“Our hellish experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch
Memphis, Tennessee
“Our hellish experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We booked a room here two weeks prior to our visit to Estes Park, drove 5.5 hours from Alamosa to meet family, only to discover that our reservation would not be honored, since the hotel does not "do Expedia." Cindy, the desk manager, said that prior management, had used Expedia, but current management had been trying to get off the site. Although she said this was happening daily, she could offer no help in locating other accommodations (on a weekend, during a festival). She said we should just go down the road and look for vacancies. We called at least a dozen hotels and finally located a ratty room for more money. If you book here, do so directly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ElkhornLodge, Manager at Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
We are sorry about your experience booking through a vendor for your stay at Elkhorn Lodge. The vendor was notified 15 days prior to your arrival about over booking. We want to invite you to stay with us again in the future. Please call direct for a reduced rate and we will be happy to welcome you back to our historic lodge and guest ranch.

Elkhorn Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Osawatomie, Kansas
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I love this place! The history, the charm, the character, the staff, the horses, all of it! And I know there's alot of bad reviews because it's not up to"modern" standards, but come on people, it's 140 years old! If you don't like history and don't know old structures, then you probably won't get the enjoyment we did staying here. This is where Estes started! The Stanley gets all the hype, but the whole reason the Stanley is even here is because Mr.Stanley stayed at the Elkhorn and fell in love with the area. Also Teddy Roosevelt loved staying here, you can stay in the room that he stayed in. It's beautiful! And Roosevelt is who initiated the Rocky Mountain National Park. Sorry rant a little, but it's heart breaking to see all these horrible reviews on such an amazing place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank CowgirlNurse
ElkhornLodge, Front Office Manager at Elkhorn Lodge and Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to share our passion and hard work to maintain the old rustic charm of The Elkhorn. We look forward to your return visit with us.

Elkhorn lodge Staff
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the lodge this past holiday weekend & loved it! The staff is laid back & super friendly. They even brought a mini-fridge in our room for our hiking snacks! It's not a 5 star hotel, but it's clean, a great location at the end of the downtown strip, has lots of charm, and the horses + scenery are amazing! The elk are everywhere! Every afternoon before dinner, they are laying in the yard :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Danielle H
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My daughter, grandson and I stayed here last fall after the devastating flood. The staff was amazing! We also brought our Irish Setter and Caviler Spaniel with us and we were welcomed with open arms and left with a determination to come back. This is a historic property that is a work in progress with so much more to come in the future. The rooms are kid and pet friendly as are all of the staff. If we needed something they were very willing to help us find it. We were even lucky enough to stay an extra day due to the weather. There is plenty of room for the kids to roam and for walking even a large dog. The beautiful historic lodge entrance and stairway are very welcoming. The restaurant located in the building has an awesome salad bar and serves the best pizza in town. Other amenities are in easy walking distance from the lodge.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Teresa L
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Elkhorn Lodge during our honeymoon, and we fell in love with the place! It is an absolutely gorgeous place to stay with a lot of character and very friendly staff. The staff was always friendly and happy to recommend nice restaurants and advice us on nice Rocky Mountain routes.

Looking through the reviews, I realize that the Elkhorn Lodge is not a place everybody would enjoy. If you care for a super luxurious place, the Elkhorn Lodge would probably not be your choice. But if you enjoy a historic, quiet, friendly space with a lot of character, this is your place. If you find yourself in Estes Park, just visit it and see for yourself. We can't wait to get back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kris D
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We purchased a Daily Deal, and thought it would be fun. It has great possibilities, but nothing has been done with it. We had the worst double bed I've ever slept in. I don't think my husband and I slept a wink all night. The wall paper was peeled off in the bathroom, and the carpet torn up with tacks sticking out of the floor. We were lucky to stay warm with the tiny room heater. I would only recommend it to my worst enemy. If you bought a Daily Deal, see if you can get a credit or just suck it up and call it a loss. If there was a possibility to not even give it one star, I would do it. We left after one night even though the deal was for two nights.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deb R

Travellers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I purchased one of the many deals this place is offering to get people to come here.
We arrived early in the day to be greeted by kids playing in the lobby. They told me nobody was at the desk, but I could go look for her. Another offered to take me to my cabin, but I told him I needed a key and to check in...he said "oh yeah, right". I waited about 5 minutes until someone arrived. She introduced herself as the GM of the place. Not overly friendly. I told her our main interest in purchasing the deal was to go on the ghost tour. She informed me that it had been cancelled due to the person leading it was stranded due to the recent floods and that I could get a $4 refund per person....BUT that if I wanted to talk to some of the employees they may be able to tell me stories... BUT, they were busy so don't tie them up too long with questions. I never did see anyone else working here.

I was told to drip the water all night because of the frigid weather. I was told not to plug in another space heater.

We went up to the cabin, which was cute outside. with exception of duct tape on the screen door. Inside, was FRIGID cold. We had difficulty figuring out the old and small space heater... ONLY ONE for a two bedroom cabin. We were out of toilet paper, which I had to go to office to report. They sent a young boy under 10 to deliver some.

The website we checked showed we were suppose to have a microwave, but didn't. The bedspreads were gross looking...threadbare and torn. Mice droppings in the drawers of a dresser. A bug in the bathtub. Just a plain ratty old place. The inside does not match the historical aspect of an 1800's era. Looks like a rundown depression era place inside our cabin. One small heater that never got too hot in a two bedroom cabin was a JOKE!!

We noticed multiple cracked windows and two broken out windows, one in each room. Both the broken windows were letting in cold air. We figured we were going into town, we'd just get some clear tape and tape them like the other broken windows had been.

We sat for awhile in the cabin, fully dressed, coats and all and watched tv and to see how quickly the heater would heat up one room, before we moved it to heat the other room.

After running into town, for some tape and some goodies, we decided it was still too cold in the cabin and decided to eat at the Cheesy Lee Pizza inside the main lodge. What a treasure this place is. Very friendly employees/owner!! Big place, so not real intimate, cozy or homey, but the food and cleanliness of the place was great. I love all the wood and furnishings. Our pizza was delicious and the garlic sticks were out of this world!!!

When we got back to the cabin, it was still FRIGID cold in there. We debated what to do, because the situation was just plain ridiculous. After discussion, we decided that I would go to the main lodge to see if they had anything in there that we could have instead....something with some heat. When I got to the front desk, there was a big sign that stated Closed, with a basket of keys and envelopes for late arrivers.

I went back to cabin to report that we'd be stuck in our cabin. My sister and her hubby informed me that, while I was gone, they received a call from home that their dog was real sick and they wanted to leave to go check on him. I ended up leaving my keys with message at the empty front desk at 9:00pm.

I would never in a million years recommend this Lodge and Cabins. I would highly recommend the Cheesy Lee's Pizza though. I am so thoroughly disgusted and pissed that I spent money on this place...plus a two hour drive to get here. If the other cabins were as bad as ours, then this place needs a major over-hauling. All I can add is that there must not be much business here because of all the deals out on this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family