“very very bad”
Review of Penny Saver Inn

Penny Saver Inn
Reviewed 24 August 2010

i had a very bad experience their i came from san jose drove in the pennysaver after a seven1/2 hour drive well i walked in and ask for a room for the weekend they ask for a 50 dollars deposit that was fine i paid for my stay when i came back saturday they took my clothesand suietcase and put them in the laundry room and took my 50 dollars the desk clark was very rode not only that i went threw my suietcase and notice they stole 20 dollaes out of my suietcase thats 70 dollars they took from me so if you ask me for a place to stay no tharts not it in less you like your things stloen from you so please pay a little more some where else and be safe.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank scoobydoo63
pennysaverinn, Owner at Penny Saver Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Thank you to everyone that has posted a review. To all the people that wrote a bad review, as the Owner of the property I personally want to send my sincere apologies. I was not present on the property during these times.
Due to the problems that were posted on these reviews and others, I started looking closely into my management. I found all the problems listed and much more. I took it all under advisement.
I FIRED the management teams. (John and Pam) (Donald and Katelyn)
I HIRED a new team, James and Genevieve. This team has experience not only in hospitality but customer relations. James has many years of experience with maintenance. He has been working on updating the rooms. Genevieve is a business and marketing student at the university. She has been working on computerizing the complete motel. Both managers have spotless backgrounds. The managers are honest and fair people.
Each room has been thoroughly cleaned. Housekeeping is done daily in each room. The grounds are cleaned daily. The continental breakfast is only during July thru September. The pool and hot tub will both be up and running soon; we are repainting, tiling, and replacing heaters.
We offer discounts for AAA, AARP, Military, Senior, and Students. We offer packages for Families or groups. We have Holiday package specials. The rates start at $49.00 and up. All our rooms are two queen beds or one king. We have suites with two rooms. There are microwaves, refrigerators, and coffee pots in select rooms. Soon all rooms will have these, along with iron w/iron board, hair dryer, alarm clock, and NEW pillows.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 20 June 2009

I stopped here on my way to a seminar in Oregon. The price was very reasonable, and when I inquired about staying in a quiet room because I'm a light sleeper, the desk clerk kindly provided me with a family suite at no extra cost because that room would be the quietest. The room was plain but it had everything I needed, including a small refrigerator (note to future guests - plug it in! I didn't notice the fridge was unplugged and my food spoiled). The room was clean and relatively quiet for being next to a road. Overall, I got a great bargain, and I enjoyed the friendly staff, who made me feel welcome.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank WindySkies
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Great Hotel to stay at for the price! The staff was very friendly. The front desk clerk let us check in at 7am at no extra charge! The room was a little old, but very clean. I have stayed at many hotels in Crescent City over the years and The Penny Saver Inn has been the best one.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 September 2007

No surprise on the facility, what you see as you drive in is what you get. Our ATT/Cingular cell phone couldn't get a signal so we made the mistake of using the phone with our Verizon Calling Card. For a total of 12 minutes of calls (4 at 3 mins each) to Portland OR and San Francisco, our next month's bill had an $85.00 charge -- about $7.00 a minute. To add insult to injury, the following month we had an additional $16.63 in charges -- 1.99 for "Jubillstate Ment Fee," 10.05 for "Univ Svc Fee," and 4.59 for "USF Carrier Admin Fee." All the additional charges were from the criminally expensive phone service at "Pennysaver," not from Verizon. Verizon in Massachusetts charges a total of $1.90/month for the USF fees -- and that's with unlimited local/long dist. from home.

It was my mistake that I didn't dial the Verizon 800 number and then use the calling card (because I didn't have the card but I remembered the card number but not the 800 number). Still, I'll never have anything to do with Pennysaver and I'll go out of my way to tell others to avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Booked a stay for my family(Mother70,husband39,2 children 8+6)and self.I made reservations to stay 2 nights.Upon check in there was problems parking for a full house.During c/i a maint. worker for the hotel came in and said"it's hard to get mad at guest with more then 1 car when I have 3 parked her'and laughed.Finished c/i,got key and went to room.The place was neat but dirty.Bathroom only had shower and we used a towel to stand on to shower.There were roaches and the pool is only open from 4 pm to 10 pm.So,after the one night,we woke at 9 am to prepare to check out.BUT the manager said I paid for two nipms andI had to give a 24 hour notice???So,I do remember signing a sales ticket that was paid on my debit card.So,I asked how are you going to credit the one night to my card.He replied I had to give a 24 hour notice to cancel.I explained I stayed the one night and he said I still needed to give a 24 hr notice.So,I then asked can we get in the pool and he replied the pool opens at 4pm.I said that sucks and he said I suck < [--] my husband walks in and says call the police to settle this now.They called the police and said we were unruly and still would not offer a refund,they actually said to go and keep the key for we would be registered in it for the following night!While the police were there I gave That idiot the key and left with my family to the wonderful Northwoods Best Western and had a wonderful time with a great pool and a warm breakfast!Please Be advised of PENNYSAVER INN! it is a true night mare!!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2007

If youre looking for just a bed to sleep in this is the cheapest place I think in Crescent City. The room was clean but a little musty. What concerned me was the black mold in the bathroom! Also the soap holder in the tub was nothing I would put my soap in, yuck! So I didnt shower the one night we were there, not a huge deal. Bed was comfortable enough. Wouldnt stay here for an extended period of time meaning more than one night but seriously would rather pay a little more money and not be creeped out.

• Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 19 June 2006

After spending a full day in the Redwood Park in Oct 2005, I needed a place in Crescent City to sleep before heading out the next day. Just driving by, most of the hotels near the water seemed overpriced when all I needed was a place to sleep so I gambled and tried the Penny Saver Inn. Just driving by, it didn't seem too impressive, but you can tell a lot from the cars in the parking lot and they looked OK. I found the owner to be very friendly and they only charged $50 or $60, so I went with it. The room itself was pretty basic...smelled a little musty and had an entrance door that wouldn't have won any security awards. However, I must say it was the absolute cleanest motel room I have ever seen. There is quite a bit of noise from the adjacent highway, so bring earplugs. The next morning, I got up early enough to drive to the water and watch the sunrise over the mountains...probably one of the most beautiful and peaceful sunrises I've ever seen.

I wouldn't necessarily pick this place if I were going to be staying for several days or spending a lot of time in the room, but if all you need is a basic place to sleep, it will meet that need at a more than reasonable rate.