“Wonderful Getaway!”
Review of StoneBrook Resort

StoneBrook Resort
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

StoneBrook offered everything my husband and I were looking for in a little private getaway. The river was very close and beautiful with plenty of places to sit and relax by it. Our private hot worked beautifully and we had a great view of the stars. We grilled steaks one evening and ate out on the patio. Perfect little trip!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Tamara E

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was the third year in a row that we have traveled from Kansas to stay at Stonebrook. My wife and I absolutely love this place. Mike is a wonderful host. The rooms are always clean and well attended. We especially enjoy the gas fireplace and the hot tub just outside our door. We are already planning a trip in the fall next year to stay a week.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms with a hot tub overlooking the river.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The property gets a '4', but the service gets a '2' - thus the '3' average.

My husband and I stayed at Stonebrook for one night, with Estes Park being the final leg of our 6-day Colorado vacation. I had booked Cottage 5 at least a month in advance through their website, and specified that the day we would be arriving was our three-year wedding anniversary.

Regarding service:
On the morning of the day we were to arrive in Estes Park, I received a voice message from Mike asking if I would mind switching to Cottage 7 upon arrival, as Cottage 5's current guests wished to stay another night. This wasn't a problem, so I called back and left a message that I was okay with the switch. We arrived at Stonebrook shortly before 3:00pm. No one was in the office. We waited awhile, and then called the phone number for Mike posted at the reception desk. He said he left our key in the door of Cottage 7 and to just go on in and we would "touch base" in an hour or so upon his return to the office. We went in to drop off our stuff, went to the grocery store, brought the groceries back to the cottage, ate lunch, and never heard anything during that time, so we left - we only had a few hours to explore Rocky Mountain National Park, and we didn't want to waste time. We came back to the cottage from RMNP at about 7:00pm, and my husband went over to the office to inquire about Wi-Fi. He received the log-in info and also requested more towels since we were planning to go in the hot tub, which he was told would be brought to our room shortly. The towels never arrived. The next day when we checked out, the woman at the front desk just took the key - didn't inquire about our stay, exchange any pleasantries, nothing. I never even physically saw Mike. Fine, whatever. None of these incidents individually were anything major, but all of them taken together left me with the impression that this place does not care much about its guests. Mike could call to ask us to switch cottages in order to book another guest for the evening, but couldn't call us to make sure that we were checked in okay and everything was in order? I think I would be less put-off if Stonebrook was described as "condos" rather than a "resort." The term resort implies some level of customer care and hospitality, while the term condo implies more of a "you're on your own" vibe. The use of the term resort also led me to believe that our anniversary would be made special - perhaps a bottle of wine, or a note, or even verbal well-wishes. None of the above transpired. I was disappointed, but clearly my expectations were too high. Before writing this post, I perused through some of the other TA reviews to see if anyone had had a similar experience. Apparently not, but I did learn that there are quite a few "rules" which, of course, I was never apprised of since we did not have a proper check-in process. You have to clean the kitchen yourself and take out your own trash or be charged extra? I had NO idea, and we didn't do either of those things before checking out. I'm waiting to see if I get an extra charge, which I will dispute immediately since we were never apprised of these rules during a proper check-in process. I was also unaware that there was not daily maid service until I read some other TA reviews - thank god we were only there for one night.

The cottage:
The cottage was just beautiful. I loved the rustic decor. The kitchenette was lovely, and so was the fireplace and living room area. We didn't use the in-room jacuzzi, but would have if we had been there for more than one night. The back porch leading down to the creek took my breath away. After our time at RMNP, we came home and grilled and spent some time in the hot tub which could not have been more wonderful. My husband and I enjoyed some champagne while listening to the creek, and it was really a special anniversary. We were very pleased until we went to bed. Only then did we realize that there was no air conditioning. It had gotten up to 75 during the day so was slightly warm in the cottage, so we were forced to sleep with all the windows open (which, I confess, made me slightly nervous). It was cooled off by morning, but remained slightly warm for most of the night. We also did not enjoy the bed. It was a queen bed in an alcove with no night stands, and the mattress was AWFUL - old and cheap. We both slept awful. I didn't like the bathroom much either (was not as clean as I would have preferred), but I DID appreciate that there was a fan in the bathroom - I hate getting dressed in a steamy room after my shower.

So, overall, the property was pretty good (I would say the pluses outweighed the minuses), but the service was shoddy. Perhaps it was just an off day, since everyone else here on TA seems to have had such a different experience.

2  Thank Sarah Z
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Love, love, love this place!! We've only been there once (December 2012), but I cannot wait to go back - hopefully soon! It was so clean, cozy and so relaxing. Sitting in the hot tub by the river was awesome! It was perfect for our anniversary :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was a last minute trip for us and it turned out perfectly! The resort is located about a mile away from town in a beautiful location by the brook, and about 3 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park. We booked one of the cabins and it was very private with our own deck with grill and hot tub. The cabin itself seemed recently renovated and perfectly designed for the mountains. There is a view of the river from one of the side rooms, our only wish was that we could see it from the main living room. We grilled out every night and it was so relaxing. Plus, all the essentials we needed for cooking were provided in the cabin. Mike is super helpful and friendly, and made us feel right at home! Would definitely stay here again!!!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Beautiful place, right down to the babbling brook right out front of our cozy cottage. Everything we needed (and then some) was provided, very very clean, great set up for a couple. The quiet right in the middle of nature was extremely relaxing and comfortable. It was great to sit on the bank of the river in the hot tub relaxing and enjoying the evenings. Mike was very friendly and efficient, and the doggy welcoming committee gave us warm fuzzies from the very first moment. Wonderful weekend get-a-way for us both!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My room was 25 ft from the river with my own private deck, gas grill and outdoor hot tub! The unit was clean and inviting and well appointed with everything you need to make your stay comfortable. Management was very courteous and helpful and the price was quite reasonable. The only negative was the only piece of furniture for getting cozy in front of the fire place was a small love seat - not really adequate for 2 people to sit comfortably. I would suggest the management trade those out for a small sofa or sectional.

Room Tip: This resort offers rooms right on the river with private decks and hot tubs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo