“Travelers beware!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Curly Redwood Lodge
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
Clearfield, Utah
“Travelers beware!!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2005

After a long day of traveling, who would not be terribly disappointed with a non-working shower, only to find out that the motel office was closed, and no showers could be had until the next day?!? This was our experience at the "Curly"... So, hop in bed and then be prepared for the loud-and-clear snoring that easily carries through the ceiling, allowing us to monitor the breathing habits of our neighbor above us! The office staff simply offered a "sorry" regarding the shower the next morning (no refund, discount, or even concern), and when pressed, finally offered to let us wash in the room next door, after that guest had checked out. The problem was the bathroom had not been cleaned and we had to ask for that small detail... Oh, did I mention that the motorcycles and cars parked RIGHT outside our "suite" revved their engines bright and early??? The layout of the motel is retro, apparently in the day when man did not consider travelers primitive needs, such as sleep, etc. So much for "charm"; we left exhausted and several of us dirty and un-showered. In conclusion, I would strongly suggest folks avoid this motel which seemed so alluring and cozy on the net! Not even close!!!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank Christiof4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2005

The Curly Redwood Lodge is a unique hotel, for sure - it was made from a single redwood tree! The check-in lady was very nice and gave us hot water for our noodles, since there was no microwave or coffeemaker (or a fridge) in the room. Breakfast is interesting...they give you a voucher (if you ask for it) for a very bare-bones breakfast at a local casino (10-min drive), which was pretty smoked up, even though the french toast/pancakes were fine. The rooms were clean enough and very 1970s (even the TV looked 20 years old). Bathrooms seemed renovated and there was a shower stall. Although the hotel was interesting, I wish it had more in-room amenities, as well as its own breakfast.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank UK_Traveller3000
Reviewed 23 June 2005

I booked two rooms for two nights at the Curly Redwood Lodge based on Trip Advisor ratings and only stayed for one night. Out of the 5 adults that stayed at the lodge, not one would recommend the lodge for an overnight stay. The preserved redwood was interesting, but as expected, everything was very old. There was no temperature control in the rooms and on a hot night you have to open a window that faces the parking lot to let a breeze in. You end up trying to sleep through parking lot and street noise and hope the breeze reaches you to cool you off. The towels were razor thin, the ice buckets very small, the beds were uncomfortable, and one of the rooms we rented had a horrible salty mildew odor. We opened the window but still could not get rid of the stench. The hotel was booked and we could not be moved to another room. Eventually, we ended up going to the store to get air freshener and fabreeze to make the room bearable. The Curly Redwood Lodge earns two points for the interesting concept and excellent affordability. If you are looking for comfort (more than just a large room) and amenities, you might want to look elsewhere for a place to spend the night.

• Stayed June 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Quincy, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2005

The redwood used in the motel was interesting. The rooms were large and clean, and we experienced no problems, and the covered parking was nice in the mist and fog.

I felt somewhat intimidated when I was questioned as to whether or not we had pets, when we had already been told they were not allowed. The signs that were posted would leave little doubt as to the rules.

Also, it felt somewhat strange to find the TV and lamp were permanently attached to the tables. My husband could not see the TV from the bed, and there was no way to adjust it.

I personally did not feel the warmth and comfort that I enjoy when traveling.

5 Thank granpeggy2004
Reviewed 15 June 2005

It is so nice to find a historically preserved motel from the 50s. Nothing fancy, just that good home cooked, apple pie, kind of place, No advertisements in the room to remind us that we were not at home. None of the ammenities that you pay a handful of cash for but don't use. The cleanest, most comfortable room with all that beautiful Curly Redwood paneling in the rooms and outside too.
Close to the beach and the redwoods. Good restaurants close by.
Near to the best Thai Restaurant that side of San Francisco
Will stay there anytime we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 March 2005

What a fun 'n funky place! If you are a fan of Roadside America, this is the spot for you in Crescent City.

Decorated with 50's-vintage lamps and furniture, scrupulously maintained. This may be the cleanest room I have ever been in - it almost seemed sterilized it was so clean. The redwood panelling was very pretty. Also, at $45/night with free breakfast at the diner across the street, this is the least expensive room I can ever remember having booked.

Although it is right on the 101, it was winter, so I had my windows closed and didn't really hear any traffic. Also, since I was up and at 'em before dawn every day, I wasn't disturbed by cars outside my door (I was very careful not to do any disturbing, myself!).

And what richness surrounds you! Migrating birds, hushed redwood groves, the Wild and Scenic Smith River, spectacular coastal scenery...I will be back to Redwoods country and when I am, I will stay at the Curly!

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
santa monica, ca
Reviewed 19 January 2005

I was driving from Seattle to San Francisco in 10 days so I did not spend a lot of time in Crescent City. It seems like a stopping place for a lot of travelers on the way to somewhere else and it also seems to have a lot of seasonal visitors. Curley Redwood was fantastic. Don't expect a fancy hotel or a pool or jacuzzi BUT the people there are very friendly and the lodge has a very homey feel to it. The lodge has a carport for each room with additional parking for more than one vehicle. The neatest thing about the lodge was that it was made compeltely out of redwood trees and the rooms are pretty big and wide open. Also, there is a casino about 1 mile from the lodge and a pretty marina across the street. So though Crescent City left something to be desired, Curley Redwood made the stop extrememly pleasant and homey.

6 Thank sara2492
Anchor Beach Inn
#8 of 18 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area

Been to Curly Redwood Lodge? Share your experiences!