“The phones are an outrageous hidden charge”
Review of Penny Saver Inn

Penny Saver Inn
Worcester, MA
“The phones are an outrageous hidden charge”
Reviewed 7 September 2007

No surprise on the facility, what you see as you drive in is what you get. Our ATT/Cingular cell phone couldn't get a signal so we made the mistake of using the phone with our Verizon Calling Card. For a total of 12 minutes of calls (4 at 3 mins each) to Portland OR and San Francisco, our next month's bill had an $85.00 charge -- about $7.00 a minute. To add insult to injury, the following month we had an additional $16.63 in charges -- 1.99 for "Jubillstate Ment Fee," 10.05 for "Univ Svc Fee," and 4.59 for "USF Carrier Admin Fee." All the additional charges were from the criminally expensive phone service at "Pennysaver," not from Verizon. Verizon in Massachusetts charges a total of $1.90/month for the USF fees -- and that's with unlimited local/long dist. from home.

It was my mistake that I didn't dial the Verizon 800 number and then use the calling card (because I didn't have the card but I remembered the card number but not the 800 number). Still, I'll never have anything to do with Pennysaver and I'll go out of my way to tell others to avoid it like the plague.

• Liked — The pool, when it was available -- strange hours
  • Disliked — Pathetic hidden phone charges
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
santa rosa california
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Booked a stay for my family(Mother70,husband39,2 children 8+6)and self.I made reservations to stay 2 nights.Upon check in there was problems parking for a full house.During c/i a maint. worker for the hotel came in and said"it's hard to get mad at guest with more then 1 car when I have 3 parked her'and laughed.Finished c/i,got key and went to room.The place was neat but dirty.Bathroom only had shower and we used a towel to stand on to shower.There were roaches and the pool is only open from 4 pm to 10 pm.So,after the one night,we woke at 9 am to prepare to check out.BUT the manager said I paid for two nipms andI had to give a 24 hour notice???So,I do remember signing a sales ticket that was paid on my debit card.So,I asked how are you going to credit the one night to my card.He replied I had to give a 24 hour notice to cancel.I explained I stayed the one night and he said I still needed to give a 24 hr notice.So,I then asked can we get in the pool and he replied the pool opens at 4pm.I said that sucks and he said I suck < [--] my husband walks in and says call the police to settle this now.They called the police and said we were unruly and still would not offer a refund,they actually said to go and keep the key for we would be registered in it for the following night!While the police were there I gave That idiot the key and left with my family to the wonderful Northwoods Best Western and had a wonderful time with a great pool and a warm breakfast!Please Be advised of PENNYSAVER INN! it is a true night mare!!!!

• Liked — I thought it would be the pool but that didn't happen,especially the roaches were horrifying
  • Disliked — About the 24 cancelation policy,If you c/i for 2 nites you pay upfront and when you TRY to c/o after one nite they say
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

Oregon
Reviewed 27 July 2007

If youre looking for just a bed to sleep in this is the cheapest place I think in Crescent City. The room was clean but a little musty. What concerned me was the black mold in the bathroom! Also the soap holder in the tub was nothing I would put my soap in, yuck! So I didnt shower the one night we were there, not a huge deal. Bed was comfortable enough. Wouldnt stay here for an extended period of time meaning more than one night but seriously would rather pay a little more money and not be creeped out.

• Stayed July 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 June 2006

After spending a full day in the Redwood Park in Oct 2005, I needed a place in Crescent City to sleep before heading out the next day. Just driving by, most of the hotels near the water seemed overpriced when all I needed was a place to sleep so I gambled and tried the Penny Saver Inn. Just driving by, it didn't seem too impressive, but you can tell a lot from the cars in the parking lot and they looked OK. I found the owner to be very friendly and they only charged $50 or $60, so I went with it. The room itself was pretty basic...smelled a little musty and had an entrance door that wouldn't have won any security awards. However, I must say it was the absolute cleanest motel room I have ever seen. There is quite a bit of noise from the adjacent highway, so bring earplugs. The next morning, I got up early enough to drive to the water and watch the sunrise over the mountains...probably one of the most beautiful and peaceful sunrises I've ever seen.

I wouldn't necessarily pick this place if I were going to be staying for several days or spending a lot of time in the room, but if all you need is a basic place to sleep, it will meet that need at a more than reasonable rate.