“Depends what you are looking for”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mary's Lake Campground
Reviewed 15 July 2013

If you are just needing a place to sleep since you are out and about. It works. We had a motorhome and were very close to our neighbors. Luckily we had wonderful neighbors so very little issues. NO shade at all. Three night we had very strong winds that rocked our motorhome. Little unnerving! I was disappointed to pay this much for campsite and I had to pay for showers. Maybe I missed this information on the website, but I didn't know it until I got there. I feel that if I am spending $40 per night, I shouldn't be paying for showers, especially with very little amenities. I went to do laundry one evening and the laundry room was closed by6pm. It is not something I will do during the day since we were out and about all the time. So we went into town to do laundry. This worked for our family but needs improvement!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We are new to the camping world and last year when we stayed at Estes Park - East Portal we loved it. We had an awesome campsite nestled in a adequate size spot surrounded by some trees. The bathrooms, although old were clean and showers were included in the price of the spot.

This year we rented a bit larger camper so there wasn't a spot available in the East Portal location so I decided to try Mary's Lake Campground. We were very disappointed. First of all it is more like a parking lot. We were lucky in the fact that we got there on a Monday and the camp wasn't full so we didn't have neighbors right next to us at that time. By the weekend though, there were so many big rigs stacked one on top of the other that when you looked out the window you could see into your neighbor's camper.

The showers and bathrooms were kept clean however with the amount of people that are nestled in this location it became impossible to keep them clean. There are only four stalls in the woman's bathrooms and many times when I went in there I had to wait for a stall. The showers were horrible AND I had to pay for them. For $2.00 a six minute shower, I had no consistently warm comfortable water and no idea how much time I had left before it turned off. It was horrible because it kept going cold and then warm.

One positive thing I must say is that the Larimer County staff who runs the facilities is very nice and helpful. Charlene was the camp greeter and she was a wonderful lady who was also very helpful and nice. My husband also commented on the friendliness of the staff. Larimer County has hired some very nice people in this campground.

I wouldn't stay at this campsite again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue D
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

First off, let me say I booked this campground for 7 days so I had a pretty good experience of what daily camping here is like. Here are the reasons why this campground wasn't right for me:

Problem 1 - This is more of an RV parking lot than campground. A majority of the people staying here are RVs crammed next to each other with a spattering of actual tent camping locations. Since all the RVs are crammed together the people in them tend to disperse to get away from the crowding. The result? I often had kids running through my camp site, shining flashlights into my tent and actually walking by and smacking my tent while I was in it! There was also the nightly fights between all the crowded dogs the people in the RVs brought with them.

Problem 2 - This campground is essentially an open field with little tree cover. While other people mentioned the shade issue, the real problem I had with this was wind! Due to the limited tree cover the wind at the camp site was outrageous and most nights I felt like I was going to get blown away at any moment.

Problem 3 - Campground rules are not enforced. I've been at other campgrounds where quiet hour was a state of mind. Soon as the specified time was reached, all loud music and activities stopped. This wasn't the case here, if the weather was good then people were often being drunk and loud late into the night. For someone like me who was looking to turn in early each night so I could get down to RMNP early, it was nearly impossible to get to
sleep at a decent time.

Problem 4 - I don't mind pay showers, but when I spend 3 of my 6 minutes waiting for the water to get warm I start to have a problem. Also, the water pressure on these showers are really low. You're probably going to have to put in $3-4 just to get a quick shower in.

All in all, for me I'd have rather have been at a campground with less facilities and more "peaceful" surroundings. Being located so close to the entrance to the park was nice, but that convenience didn't equate to problems I mentioned above.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Jason C
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We camped at Mary's Lake Campground in June. As noted in other reviews, the sites are small, dirt and rock, no shade. The campground has amenities such as swimming pool, small store, etc., but compared to other similarly priced campgrounds we stayed in during our 10 day tour of the Southwest, the amenities were exceptionally basic in comparison. One item that surprised us is showers cost $2 for 3 minutes. While this didn't break our budget, it was surprising, as we did not experience this at any other similarly priced campground we stayed in.

On a positive note, the campground is very centrally located making access everything in Estes Park very easy!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is a nice place especially for car camping and families. Bathrooms and showers were clean and new. Don't expect too much as this place is designed as a sleep and go. Yes, you can hang out here but there you are in Estes Park next door to Rocky Mountain NP and lots of lots of trails, you are not coming to this campground to hangout. It's also not a green lush escape. It's a bit dry (in the summer) but like I said, if you are looking for anything but a place to sleep, have a camp fire, etc then don't stay here. Oh, and paying $2.00 for a 6 minute shower is fine by me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Zach-Abby G
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was our first camping trip to Estes Park, so we had no idea what to expect for the long weekend. My wife reserved a spot for us and another next to it for my parents and nephews.

The first thing I noticed about the campground was that the trees were a little sparse towards the front part of the campground (where the water/ electric sites were located). The spacing was also a little tight on the west side of the lower loop, but our sites was actually very spacious.

The second thing I discovered was that the campground was full of nice and considerate campers. I felt pretty safe letting the kids run around, down to the playground and climbing on the nearby rocks. If you don't have/ don't like kids... this campground is probably not the best choice for you. By the end of the weekend the kids had made friends with plenty of others, and they all migrated from campsite to campsite munching on smore's and playing tag.

The bathrooms were clean and well taken care of. The showers seemed to be spacious, but I never took the opportunity to use them (note- they do cost $2.00 for six minutes, with a change machine outside).

The tent only sites on the north side seemed to be much more spread out. That's the trade off I guess, if you want to sleep in a camper with A/C and a bathroom you are going to wind up pretty close to someone else. If you want to rough it, you can find some good spots a bit further out.

Great place, lots of fun for the kids and some great people turned our three day trip into a four day trip.

Room Tip: During the week you could save yourself the registration fee by showing up without reserving a spot...