“What a ride!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch
Reviewed 17 September 2013

In early September 2013 my wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in Colorado. We brought our two 30ish daughters and son-in-laws with us to help in the celebration.
On Wednesday September 4, 2013 our three couples all went on a ride at O’dells and experienced a very nice ride. Each and every person there was so polite and well mannered. The horses seemed well groomed and taken care of. Our ride lasted about one hour and was done very well, with considerable caution. However, considering some of the terrain, rocks and mud from an earlier heavy rain…it was likely the best ride I could have experienced. We had ridden with a group of about 15 mid to older persons so even if on the limited flat terrain they said to “run or go about on your own” I feel that it would have created chaos and a potentially dangerous situation.
Good horses, nice scenery and WONDERFUL (and new) staff made for a very pleasant evening!
Thank you O’dells for helping us celebrate our anniversary!
Bart & Nancy Mazzara, Cape Coral Florida.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BARTNANCY
There are newer reviews for Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I really did like this hotel. Staying in a place built in 1874 certainly has its charm, as I prefer staying in a unique establishment over your standard chain. The lobby had its charm, and so did the staircase as well as the driveway where I saw an elk feeding.

Elkhorn certainly has a lot of potential, but the owner really needs to step it up and invest in maintenance and staff. I spent two nights there. When arriving to my room, I noted that both the cold and hot water faucets in the bathroom were leaking. Leaking bad. Meaning should have been taken care of long ago. Of course, I raised that issue.

Showering was definitely not pleasant. It took 5 minutes of running the water for any hot water to show up, and my shower went from freezing cold to scalding hot several times afterwards. They definitely need to work on the hot water regulation system.

Beyond these issues, my room was not even made up when I showed up at 6pm. No new towels, bed wasn't made, etc... That is just unacceptable.

What really boggled my mind was that my room came with a coffee machine that I couldn't even use. The coffee machine had a THREE-prong plug, but the few sockets in the room were all TWO prong. Why would they invest in coffee machines that cannot even be used? Made absolutely no sense to me.

Bottom line: the owner needs to invest some money in this establishment. It has potential, but you need to spend money in order to make money. At a minimum, the rooms need to be made on a daily basis! Would I stay here again? Not unless I learned that they took care of these basic details.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mjalti
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Three of us stayed (Cabin F 3/4) on a Denver Daily Deal Sept. 6 & 7 primarily for the Long's Peak Scottish-Irish Festival. Great location at the top end of the main business district. We could easily walk to the start of the parade on Saturday. I'm glad I read the reviews because we took extra blankets (not needed) and we were not expecting the Ritz (or even a Motel 6 for that matter). I hope the new owner puts some time and effort into fixing the place up because it is truly unique with tons of potential. In the meantime a little attention to detail would go a long way: replacing lightbulbs; dusting the cobwebs off the light fixtures; rudimentary maid service like fresh towels; repairing the toilet seat so it doesn't slide off; a tv remote that works; not having to unplug the tv to plug in the one-cup coffee maker (which was fine for a morning cup of tea); moving the little fridge (nice) in order to shut the dividing door; another trash can (there was only one); replacing furniture pulls; possibly installing a hand spray in the clawfoot tub instead of a shower with curtain because getting in and out was deadly! A little disappointing not to get our ghost tour, but we were offered a restaurant coupon instead. On the plus side the receptionist was charming and helpful, the beds were comfortable and clean and the herd of elk that paid a visit Saturday into Sunday was a real treat. I would stay again but maybe check out the rooms in the lodge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here for one night and that was plenty! While it was nice to have 3 bedrooms to share with family, the rooms were dirty and overall felt like it was simply not kept up. Some historic resorts are old but charming. This one was old and absolutely not charming! The floors needed to be vacuumed, the shower curtain was torn, the beds were uncomfortable, the doors didn't close properly, window screens had holes in them, I could go on and on. They appear to put absolutely no effort into maintaining this property but with some effort on the part of the owner, this property could be easily transformed into a place to be proud of. As it is today, it is not.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2013

First, the property is very pretty. Was not exactly sure what to expect, and on several levels was surprised. First surprise was a single cup coffee maker in the cabin, second was a tv (no remote, but a tv). I think I am a "frills", as opposed to "no frills" person and a cabin with no heat and the occasional spider was not a fun filled weekend away.

On the plus side, the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. I left a sweatshirt and upon emailing them, they found it and mailed it back to me! Honestly, that is going above and beyond for most. As I read on a review prior to going, it is 139 years old, but I hear the new owner is planning on making lots of improvements and one won't recognize it in the next two years.

The restaurant owner on the property is also very friendly and informative. If you go, enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We won two nights here at a benefit silent auction, so we weren't sure what to expect. Suffice to say after night night in this hellhole, we went and paid for another night elsewhere. Where to begin - the 'carpet' was the dirtiest, most stained I've ever seen. The bedspread was so old and threadbare I would be embarrassed to sell it at a garage sale. There was one outlet in the entire unit, so they ran a loose extension cord right in front of the front door to reach the television. I don't even think that's legal! The bathroom was disgusting; no way would I even think of taking a shower in there.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a 139 year old Historic property and it shows. It was perfect for my needs. I found myself with a rare weekend alone and wanted to go hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. I used a Denver Daily Deal to get a cabin for two nights for $62 (see photos). It was barebones but had a good bed, decent shower and great location. A real downside was no heat. The temperature dropped into the 40's the first night and I didn't have enough blankets, it was COLD! The next day they gave me a couple of more blankets and everything was fine. The cabin was across the street from a multi use path that followed the Fall River to downtown Estes Park about 1/2 mile away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo