“A Great Find”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Monterey, California
“A Great Find”
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Some reviews complain that the place doesn't look to have been updated since the 1950s. I found that to be a BIG plus. The motel is very clean, the check-in service was prompt and friendly, and of course the interior decoration was from the '50s. That is part of the motel's charm and ambience. Of course the place does have WiFi and 75 cable channels so it's not as if it hides from the 21st century.

The road noise from Highway 101 was negligible and contrary to what others have said, we couldn't hear anyone in our neighboring rooms. It was a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilsonville, Oregon
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I read the reviews for several motels in Crescent City, and while the ones for the Curly Redwood Lodge were mixed, this place seemed to be the best choice for the price. The previous reviewer claimed that they had to email to get reservations, but I just called the number on the website and had my reservations completed in a couple of minutes. The hotel's website says they have a AAA discount, but when I asked at check-in about it, the man at the desk (one of the managers?) said it was already applied, even though I hadn't mentioned it previously.

My friend and I got a two queen-bed room on the second floor, which would have had a nice view of the harbor if it hadn't been foggy for the majority of our stay. There was no microwave, fridge or coffee maker in the room, and while I was checking in, I overheard that there is no microwave available in the office, either, although the lobby does have coffee and tea. I was less than impressed by the woodwork, which is the motel's claim to fame. Although it is nice enough, it's more interesting in concept than reality (the entire hotel is paneled from a single giant curly redwood tree).

The room was large and very clean, except for a bit of staining on the grout in the shower. I probably wouldn't have noticed it except I had it in my mind that I'd be writing this review, and so tried to notice the small details. As a previous reviewer noted, the bathroom did only have a shower, but I don't usually take baths in motels, so a shower was enough for me. It was fairly spacious and there was plenty of hot water, and that what I consider to be the important thing. The carpet was clean and I actually enjoyed walking on it barefooted since it was so soft (more of a plush than the short pile in most hotels). The beds were comfortable, not too soft or too hard, in my opinion.

With the windows open, you could hear the marina's fog horn, although it rather reminded me of a far off train whistle more than a fog horn. It didn't seem too loud, and after a few minutes I quit hearing it. Looking at how the motels are lined up along that stretch of Hwy 101, I'd imagine it would be difficult to get away from that sound no matter where you stayed.

All in all, it was a good night's sleep for a decent price, and if I find myself back in Crescent City, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — no microwave/fridge
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank NeeCD
NL
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We stayed at the Curly Redwood Lodge in May 2008 for one night. Had a very spacious room with harbour view, having 2 queens + small but clean bathroom for only Usd 60 all-in. Although the motel was build a long time ago it is well maintained, same for the garden at the entrance. There are several restaurants in the area (seafood!). Free coffee and tea in the morning. In short: A really nice place, friendly people, and a very friendly price!

• Liked — Spacious room, location and price
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Albuquerque
Reviewed 29 May 2008

This is an adorable place. Constructed from one curly redwood tree, it is so charming. The rooms are huge, the carpet clean, the bed comfortable. The front desk staff are very nice and helpful. My husband is very, very picky about rooms, and he was thrilled with this one. And the price was absolutely great! Wonderful stop on our trip up the PCH to Portland from LA -- loved it!

• Liked — The large room and wi-fi
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gingergrif
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Reviewed 11 May 2008

This place looks like they have changed nothing since the 50's. The rooms are big & quiet. There are zero amenities other than hot water in the lobby in the morning.

• Stayed May 2008
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Traveling with 2 small children, we booked directly with the hotel after searching online for something with some character. This place did have a quaint sort of 50s feel, with pretty tile in the shower and old aluminum frame windows (I think even the lamps were original!), but the beds were creaky and springy, and with a door that entered to an indoor/outdoor hall, we could not open the east windows to allow a cross-breeze without inviting any passer-by to look in on us.

There is a greasy spoon across the street for inexpensive fisherman's breakfast (HUGE portions), and if you are a sprinter you can cross the highway to walk down by the ocean. For Crescent City, I suppose this is about what I expected, but I don't think I would recommend it to visitors particular about getting a good night's sleep, except in the off season. Our toddler was a terrible sleeper, and I pity the people who had to hear her fussing all night.

It wasn't such a bargain, in my book, at $75.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank finewhine69
Smithville,MO.
Reviewed 31 December 2007

I stayed here for a couple of days in early December and could not have been more pleased! My room was large and uncluttered, very clean, and the owners were terrific. Combined with off-season rates what more could you ask for?

• Liked — Large clean room, friendly people
  • Disliked — Poor internet access
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
Oceanfront Lodge
#15 of 19 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!