“Needs A Few Amenities”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This motel features paneling and doors made from one redwood tree harvested in 1952. The rooms are large and clean with older tube T.V's. No refrigerator, coffee machine or microwave. Hand soap in the bathroom but no shampoo. The wifi worked well in the room we were in. The beds are older but adequate. It's 7:15am here and the office isn't open to get coffee yet. Luckily there is a restaurant across the street that's open. The property is shaped like a horseshoe. The rooms on the north have a second level above them. The stairs were right outside our window with people tromping up and down for hours last night. For what they are charging they should provide a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. If you plan on staying here bring your own coffee pot and book one of the south side rooms. You'll sleep better for it.

Room Tip: South side rooms have no rooms above them. Bring your own coffee maker.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrMotoman

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is an older motel that has that 60's feel, but it was immaculately kept and very, very clean. The location was convenient to the boat launch and not too far from the town center. The person at the front desk was nice and gave us a little history of the place (and the massive tree it was made from). If you are planning on making a trip into the Redwood parks, this is a perfect place for the price.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

No frills hotel. For the area it was cheap and good. The room I had had new carpet, simple bed, and a decent bathroom. I would give it a higher rating but the walls are very very thin and I was woken up by the kids in the room next door talking very loud. The two working the front desk were happy to talk about how things used to be and try to figure out where I could get some gifts for people. We asked for few more towels, like 2 or so, and the maid gave us like 6 extra.

Room Tip: Right off of Highway 101 so if you want quite ask to be away from the road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tanya W
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband and two teenage daughters. Yes. they were disappointed there wasn't a pool or flat screen TV, but we had spent quite a lot on hotels in the previous few nights, and I was looking for something a little more budget friendly. When we pulled up, the motel reminded them of the motel from the Disney movie "Cars". Our room was large, but again, no frills (No microwave or fridge) and the furniture was dated, but that was part of the look - very retro. It was clean, and that is my main concern. There were no bad smells (as some others have stated), the property was well maintained, and it met our needs for the evening. They have coffee in the lobby in the morning, and the staff was friendly.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Clearly this is a lodging experience that will not satisfy everyone. I get where some of the less flattering reviews are coming from. The decor and amenities were dated, for sure. But the room was neat and clean and the property was well maintained. We stayed in a half-dozen different hotels during this trip west. I saw the Curley Redwood Lodge in my research and knew that it was not going to be the Hilton - anyone who was surprised by the accommodations was either not paying attention when checking out their website or they are delusional. We had fun, the place was clean and very reasonable and the owners were friendly and helpful. What more can you ask for? Oh! And then there's the single curley redwood tree that supplied the 57,000 board feet of building materials. That was kind of interesting!

2  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My, what a charming motel! It really brings back feelings of nostalgia and it's quite wonderful.

The history of the hotel itself is impressive, but I won't go into that. The rooms are spacious and decorated with fun Redwood furniture. Everything is clean, though outdated (though that's the charm).

Staff is warm and friendly. The exterior is lovely. Views are a can't miss!

This is our second time staying here, and we'd definitely come back for stay number three! :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WanderingAdventures
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The motel was "carved out of a single red wood tree" - there - thats the excitement, and its all down hill from there. Each room has some redwood panels in it, ok. The rooms were outdated, and smelled like moth balls. The carpeting was shag and who knows what was living it it was so old. The shower was a plastic shell crammed in a corner, the comforter and bedding, well, need to be replaced. The furnishing were old. My kids found a dead bug under the sheet, an earwig to be exact, so that was the bed I got to sleep on luck me. We checked for bed bugs and didnt see any (just saying we had to do this). I dont think a dime was put into this place since it was built in the 50s. I thought the staff were a bit grumpy. The town itself is sketchy. We tried to have a nice time at the beach, but were this homeless person (who appeard to be on drugs) kept trying to horn in on our fire, and we eventually had to leave the beach entirely. My kids were kind of freaked out for several hours and she became known as the infamous "sea hag", and a great halloween costume idea. If you are looking for a place to stay, I would find another hotel, and maybe even another city.

1  Thank EricG123
crlodge701, General Manager at Curly Redwood Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Let me correct you on a few because it seems you haven’t experienced much in historic properties, antiques, coastal towns, homeless people and the list goes on. Our furniture is original from the 50s, our showers are all tiled, not plastic, carpeting is high end low pile (not shag, though we did have it in the early 70s). We are a "blast from the past" favored by many who remember traveling with their parents and staying in large comfortable rooms with a home like atmosphere. We continue to keep our property in pristine shape, inside and out. In general you didn’t like anything our beautiful lodge and costal town has to offer, your loss. Happy travels!