“Wouldn't stay here again, too old and dirty” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge - Crescent City

Econo Lodge - Crescent City
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Crescent City
Victoria, Canada
“Wouldn't stay here again, too old and dirty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I don't expect much from a low priced motel. Just give me a clean room and OK service. This place doesn't even give that. Unfriendly staff (didn't ever say hello, seemed very sullen). Dirty room (stains on carpet, huge water stain on ceiling over bed, spilled coffee around maker). Thin, stained towels. Breakfast area was dirty. Served peanut butter from a communal jar (is that even legal???). Gross, watered down juice. I would never stay here again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Casa Blanca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Although the room smelled of spices it was clean, the beds were not uncomfortable, the water was SUPER hot. It was close to 101. It slept 6 people well. Breakfast was scarce. The gentleman at the desk was friendly and efficient (at 2 AM).

Room Tip: 3 QN room was big enough for 6 people to sleep and move about comfortably.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank M. K
Daytona Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is a late review from our summer road trip in 2012. We arrived in Crescent City as the weather turned a little bad. We had reservations through Choice Hotel for this hotel. There were not to many other options in this area. The hotel was an older motel with 2 one story buildings. As my wife checked us, I observed two questionable women, charcoaling ribs, behind a van, directly in front of their room, The flames were about 3 feet high, with a large cloud of smoke. Needless to say, we were given the room next to them. I was waiting for the van to blow up.
The desk clerk understood when we asked to change rooms, once he saw what was going on, even though he did nothing about it.
All during the night, traffic was driving through the motel lot, blowing horns, and having loud conversations. We woke to find a huge pile of dog crap behind our car. We decided against the breakfast, which appeared to be coffee and stale donuts. It took 10 minutes to check out, as we could not find the desk clerk.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Crescent City hotels

Naples, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

This was a bad experience from the very beginning...I called Choice Hotels to redeem my points for a free stay and did not have enough points for the Quality Inn in the same city so once I took a visual from the outside, I called them back and said ok on this Econo Lodge. After a couple of personal phone calls we went inside and I told the gentleman at the desk that I had just made a reservation over the phone...it took about 3 times of telling him that I did not speak to him but Choice's toll free number for him to understand this. Next he tells me that the King room that I reserved is not available and "is two ok". Two beds??? sure. Then he said "149". I'm like no it's free I used my points and he laughs and says "noooo, that you're room number". Then he's like ok. I asked him if he needed my ID or credit card and he said no. I thought that was REALLY strange but I was like ok.

We went to our room and there was no AC, only heat which I was bummed about because we like the noise of the AC to drown out the traffic noise, but the room was in good condition and clean. We did not bring any of our stuff in and then left to drive around and take a look at a couple beaches, watch sunset, then went to dinner.

Three hours later we return to our room and there is a light on inside the room which I was almost certain that I had turned out on the way out. I tried our card key three times with no luck and then we heard voices from inside the room!!!!!!! I high tailed it to the office, waited for the guy to get off the phone and then asked him numerous times why he had given our room to someone else for which he had no other response other than making a few noises and shaking his head alot. We made him accompany us back to the room just to be certain that we in fact did not take anything into the room.

The people inside were very nice and understanding, but I was not at all. He asked "you want another room?" I said NO, that we were going somewhere else, handed him the key and told him I would call Choice Hotels to get my points refunded back to my account. We could not leave there quick enough.

Whatever you do take my advice and do not stay here. It was an all around bad experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I've been driving for a LONG time. I started in Maine 11 days ago. After some people in Portland, OR told me to take 101 down to San Francisco instead of the I-5, I was in kind of a bind. 101 added three hours to the trip and I was exhausted. As cute as all the little independent roadside motels looked, there was no one to sell me a room by the time I was ready to stop driving. I'd started playing the "maybe in the next town" game that I've dubbed "road fatigue chicken." En route to Seattle, this ended with me sleeping in a truck stop parking lot. My friends hadn't warned me that there would be no truck stops along route 101.

I was starting to get scared when I came upon Crescent City and, to my abject relief, a budget motel. I'd stayed at a horrifyingly gross (blood on the sheets in three separate rooms) motel in Denver, so I was worried about cleanliness. I'm working with $100 a day for all expenses, so I'd also been worried about finding someplace cheap. Imagine my relief when the kind gentleman answered the doorbell and got me into a room for $65 at 1:15 AM. Imagine the near giddiness when I walked into my (smoking) room and it smelled like cleaning products. The beds had crisp, clean sheets, the dresser looked like it would pass a white glove test, there was a microwave, fridge, toiletries, coffee, a clean bathroom, and a nice TV. The motel gods have cut me a break with this one!

• Stayed August 2013
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

The room was clean, beds were comfy, price was under $100. Just what we needed while on the road. It's right across the street from a Starbucks as well. Free breakfast, parking and internet. Not much to choose from in town, it served us well.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machines!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We called this place while we were driving through the mountains on our way to Crescent City. They were one of the only places with a vacancy. The online photo and reviews made it seem like a pleasant place to stay. As we pulled up this was NOT the case! Let's just say it had the look of a seedy motel, the kind that are sure to pass along bed bugs to its visitors. There was a barefoot man lingering around the parking lot. The place was in a rough neighborhood and looked like it fit right in. When I called to cancel our reservation, the woman on the phone spoke barely any English and set the phone down to check on a question I had. She must have forgotten about me because I heard burping, conversation, burping, banging, burping, and other loud noises in the background. Did I mention there was a lot of obnoxious burping going on in the background? Super gross. Super unprofessional staff. I would not stay here if I were you.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family