“Perfect Home Base for RMNP Trip”
Review of StoneBrook Resort

StoneBrook Resort
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A long time user of trip advisor for planning my vacations, I of course used it to make my decision on where to stay in Estes. I could not have been happier with my choice. As others have said, Mike is committed to making your stay pleasant and enjoyable, and is a font of knowledge as to where to go for whatever you may want to do while in the area.

The lodging itself was just fantastic. Spotless. Seriously spotless. I have stayed in downtown 5 star hotels that could not compare to the level of meticulous neatness that this cabin provided. We opted for Cabin 4 as it was just myself and my sister and we were planning to do most of our sight-seeing in the park. We made use of the fridge for quick, easy meals, but there was also two stove tops and a microwave. Just perfect for us. The bathroom was spotless. Only a stand up shower, but that's all we needed. A recent review mentioned trouble with hot water- but we did not experience this at all. We took back to back showers each night we were there and found plenty of hot water to spare.

I will definitely return to Stonebrook as it has earned not just my stamp of approval, but my trust. Beautiful property, clean and an amazing price for the area. Thank you Mike!

Room Tip: Cabin 4 is cozy and quaint, with one queen bed. It's soft! I prefer harder mattresses, so jus...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I personally have been coming to Estes Park for about 30 years with my family and just love it. I turned my fiancé on to Estes Park about 8 years ago and we've been back together every summer.
I inadvertently wound up picking Stonebrook Resort thinking I had booked somewhere else with the word brook in it, and it turned out being the best mistake I've ever made! This is our 5th or 6th year coming back to Stonebrook and we absolutely love it! Mike the owner is such a sweetheart, very personable and will do anything to make your stay more comfortable. He truly feels like a long time friend because he makes you feel so welcome. The rooms and cabins are beautiful and clean and right on the Fall River which is very important to us. The grounds are beautiful and quiet. You can't go wrong staying here.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I booked this place online after doing a lot of research. This place seemed to be exactly what we were looking for for our Anniversary trip-a nice place to get away, rustic feel, quiet and away from the hustle of the main shopping area and near the river. When we arrived (June 11, 2014) Mike was more than pleasant and welcoming. He gave us all kinds of recommendations for places to eat, shop and hike. We had reserved Cottage #6 (facing the parking area) and had a cute little table and two chairs out front. Only has a couple of windows and two shared walls with other cottages to the rear and the side. The grounds were kept clean and appealing as was our cottage when we arrived. All the cottages are a little different, so check out their website to choose the right one for you. This one had a kitchenette with a dorm size fridge, plenty of cabinets, sink, cooking utensils (w/dishes, pots/pans, silverware, pitcher, etc.), lots of counter space and a 2-burner stove. The bathroom wasn’t overly large, but it was sufficient although not much storage space and no tub. One thing we were not warned about is that this cottage is on a tankless hot water heater and only allows for enough hot water for about a 10 min time frame. I wish I would have been told this before finding out the hard way…yep head full of shampoo and ice cold water. It doesn’t take long to heat back up, but it makes taking showers a little awkward.

We were there for 3 nights and really did enjoy our time there. It is so relaxing and loved hanging out by the river with the chairs and benches(the hammocks weren’t out yet). We even hiked up the trail that is across the bridge and up the mtn. Great view, but a steep hike.

The only other issue we had is that we didn't have heat for 2 of the 3 nights. In their defense we didn't say anything until the next morning as we got in late the 1st night and was completely exhausted. A short time later someone did come in and took a look at it, but couldn't fix it. By the 3rd day when Mike came by to check on it the heat (fireplace), it came right on...several times. No idea what the problem was. I’m just glad it never got too terribly cold while we were there. There is a heat lamp in the bathroom that was used quite a bit. There was a small table with 2 chairs, a nightstand, a tall dresser, a nice leather love seat, a chest/coffee table and a ceiling fan. All in great condition.

The bed was fine although a little worn and seemed to dip in the middle. There was only a few towels and had to request more, but they came quickly. No maid service unless its requested. You must clean the kitchen before you leave or be charged $100 cleaning fee. The wifi worked fine, except in the evenings when I assume more people were on it.

I know it sounds like we had a rough time, but it was really nice and could put most of it in the back of our minds. Our white water trip was awesome and a highlight of our trip (A-1 Wildwater) as was our massage from Elements of Touch. We ate at Rock Mtn. Tavern (casual) and Twin Owl Steakhouse (make ressies), although different type places-both were really good!!

Stonebrook is about 2 miles from town and is very convenient to most things in Estes. I love the setting and Mike was super about everything, but until some things change I’m not sure we’ll be back.

4  Thank TinkerShell15
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed three nights at StoneBrook. It was a relaxing, renewing time! What really made the place nice was Mike. He visited with us for a long time, telling us all about Estes Park, RMNP...offering any services that would help us have a nice time. If we're ever in Estes park again, we'll definitely stay there again! My husband walked around the room, looking for anything "dirty"...he's pretty particular about motel rooms... He said the place was VERY clean!

3  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our stay at the Stonebrook Resort was a peaceful, relaxing, and adventurous get-a-way from the urban chaos we live in every day. We chose this resort because of the affordability, cook in kitchen, wilderness, and the closeness to Rocky Mountain National Park. Very clean place and safe! Mike is the owner and by far the friendliest and most kind person, which made it an even better place to stay at. He loves to educate his customers on the best places to hike and eat at. He has two dogs, Bella and Charlie who also help manage the grounds with him. They are very friendly and kind dogs. We found it nice having the option to buy local steak and Elk from Mike at a very reasonable price-- if that is not your thing he will surly give you recommendations on the best places to eat. There is a Safeway nearby in Stanley Village which we enjoyed as we like eating at home. We still ate out a little bit while we were there and loved the places we went to. NotchTop Cafe and You Need Pie! are the best. Also, we were there over the weekend so we needed a church to go to and found that Estes Park Baptist Church was near by and we received a great message and warm welcome from the locals. The best part about our stay was waking up to the sound of a streaming river and of course the adventurous hikes we went on at RMNP. The water here is delicious, never treated and pure from the mountain so drink up! No need to waste your money on water bottles!!

Good to know:
- Don't go to this resort if you are expecting WiFi this is not the place for that, but you can go into town and get internet access.. Don't know why you would as its a good time to stay unplugged.

Tips:
1. Eat a lot of food (more than you usually would) as your at an altitude of 7,450+ which your body is not used to.. Food and water will give you the stamina you need.
2. Buy ChlorOxygen which is great for high altitudes and breathing.
3. Stay for a week! We only stayed for 5 days, but a week is much better as it takes a few days to adjust and get to know the area.
4. Bring sunscreen, lotion, and chap-stick with sunscreen in it! We did not do this and our lips were bleeding by the 2nd day. It is super dry up there so make sure you prepare!

Room Tip: Loved cottage #2!!
6  Thank Jessica N
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed in cottage 2 to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. It butts right up to the river, which you can hear even when the windows are shut - so peaceful!
Mike & his dogs, Charlie & Bella, were around every day making it seem more like a little community rather than a generic hotel.
Anything you may need, this man is on it. Thanks, Mike!

Beautiful place, perfect location, close to everything :)

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Lpearish
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Rarely does a place turn out better than advertised - this did BIG TIME! The room was SPOTLESS, we actually made a game of trying to find a speck of dust anywhere - nope! Also, we had to ask, as it was so well maintained that we thought we were in a NEW cabin or something. Everything looked brand new!. What is also nice is the owner Mike and his two dogs were wonderful greeters and gave us a lot of very helpful information. We loved listening to the river, and although the cabins are close, you still get a really good sense of privacy. I wasn't sure I would come back to Estes Park again (just based on my opps for vacation travel) but next chance I get, I will try!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends