Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch
Discovery Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$165
Quality Inn Estes Park(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$190
QualityInn
The Historic Crags Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$270
Murphy's Resort at Estes Park(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$171
Murphy's River Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$165
Alpine Trail Ridge Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$177
Hotel Estes(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$164
Appenzell Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$152
Orbitz.com
Nicky's Resort(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$166
Hotels.com
Stanley Hotel(Estes Park)
US$341
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We purchased a Daily Deal, and thought it would be fun. It has great possibilities, but nothing has been done with it. We had the worst double bed I've ever slept in. I don't think my husband and I slept a wink all night. The wall paper was peeled off in the bathroom, and the carpet torn up with tacks sticking out of the floor. We were lucky to stay warm with the tiny room heater. I would only recommend it to my worst enemy. If you bought a Daily Deal, see if you can get a credit or just suck it up and call it a loss. If there was a possibility to not even give it one star, I would do it. We left after one night even though the deal was for two nights.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deb R
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I purchased one of the many deals this place is offering to get people to come here.
We arrived early in the day to be greeted by kids playing in the lobby. They told me nobody was at the desk, but I could go look for her. Another offered to take me to my cabin, but I told him I needed a key and to check in...he said "oh yeah, right". I waited about 5 minutes until someone arrived. She introduced herself as the GM of the place. Not overly friendly. I told her our main interest in purchasing the deal was to go on the ghost tour. She informed me that it had been cancelled due to the person leading it was stranded due to the recent floods and that I could get a $4 refund per person....BUT that if I wanted to talk to some of the employees they may be able to tell me stories... BUT, they were busy so don't tie them up too long with questions. I never did see anyone else working here.

I was told to drip the water all night because of the frigid weather. I was told not to plug in another space heater.

We went up to the cabin, which was cute outside. with exception of duct tape on the screen door. Inside, was FRIGID cold. We had difficulty figuring out the old and small space heater... ONLY ONE for a two bedroom cabin. We were out of toilet paper, which I had to go to office to report. They sent a young boy under 10 to deliver some.

The website we checked showed we were suppose to have a microwave, but didn't. The bedspreads were gross looking...threadbare and torn. Mice droppings in the drawers of a dresser. A bug in the bathtub. Just a plain ratty old place. The inside does not match the historical aspect of an 1800's era. Looks like a rundown depression era place inside our cabin. One small heater that never got too hot in a two bedroom cabin was a JOKE!!

We noticed multiple cracked windows and two broken out windows, one in each room. Both the broken windows were letting in cold air. We figured we were going into town, we'd just get some clear tape and tape them like the other broken windows had been.

We sat for awhile in the cabin, fully dressed, coats and all and watched tv and to see how quickly the heater would heat up one room, before we moved it to heat the other room.

After running into town, for some tape and some goodies, we decided it was still too cold in the cabin and decided to eat at the Cheesy Lee Pizza inside the main lodge. What a treasure this place is. Very friendly employees/owner!! Big place, so not real intimate, cozy or homey, but the food and cleanliness of the place was great. I love all the wood and furnishings. Our pizza was delicious and the garlic sticks were out of this world!!!

When we got back to the cabin, it was still FRIGID cold in there. We debated what to do, because the situation was just plain ridiculous. After discussion, we decided that I would go to the main lodge to see if they had anything in there that we could have instead....something with some heat. When I got to the front desk, there was a big sign that stated Closed, with a basket of keys and envelopes for late arrivers.

I went back to cabin to report that we'd be stuck in our cabin. My sister and her hubby informed me that, while I was gone, they received a call from home that their dog was real sick and they wanted to leave to go check on him. I ended up leaving my keys with message at the empty front desk at 9:00pm.

I would never in a million years recommend this Lodge and Cabins. I would highly recommend the Cheesy Lee's Pizza though. I am so thoroughly disgusted and pissed that I spent money on this place...plus a two hour drive to get here. If the other cabins were as bad as ours, then this place needs a major over-hauling. All I can add is that there must not be much business here because of all the deals out on this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alicia J
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We spent last weekend in Cabin H at the the Historic Elkhorn Lodge. We purchased a Denver Post Daily Deal (which won't happen again) for two nights in one of the cabins or lodge room with a ghost tour for four. I made reservations for October 11-13 about six weeks ahead for the Alpine 2 cabin. There were two queen-size beds in two rooms with one bathroom and a full kitchen which the website made look very charming. Then the floods hit in the middle of September and I checked the website and it stated that the lodge was open but the O'Dell stables had been closed indefinitely. At that point I was very glad that I had not purchased the the Denver Post Daily Deal for the horse rides.

So I decided to confirm our reservations on the preceding Monday prior to our arrival. Well we were not in Alpine 2 any longer because that cabin had been rented on a long-term basis to a displaced flood victim but they would reserve the Schoolhouse cabin which was bigger with 3 bedrooms so I said that would be fine. Then Wednesday I received an email saying they could offer us two lodge rooms or Cabin H which had two bedrooms-one with a queen bed and the other with two twin beds. They also stated that if our friends wanted to stay in Cabin E which had a queen-size bed and twin bed in one room with no kitchen they could for an additional $40.00 cleaning fee. We all decided on Cabin H, The ghost tour had not been held for awhile because the lady who conducted it lived in Longmont and was not able to get to the Lodge due to the flooding of the roadways but we could go on a ghost "hunt" for $30 per person. Are you kidding me? At this point I was starting to get a little nervous about what we had gotten ourselves into but tried to reason the area had been through a lot with the flood.

Then we arrived late Friday afternoon and were given a $3.00 coupon for cheesy bread sticks at Cheesy Lee's Pizza Restaurant to compensate for the cancelled ghost tour. We were all hungry and decided to eat dinner which I must say was very good and reasonably priced. Then we proceeded to Cabin H which was frigid. There was an electric floor heater which never put out much heat. So after my husband went back to the lodge they stated that they it as common that if two electric heaters were running it blew a fuse but we could move to the lodge. Since we had food with us we decided to stay. We went to town to warm up and returned to the lodge for a frigid nights sleep. In the morning my husband turned on the four stove burners and oven to warm up the cabin and it did the trick. We left to go to the Sidewalk Sale and ate lunch. After a stop at the cabin we went and spent the afternoon in Rocky Mountain National Park which had been reopened since the government shutdown. We returned to the cabin after dinner and turned on the stove again and spent a toasty night in the kitchen and finally went to sleep in much warmer beds. We left Sunday morning to return to the world of central heating.

The last time we traveled to Estes Park we stayed at the Stanley Hotel because we enjoy visiting the historic properties of Colorado. But compared to the Stanley, The Historic Elkhorn Lodge is the poor stepchild. It is the first hotel built in Estes Park in 1874. Although we tried to appreciate that fact, the condition that the lodge was in was from pure neglect not from the flood which had affected the property the month before. A little TLC would go a long way. The pictures do it much more justice than reality does. It might appeal to some who wants to "live" history i.e. before central heating. I noticed that the thermostat in the lodge showed 74 degrees which I found very interesting. The dining room where Cheesy Lee's is is very charming with beautiful wood and built-ins that appeared to be preserved very well. The cabins have a mish-mash of furniture which looks all second hand. It does appear that cleaning was not a top priority either. In our coffee maker I found old moldy coffee grounds. We decided to use the one serving coffee maker. In the bathroom we did not have light even after replacing the bulb with a working one from the front porch because the fixture was not even attached to the ceiling. The bathroom offered very little privacy because the doors have been painted so many times and they did not shut for any privacy. None of us were brave enough to take a shower. The beds were fairly comfortable although the bedding was inadequate. OK, enough.

To any who still want to consider staying at the Historic Elkhorn Lodge because maybe you still need to use your Denver Post Daily deal before its expiration just be prepared. You might want to bring an electric space heater that works, some extra bedding, warm clothes, paper plates and eating utensils that were scarce. Finally, we might return to Cheesy Lee's Pizza but we never will stay at the Historic Elkhorn Lodge again. Next time I will make sure to read the Trip Advisor(the Historic Elkhorn Lodge displays a decal on the front door) review because it certainly would have saved us some grief.

Room Tip: Ask how the unit you want to stay in is heated. You might want to do visual inspection of the unit before you stay in it, also.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 2,915
Reviewed 21 September 2013

A Denver Daily Deal brought us to Elkhorn lodge, and we got just what we paid for. Bed was comfy and clean, everything else old and worn. About what you would expect for a 140 year old mini-cabin. EXTREMELY quiet! No heat, but the weather wasn't bad yet. I slept very well, amazingly.

We moved elsewhere the second night; our visit was during the massive flooding, and Elkhorn Avenue was closed the day we left for drier environs. Got out in time, stayed a few more days just because of the weather and mess from the flooding. When we left Saturday the traffic was light, and the sun was out.

Elkhorn Lodge is rustic, almost primitive. The folks running it are doing the job, but it still needs lots of work. More like camping, at least in the mini-cabin. Not sure if we would stay here again, but the experience was worth the price!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Well this place could be so good, we were driving thru Estes on the way to Rocky Mountain National Park and were looking for somewhere to stay, this place looked like the last place in town before the town finished and the countryside started, turns out we were wrong if you go past this place towards the park there are at least a dozen more motels and places to stay.
We should have started to worry when told the price was $89 for an entire wooden cabin for the night.
The first cabin had no hot water, then the boiler sprung a leak when the guy was trying to fix it so we were moved to a new cabin next door.
I worry about hygiene with this place, whilst not visibly dirty, the rooms do not feel clean at all, all the furniture and beds are very old.
The bathroom was very old and the shower barely worked.
There were no curtains as apparently they keep getting stolen we were told ! So reception gave us net curtains to hang ourselves, this still didn't really provide for any privacy so we had to hand bedsheets over the windows when dark.
We were not confident the door lock worked properly so we barricaded ourselves in by moving a wardrobe in front of the door just in case !!
This place could be so good if they spent a chunk of money on upgrading the cabins to something later than the 1950s/1960s they are still in.
But its cheap !