“Extremely good value”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I've stayed in a lot of motels in Crescent City (it's about halfway between our home near Santa Cruz, CA, and my mother-in-law's home in Lincoln City, OR)...to the point where my husband says, if I ever become president, they're going to have to put up a sign at the entrance to the town saying "Audrey slept here." Most are OK. The Econo Lodge, on the other hand, totally exceeded expectations.

From the outside, it's pretty much what you would expect: standard American motor court, kind of boxy, rooms opening to the parking lot, etc. It's right on 101 (on your right, if you're coming from the south), like most motels in the city, so it's very convenient and easy to find.

The inside of the room, though, was truly surprising...very spacious (we had room 108, which is a double queen), extremely clean, well-appointed. In addition to the beds and nightstand, our room came with a small corner table with two chairs, a chest of drawers, a nice flat-screen TV, a mini-fridge and microwave, an ironing board, an iron, and a hair dryer. I think the motel must have undergone a renovation since the last time I stayed there (about 10 years ago), as everything from the carpet and paint job to the bed spreads looked very modern and new.

Wi-fi worked GREAT...good, fast, connection, even with multiple devices connected (which gives the lie to what the rude woman at Curly Redwood Lodge -- where I will NEVER stay again -- told me last summer when we couldn't get connected: "Well, it's because the internet in Crescent City is just bad!"). TV also worked great, and got a good selection of channels.

The beds were super-comfy (and I'm very picky about this, having woken up with many a backache from bad motel beds!).

There were a couple of very nice touches in the bathroom I just have to mention: 1) The shower head was very well-positioned to accommodate taller guests (and also gave great water pressure), 2) a handle mounted on the wall made it easier for someone like me, with balance issues, to get into and out of the shower safely, and 3) the textured, non-slip bottom of the shower actually WORKED (I've stepped down on to many that don't...to the point that I'm very wary of them).

The hotel is very conveniently located across the street from a couple of fast food places and a small supermarket. There's a larger Safeway and other restaurants just down the street. And, like just about every other motel in Crescent City, it's not far from various area attractions.

We didn't eat the free breakfast, as we had other plans, but we did check it out. Pretty standard American "continental" breakfast: Belgian waffles, a selection of cereals, a selection of bread for toasting and pastries, and some fruit.

In an over-priced town filled with motels that run from mediocre to truly horrible, the Econo Lodge is a clear standout for the budget-minded traveler who wants to stay in a place that is clean and comfortable with reasonably good amenities. I will almost certainly stay here on my next trip through Crescent City.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the ground floor, so stairs aren't a problem. If you need a shower without a ba...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank RedwolfCalifornia

Reviewed 27 March 2013

If you plan on doing more than sleeping, forget about this place. It was clean, wifi sucked, so did breakfast, but we parked right outside our room and it was convenient. Nothing more or less. Don't usually watch TV but since There is no wifi, I explored a few channels....

It was note the worst place I stayed on my two week driving odyssey, but don't plan to return.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Weej1967
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Far exceeded expectations for an Econo Lodge: well maintained, clean, good bed and pillows, flat screen TV, fluffy new towels, ironing board and iron, shampoo and cream bottles, extensive 'Continental Breakfast' (bagels, English muffins, cream cheese, bananas, 2 types of cereal and milk, waffles, coffee, tea, and juice). Excellent for the price, great location for traveling. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Econo Lodge, Crescent City is located directly on HY 101. You would think it would be noisy, but in fact it is quiet and nice.

Rooms are large for an older Motel.

Management was very helpful.

Heating is a challenge, with small wall heaters, but if you turn them up upon arrival (I stayed on a cold, wet March night), then room heated up nicely in about 2 hours. Not an issue at all.

This is an older Motel, but for the price, was a very good value!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Quiet and clean and inexpensive dont always go together but they do here. We spent a Sat night here and were quite pleased with the value received. Our dinner for 2 cost us more than our room. Good Value.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the back. Thats where all the drunken Chicas and Cholos stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 314Fred314
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I travel frequently for work. This is by far the worst motel I have ever stayed. Not sure how they are a AAA approved. We stayed 2 nights. The first night we woke up to a room full of ants. They moved us for the second night. Again, we woke up to ants. The rooms were dirty, dried food on the bed and floor, blood spatters on the wall. The WIFI didnt work, as we were too far away from the office. The service was equally as bad. This continental breakfast was minimal, and the milk for the cereal was warm. I will never stay there again. We would have been better off spending our Xmas Eve and Xmas night in our truck.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ken s
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Well, at first this wasn't such a bad hotel. The price and location made it desirable. We prefer to be able to park in front of our room since we were on a long trip so that was quite nice. The room was just average. There was a coffee pot, hair dryer, microwave and fridge. A nice TV as well. The walls seemed quite thin, we could hear our neighbors coughing through the night. The bed was just okay, with really uncomfortable pillows, and the cleanliness average for this type of hotel. The shower curtain was curved, which is nice for extra space.
The thing that bothered us the most... the ants. We didn't notice them at first, but the following morning when I moved the coffee pot the counter was covered in small ants. Then we noticed them on the walls and coming out of the trim around the bathroom door. There were also potato bugs on the wall. They were NOT near our clothes thankfully, or in the bed but were around the sink and bathroom. Overall, it's an "okay" location.

Room Tip: We were in the middle of the property. Rooms toward the middle or back are probably quieter since t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple