“Not your typical tourist lodging”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I stayed in one of their cabins overnight for our anniversary, and we loved it! This place has tons of character, and the older fixtures (windows, doors, many more), added a very reminiscent touch. Our cabin was very clean, and we loved the sound of the river and the horses in the evening.The staff is more accommodating than any other place we have ever visited. I really felt that they had a personal interest in making our stay as enjoyable as possible. We will be returning soon, and will be bringing the family!

Room Tip: They offer a variety of lodging. You can stay in the main lodge, or enjoy one of their cabins. Cab...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather J

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Got a groupon for a visit. The cabins and lodge look beautiful from the outside. However, once you get inside the cabins they were in need of heavy repairs. The carpet and flooring in the cabins warranted keeping your shoes on for fear of what was IN the carpet.
Young staff that didn't appear to know what they were doing. The continental breakfast was non-existant and not worth the money.
The surroundings outside were beautiful and the lodge is within walking distance to Town. They were pet friendly.
The stables and on-site animals were great for the kiddos. The horse back riding is worth going there for. Until the historical district puts more money into this Lodge - we'll only be going there for horseback riding and staying elsewhere.

1  Thank Cashman2013
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed in Mid September 2012. I am by no means picky but I was shocked by the conditions of the Elkhorn. When you pull up to the Elk Horn the first thing you notice is the out buildings with broken dirty toddlers toys laying all over, cracked windows with sheets for curtains and garbage laying about. While the lodge has great potential the management doesn't seem interested in doing anything to maximize it. The grounds and lobby were absolutely filthy! In the seating area of the lobby were some women in their pajamas and children in only diapers running around.it was 3 in the afternoon. I assumed these were guests but as it turns out these were the spouses/girlfriends of the management. There were dogs running in and out. The desk clerk was dressed in an old t-shirt and looked to be recovering from a rough night. The whole lobby had a low class commune feel. The rooms were old, which may have been fine, but old can still be clean. Our room was large with a large private porch which faced the front of the hotel. There were numerous floor to ceiling windows....with NO curtains. We asked for curtains and were told they didn't have any, but that they would try to come up with something. After about 3 hours of waiting we finally went to the front desk where we were given some old blankets to hang ourselves on the windows. It was dark and dimly lit in the room when we hung them. In the middle of the night I was woken up by an odd smell. Turns out the blankets had been peed on by the dogs running in and out of the hotel. When I told the manager about the dog pee he didn't seem particularly concerned and didn't even offer clean blankets for the windows. This hotel is a mess in every sense of the word. The staff was rude and oblivious to the fact that it was a hotel and not their own home. I can not stress enough what a dirty dirty mess this place is and what a shame because it has great potential.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Melissa A
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This place is awesome and people that don't like it need to stay in a holiday inn with a spa and room service and hint of western decor, not a historic working ranch. You don't go for the pampering, but there's a lot of reasons to go still -

We got 2 family suites and a chuckwagon diner and horseback rides on a deal site. Priced very fair. We got several generations together for the trip. The rooms were old-fashined, old wallpaper, bedding, a beautiful huge covered porch where the grandparents could sit on rockers and enjoy the mountain view, connectd by an old hall and bathroom, the bed was right by the window in the other room, you could open the window and go to sleep looking at the moon and the mountains in comfort. The hotel is old so has squeeks and cracks and all, but also old oil lamps converted to work with electric, a area to walk around and see the old treasures - 1800's dresses and early typewriters and very old letters and all kinds of animal bones. The property is only blocks from downtown Estes Park shopping and all, but right out back behind the stables are beutiful trails into the mountains. We hiked and then checked in for out horserides - it was a beautiful trail and the wrangler was great with the kids (my son turned out to need his leading him by a rope and he was very patient with him). We went for out chuckwagon dinner - brisket, chicken all kinds of country sides, cobbler for desert, leave a dollar go get you own cup of wine - cowboy singing awesome songs said he's keep going as long as wecould dance - even got grandma drinking wine and dancing and laughing. Anyways, it's not a ski resort, but if you can't have fun in this place go to h3ll or Aspen or something.

Room Tip: the family suite with balcony veranda access was awesome - the cabins looked cool to though and some...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KayCe1777
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The floor boards in the hall were very squeaky and the wi-fi was amazingly slow (other people were watching movies on their laptops so it might have been might computer). Having said that... The price was amazing, I enjoyed waking up to the soft sound of horses galloping around, I walked to main street for breakfast and coffee every morning, they let me play the piano down stairs in the early evening, and at least they had internet.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I saw a 2 night stay at the Elkhorn Lodge on Living Social & thought it was a good way to celebrate our 42nd anniversary. We were to stay Sept. 30 - Oct.1. I'm surprised I'm still married. We stayed in the lodge. They had us booked in an upstairs room. When I opened the door, the bed nearly filled the room. There was very little room to move in. After telling them that would be unacceptable, they gave us the Roosevelt Suite on the main floor for $40 extra each night. The suite had 3 rooms - very spacious. The room with the queen bed had a large outside window, an outside door with a fair sized window & no curtains therefore open for viewing by anyone walking by. The other room had twin beds with a large outside window & an outside door with a fair sized window. The window had a gauzey kind of curtain with nothing on the door window. We rigged a towel over that window. There was no heat in that suite. They brought in a small space heater that was supposed to heat those 3 rooms plus the 2 bathrooms. Good luck on being warm. There was not a table or chairs (for dining on). When I asked if they had any the guy clerking said there weren't any. Right away my wife noticed how dirty the place was including the bedding. She was so disappointed that she cried. I should have packed us up & left right then - forget the 2 night stay, but I didn't. Then we went to bed. I have never had such an uncomfortable bed in my life. After 2 hours of tossing & turning I got up & tried the sofa which really wasn't much of an improvement. I figure I got about 4 hours of sleep at the most that night. After a miserable night, I told the gal at the desk we weren't staying the night & why. She at least refunded the extra charge for the 2nd night in suite. I wouldn't advise anyone to go there - no matter what the price! We are going to Estes in early November to make up for that failed celebration & we aren't staying at the Elkhorn Lodge!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ken H
Reviewed 28 October 2012

What a blustery brisk weekend to enjoy my oldest granddaughter's 13th birthday horseback riding getaway!!! We were greeted by wonderful friendly Colorado style cowpokes and wranglers. Our ride and steak dinner was our first evening and we were delighted to ride in a blanket of fresh fallen snow. We finished up right at dusk and enjoyed a very hearty steak with all the fixings supper. Our room was fresh, clean, bright and the views outside our sunny windows were of the breath taking mountains that I am blessed to be able to visit. After a wonderful night's sleep we were treated to a full blown country style breakfast. We spent the day enjoying the menagerie of animals that reminded us more of a farm than a ranch. The evening held a chuck wagon style dinner with some live entertainment. A couple of the wranglers treated us to some good country singing and we enjoyed the hot cherry and blackberry cobbler with steaming cups of hot coffee and cocoa. The evening was topped off with a spooky hayride through the ranch and some pumpkin carvings and carmel apple making. We left the next day and as my granddaughter says "It's not fun to go back to reality Grammy"......but we will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family