“Best motel in Estes Park”
Review of The Haber Motel

The Haber Motel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
San Antonio, Texas
“Best motel in Estes Park”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I had prior knowledge of this property based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was all that I expected! Both my wife, and I, were in the hotel business for many years and I have seen hundreds of hotel/motel rooms. The folks that own this property have really done an outstanding job.
Yes, it is in a parking lot behind several restaurants but, there was never a problem parking and the general location was so good that it made our stay even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: I'd go with the 2nd floor because of the jacuzzi tubs!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UNCLEDICK69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Haber Motel is very small (Only 6 rooms if I'm correct) and is located on the east end of the main street in Estes Park; which is very convenient since almost all of the shops and restaurants are within walking distance. To be sure, I did not expect much as the outside of the building is neat but nothing special. All of the luxury, as it turned out, was inside the room; which was on the first floor and consisted of two queen beds, a fireplace, a jacuzzi (some reviewers were apparently disappointed by it, but I was happy!), two sinks, a microwave, a fridge, a coffee pot, a full-length mirror, a nice T.V., and lots of space and comfort! As a last-minute decision, and a lucky run-in with the manager (he is not readily available on-site), the night at the Haber Motel turned out to be a great one.W
As a side-note, I had originally thought the downside was that the view (it is behind two restaurants) was not something to be admired and was desperately lacking considering it is in the scenic town of Estes Park. That all changed when a little after midnight, my husband and I discovered a very large black bear strolling through the parking lot not twenty feet from our door! We kept opening and closing the door for a bit to make sure it really was in fact not a figment of our imaginations and wanted to make sure it did not damage anything (or anyone!); in hindsight, we probably annoyed our neighbors to no end by the ruckus we might have made in our excitement and trepidation. The bear, however, was not the least bit annoyed or frightened; he (or she) seemed rather curious instead at our antics, but eventually went on its merry way. What an unforgettable experience! Maybe next time, however, we probably should make less noise and keep the door firmly closed as it probably wasn't the wisest decision to ogle a huge bear while he ogles us!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Pitman, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I liked what I saw of this motel on this site and also on its website. I certainly was not disappointed with our experience.

I reserved the room back in late January, and when I called, I didn't realize the owner was not there all of the time. When I didn't get an answer, I booked via the website. It was very easy, and I had no problem securing a AAA discount. Much to my surprise, the owner returned my call, as apparently he must have caller ID, as I didn't leave a message. I was impressed he took the time to return my call. He obviously wanted our business. He confirmed my on-line reservation and sent an email confirmation.

The motel has a no check in before 3 p.m. policy. People can check in earlier, but they must pay a fee. This was not an issue for us, as we were coming in from South Dakota. We did arrive a little before 3 p.m., but we went to Safeway next door to pick up supplies. We arrived right a 3:00, and the owner was cleaning one of the rooms. He came down promptly to check us in. It was nice not needing a key, as we just had a combination to unlock our door. Once we checked in, he told us that we could check out any time before 11 and that we did not need to see him before we left. When you check out, you simply pack up your car and head out. We were given a receipt at check in. He doesn't arrive on the property until 3 p.m. for check ins. That was a little different, but it was certainly no issue. The motel was quiet and in outstanding order.

Some comment on the dumpster that gets emptied in the morning. We didn't find this an issue, as it didn't seem to occur every morning. We were there 3 nights.

I would recommend that a 6th parking spot be secured for the motel, as there are 5 spots for 6 rooms. There is a 6th handicapped spot, but I always feel funny parking in one if I don't need to, plus I don't know if fines would be imposed. There are other spots there, but they are allocated for the Egg and I and the Mexican place nearby.

There is no continental breakfast at the motel, but this is not an issue, as you can buy things at Safeway and store them in the room. There's a fridge and microwave in every room.

As for the room itself, we could not have been more pleased. We had room 1 with 2 queen beds, fireplace, flat screen tv, and ample storage. There was an extra counter outside the bathroom which allowed another person to apply make up while someone else used the bathroom. The beds were the some of the best I have encountered at a motel. The sheets and towels were also some of the finest quality I have seen. I can understand why there are warnings about not using the towels for make up removal or car cleaning, They are simply too nice for that. I had read one person was put off by the warnings, but I appreciate the owner's efforts in providing such fine linens to his guests and wanting to keep them nice. Finally, the room was absolutely immaculate!

It was also desirable to be in walking distance to many shops and restaurants in Estes Park. The town is quite busy, so being able to walk is quite convenient.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to others coming to the Estes Park area.

1 Thank slrtravelplanner
Watkinsville, Georgia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Haber Motel is on the eastern end of the main street through Estes Park. You can walk to several restaurants and easily catch the free shuttles to the National Park. Check out the free concerts in the park. You might think that the Haber would be noisy when you see the daytime traffic, but things get quiet as soon as the sun goes down.

1 Thank robdesso
San Benito, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My family and I stayed at the Haber Motel and we were pleased to have a very spacious room and the fireplace added a special touch. It was so close to everything! ... the shops and Safeway and not to mention, the Egg and I. I loved that we did not require a key; everything was done online and by phone. We saw the owner once as he greeted us in the parking lot and that added a really personal 'homey' feel to the whole experience. I highly recommend this Motel to anyone. It was Perfect for a family of four. I loved how quaint it was and that there were only 6 rooms.

1 Thank Lou L
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Room 5 was large and comfortable, clean and well decorated. There is a vanity top and basin in the bathroom, and another in the wardrobe area, so plenty of room for us to perform our ablutions! There was a nice fireplace, a great feature for a winter stay. We had the two best night’s sleep of our entire trip, the bed was good, the room quiet. It seems wildlife sometimes roams the area near the motel, and we were rewarded with a beautiful deer just feet away one morning. Walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants.
The only minor blips were the failure to replace the shower gell used on day one, and the failure to clean up the coffee making machine and tray.
Apart from that, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Offthetouristtrack
Joplin, MO
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This motel was a very pleasant surprise. I made a reservation based on recommendations on Tripadvisor, and I was totally happy with our accommodations. The room and bathroom were large and well-appointed. The exterior is nothing to brag about, but the inside is nicely finished and decorated. Linens were above average in quality. There is a small coffee maker in the room and a small refrigerator. I chose the "deluxe" room which had the fireplace and jaccuzzi.

Having said that, I want to reinforce some comments others have made about the location. On the one hand, the location is great because it is downtown and makes walking convenient to all the shops and restaurants. On the other hand, it is behind a restaurant, so be aware that the view is essentially of the back of the building, including the dumpster for the building. I knew that going in (from reviews on here) and decided that I wanted to be downtown this time since we would be staying somewhere with a great view the rest of our trip. Our room was on the upper level, and if I were the owner, I would have installed some of the type of shades that pull down from the top in which case the back of the restaurant would not be visible and the top of the mountains would be when sitting inside at least on the upper level. There is, by the way, essentially no deck, although some people were sitting out on the walkway.

Overall, I was very happy with what I got for the price.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the upper level.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple