“Exposure to mountain climbing WOW”

Colorado Mountain School
Ranked #42 of 74 things to do in Estes Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Colorado Mountain School (CMS) offers courses and privately guided group and individual outings in rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing, snowshoeing, ski mountaineering, avalanche training and ice climbing throughout Colorado. CMS is the exclusive climbing concessionaire for Rocky Mountain National Park and based locally in Boulder and Estes Park. CMS is the largest guide service in Colorado and has more American Mountain Guides Association certified Guides than any other guide service in the state. Our lodge located in Estes Park, Colorado, is for CMS clients only.
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Colorado Mountain School is a great place to get a feel for what mountain climbers experience. On a recent visit to Estes Park I booked a half day climb with CMS and had the pleasure to have Kip Davis as our guide. I am 70 and wanted my grand kids to get on a mountain and be safe at the same time. The boys range in age for 14 to 20 and are very athletic so they were keen to try out their new found skills. Kip is very safety conscious, knowledgeable and fun to be with. If you have half a day and want to get the feel for climbing you could not have found a better spot.

2  Thank rollinsthomas
in 9 reviews
"descents"
"intro"

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I recently visited Estes Park for the first time and rock climbing was at the top of our list to do. Neither of us had any outdoor climbing experience and had only been to the local indoor gym a handful of times, so we were definitely beginners. This place is awesome - we had an amazing guide, Eric, who was very patient and knowledgeable. We learned a lot and had a blast - totally addicted now! Would definitely love to climb with him again or any of their guides! I even had to miss the second half day we booked because I became ill - I was really bummed about missing out and being out the cash. Boy was I pleasantly surprised when they credited us the difference back to my credit card that day! Great experience, and will do again!

3  Thank Stephne801
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This review is long overdue. I have been using Colorado Mountain School (CMS) since 2009 for avalanche, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing, and alpine climbing instruction and guiding. The entire process is flawless. Working with office staff to book trips, staying at the Hostel, taking courses, and trips is effortless. The instruction is clear, concise, and based on current AMGA standards. The guides are friendly, encouraging, and strong. Based on CMS' instruction, I have progressed to climb Mt McKinley (Denali) and to become a strong lead climber on sport, trad, ice, and alpine. Thanks to all of my instructors including Bob Chase, Andrew Councell, and Russell Hunter. Your focus on safety in integral to my climbing life!

I recently had a great time with Bob Chase on Kieners Route (East Face of Longs Peak).

2  Thank BigHornBret
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My friend and I hired a private guide to take us out rock climbing. We ended up with Joe T. He did a GREAT job. He matched our skill level perfectly with the climb that he had chosen. He also did a great job teaching us some new schools and encouraging us to take risks. All the while, safety was concern #1. We booked a half-day with him and it was the perfect amount of time.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband & I chose CMS due to their reputation. We got more than just a guided hike... We had an excellent guide - Russell. Coming from sea level Georgia, Longs peak via North Face was surely a test of our abilities. Russell set a comfortable pace for us and kept encouraging us from start to finish. His being an accomplished mountaineer, made for a very interesting journey. We got to hear great stories and learn more about mountaineering. We got to see phenomenal views as we hiked. Russell made sure we didn't miss anything and we got to soak it all. We got to see elk, a black bear as we set off, a curious pika and spectacular views (have to mention that again!). All in all, we received great value. Thanks Jane for being prompt with responses & for organizing a great trip! Thanks Russell for being a great lead and we wish you all the best at upcoming ascents.

1  Thank Sona S