“Decent, clean hotel”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
Los Angeles, CA
“Decent, clean hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here for a night on our way up north to Oregon. It's definitely not a fancy place, but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the service is good. For the price we paid, it was a great value. It's also pretty close to the beach - less than a 5 minute drive so that was a place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Me and my boyfriend went on a trip up the West coast over the July 4th Holiday. Our stay at this motel was overall better than what we were expecting given other traveler reviews! The location is pretty central (Starbuck's next door is a plus!) and the property was kept nicely. I'd say it's a good place to stay for the proximity to the beach, the redwoods and the Oregon coastline.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coastalsuz
Lowden, Washington
Reviewed 29 May 2010

It was getting late on our travel and we needed a place to stay. Not being familiar to this city we noticed a motel that looked decent on the outside..so we took the chance before checking the rooms like we usually do. Went in to the office which looked very nice and talked to the gal at the front desk, first she was in a moody way and made us feel as if we were a bother. Well she practically threw the keys at us as she pushed us out the door with her bossy attitude. Finding our room number was easy since I asked very nicely for a bottom floor room and that is exactly what we got a room that hit flat bottom..when we unlocked the door it was all my muscular husband could do to push the door open as it was a tight fit and stuck!! The first thing I noticed was a musty stench coming from the room right out the door. My husband said just don't worry it is just the smell of the coast....HELLO..it was not a coastal smell it was a musty mildew smell that made me gag!!! It was so strong I was almost in tears. He just laughed at me to try to make me feel better since it was he who made the trip along the coast to late in the day. As we tried to close the door behind us it took a hard slam two times to get it to close..what a joke! The bathrooms were old and the windows were cracked away from the foundation frame letting air and bugs in. Creepy to say the least. I would say about 20 minutes later I was starting to get an allergy sensation as if animals had been in there as I am allergic to cats and dogs..I know there was animals in there. As for taking a shower in that awful shower I chose not to it was a risk I was not willing to take. As for sleeping in the bed I kept my clothes on and slept ontop of the middle blanket. I had to wrap a shirt of mine around my face to keep from getting sick from the smells. The reception was horrible for the so called free internet use..I actually got a better connection from the business next doors. The next morning I heard what appeared to be a starting of a diesel engine sound. I love diesel trucks and thought it was a motel customer leaving this horrible place early and decided to look out the back window. It was a dirty metal business starting up the work trucks and the windows were broke away from the frame enough that the diesel smells were coming in. What an awful experience. Do not stay at this place unless you want to just have a place to try to sleep in. I would have taken the chance to look elsewhere if I had known about this dump. Never again!! I have stayed at last minute hotels before but this was one of the worst. Next morning early..started up our truck and got the "H" out of there, to my horror on my new jacket was white cat hair all over me from sitting in a cloth sitting chair in the room..I about died!! Animals in the rooms were my worst nightmare..I knew it!! My husband has promised me that we will always check the rooms first before throwing our money away. As for other motels..there were others down the way if we had only known.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank justahavenfun

Travellers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

Oregon
Reviewed 11 March 2010

We have stayed here a few times before so I was not surprised. We were on a budget, but wanted to get away. The staff was very nice and the room was clean. We can bring our dogs here which is a plus. It is not a fancy place and it is not on the beach. I have no problem with this place because the price was right. Our room looked like it had be remodeled a little and the TV was nice. Ok place to stay for a quick weekend trip. The only complaint I have is it would be nice if the Wifi waas better so you could have it in your room. (Although it does state that it is offered in the lobby.)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We had the misfortune of staying at this America's Best Value on our way from San Francisco to Seattle and it was, without a doubt, one of the worst hotels we've ever stayed at. We chose it because we'd stayed at another America's Best Value in Colorado previously, and, though not luxurious by any means, it had been decent enough. In Crescent City, the Hampton Inn sounded great but was out of our price range; since the reviews of the America's Best Value seemed okay and we're members, we thought we'd give it a try. The first thing we did upon checking in was to ask for an upgrade, which is supposed to be free for members. The woman at the counter told us that we'd already been put in their best room. Well, I hate to think what the other rooms must have been like if this was the best (see my photos). Our room (and, frankly, the entire hotel except for the lobby, which is the only nice-looking part and very deceptive) was seriously run down and filthy. I take showers every day, and this is the only time in approximately 30 years that I've refused to set foot in a hotel's shower—yes, it was that bad. The beds were okay, and the only highlight of the place was that the TV seemed to have every possible cable channel on earth (all with excellent reception). But otherwise, this place was a real nightmare. (The spa was disgusting too—murky, dirty, dark—needless to say, we passed on that.) We didn't even try the breakfast in the morning—just got out of there as fast as possible and grabbed some coffee and pastries at the Starbucks next door (never have we been so glad to see a Starbucks!!). Avoid this place—it will ruin that night of your trip.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank CaliforniaPlanner
Sussex, England
Reviewed 28 August 2009

There are just too many small faults with this Motel for me to recommend it. You can forgive any of the individual problems, but the combination make this a poor motel. The WiFi is very weak. Even though I was given a room where "it is good" I had to stand an the public veranda outside my room to get signal. The room was clean but bland and tired with no soft seating. The door stuck too so you had to bang it to make it close... and so did other guests in adjoining ropoms. The fridge was noisy and so was the plumbing when neighbouring rooms used their water. Receptionist was helpful, but cold. There's no A/C (sign says "ask for fan") and no net curtain on the window meaning I had curtains drawn all my stay to stop people seeing in. It may be a little kitch, but in this case that means compromise. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Chesterfield, MO
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Pulling into America’s Best Value Inn you leave leave 2009, and enter a time portal back to a vintage motor hotel of the 1950's. With redwood decking and stairwells this motel really is a trip to the past.
Check in was easy but the room they gave me was unmade and dirty. They quickly got me another room that was ready, so I settled into Room 264. The room was very 1950’s with wood paneling, a large walk in closet and bathroom with lots of “antique” Formica. There was only a shower in my room, but it was large with lots of that Formica! There is no air conditioning, but they have fans if you need them, and most rooms have a large window facing the parking lot and a small window in the bathroom for good cross ventilation. I was able to quickly cool my room down with the windows open. The heat is very noisy, it sounds like marbles are in the fans, and even in June, I had to run the heat for a while. TV reception was poor in my room, but seemed better in others. Towels are very thin, and so are the walls, so you can hear your neighbors.
The hot tub is in a building in the parking lot, and was cloudy, but I believe it is because they don’t use chlorine but another chemical (probably Bromine) to keep it clean which produces the brown color. The sauna worked well and was very nice. You just need to turn it on about 20 minutes before you plan to use it.
To be honest, I hated this hotel on the first night; it was not nearly as nice as the Comfort Inn from the night before. But by the second night, I got used to it and slept great. It has its own charm. The location is great near lots of restaurants including Denny’s and McDonald’s, and it is an easy 5 minute drive to the coast to watch the spectacular sunsets. I drove to the redwoods from here and it was an easy drive on Highway 101.
So if you are into nostalgia and want to experience a 1950’s style motor hotel, this is the place, and at $50 plus tax for one person, it was a bargain. If you are expecting a modern luxury hotel, look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo