissue box. The bathroom is adequate but only a small glass shelf above the sink and the toilet doesn't have a lid, so there is not much room to place toiletries. The shower kept cycling hot/warm/cold--which was annoying--and there was no way to adjust the pressure (I like to limit my water use). I was told to go around the back to park, which was unlit and didn't feel safe, so I came back to the front and parked in the middle.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the ground floor, there is a parking space right in front of your door. Otherwi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mvc1970
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Curly Redwood Lodge in like staying in a 70's hotel. Clean but no frills. No hair dryer or shampoo provided. Did get two very small soaps. We had bottom floor room with 2 queens. Large room. No mini frig or mico wave. Parking was covered right outside our door. Not bad for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angobanjo
Rochester, Washington
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I got in to town later in the evening and wanted to get a room at a motel that was right on the beach but there was no vacancy there so I settled for this place since it was the second place I saw. Upon checking in to my room I was nearly overcome with the powerful smell of Pinesol, it was similar to the smell of a tavern bathroom on a busy night. The room was dirty but frankly I was tired and just wanted to get some sleep so I crawled in to bed and tried to overlook the smell and the dirt in the room. I was awakened a couple of hours later by a loud noise that at first I couldn't identify but soon learned was the sound of someone snoring in the room next door. The walls were paper thin and it sounded like the snorer was in the same room, and every time someone in another room would flush a toilet or turn on the water the pipes would rattle.I had been planning to stay two nights since I was exploring the Redwoods area but in the morning my only thought was to get out of this nightmare. In my haste to leave I forgot an item and didnt remember until a couple of hours later as I was hiking through the Redwoods so I immediately went back to the motel to claim the item. When I arrived the woman at the desk said that housekeeping had not turned anything in but she would look in to it and I left my name and contact info fully expecting to hear that they had located the item. I waited 3 days and when I had heard nothing I called to check and was basically told that if I forgot the item it was too bad. I normally am very careful to check my room before I leave but I have on rare occasion forgotten an item at a hotel or motel and have always been able to call back and retrieve the item.This is the first time I have ever had an item stolen by housekeeping and although it wasn't an overly valuable item its the principle that they are so dishonest that anything a person may accidentally forget will be taken by the room cleaner and management is not concerned. There are many motels in town and I would recommend choosing any place other than this one.

Room Tip: I had a room that was accessed from a parking lot on the back side of the motel and in the morning a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Mace648
crlodge701, General Manager at Curly Redwood Lodge, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Sounds like nothing pleases you and on top of that you make accusations. If you had left something behind in your room we would have found it and set it aside in our lost and found and we would have sent it to you as we have always done with other guests and continue to do. Our reputation is top notch within our community and throughout the world and people like you that have a bad day just complain. Good luck in the future.
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Pulled into the Curly Redwood Lodge on the spur of the moment while heading home after a three week road trip. What a pleasant surprise! Spacious, comfortable, well-kept rooms – a few hundred yards from the beach and a great restaurant across the road (the Fisherman’s Restaurant).

The motel’s claim to fame is the fact that it was constructed from the wood of a single redwood tree in the early 1950s, and it has definitely maintained the “motor inn” persona from that period. The rooms are definitely retro – aside from the TV (which is at least 10 years old itself) and the wireless modem on the wall, the room could be right out of the TV series Mad Men. We had to use an actual key to open the door! Our room was clean, comfortable, and HUGE! The shower enclosure was ceramic tiled as opposed to the ubiquitous plastic tub/shower surrounds that are typical of most hotels these days. The chairs, though utilitarian, were more comfortable than they looked, and the queen-sized beds were firm and perfectly made. As well, the staff were friendly and informative.

Although we only stayed a single night, my wife and I agreed this was our favorite room of the entire trip. And at $90/night (including taxes), it was a great value. Our only regret was that we couldn’t stay longer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Anchor Beach Inn
#7 of 18 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!