“Struggling with how many circles to rate this one; lazy housekeeping”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Overlook at the Stanley Historic District
St. Louis
“Struggling with how many circles to rate this one; lazy housekeeping”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My family of four (myself, my husband and my 10 and 8 yo) stayed in a one-bedroom unit for a week in late June 2014. Overall, we enjoyed the unit very much (as well as our stay in Estes Park). Our unit was in the first row of units, on Overlook Drive, directly facing the Stanley; I think the number ended in 17.

The unit was attractively furnished, and the cabinetry/tile/fixtures in the kitchenette and bathroom were relatively new. There was a hot tub which, although perhaps somewhat awkwardly placed right on the front porch I suppose you could call it, right in view of the parking lot, came in very handy and was enjoyed almost every day. We did see a maintenance man check the water once during our stay.

We think this development deserves a nice rating because it was indeed new, well-kept, easy to book (done through the Stanley) and cancel if needed, and overall our stay was pleasant.

However, I will add that upon our arrival, the unit was not as neat as we expected. Clearly housekeeping forgot to vacuum, as there were still crumbs left on the carpet from the previous occupants. We just vacuumed it ourselves, but on two separat occasions called the Stanley to ask housekeeping to pay a little more attention when cleaning. Well, we STILL had to vacuum our unit ourselves. Plus, housekeeping did a pretty poor job of clening the rest of the place. Finally on the third request, we did notice an improvement. Overall we found it easier to just do it ourselves than to deal with the unresponsive front desk.

We did have to interact with the front desk for other things as well, such asking about how to get to the Wild Basin trailhead. The cranky lady in a bob and glasses didn't know, as she wasn't from here, and annoyingly threw us a map. Um, ok. Also to ask about the nearby tram. That ultra-friendly girl (I think she was an owner) didnt know much, much heard good feedback. Basically the "concierge" advice was subpar.

The Stanley Hotel itself is sprawling and was evidently once a gorgeous property and is in the midst of being redone. However, when strolling the grounds, we noticed peeling paint everywhere, weeds, dirty furniture on the patio with wine glasses just sitting there, and, AGAIN, really dirty carpets. (Someone here has something against vacuums.)

We ate on the patio once and it was just OK (and kind of expensive considering the quality of the meal). The Starbucks and ice cream in the cellar cafe did turn out handy, especially since our unit just faced the Stanley.

We did not do the hotel tour (I honestly think the hotel tours are the most efficiently-run aspect of this hotel; maybe they make the most money off of this) although many other seemed to.

If we ever visit Estes Park again, we would stay at the Overlook again because the units are certainly nice, updated and convenient, and I believe among the best in Estes based on my internet search; hence the high rating.

However, I would caution against expecting any sort of four-star service from the adjacent Stanley, or decent housekeeping. Normally I would subtract a circle for such issues as this, but given that Estes is a low-key town which is based on their locale right next to RMNP and I am not sure that there are that many units in town (if any) better than the Overlook, the rating remains.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank satellite1

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
colorado
Reviewed 17 March 2014

To clarify, this review is for the Overlook Condominiums, part of the Stanley Hotel. There are separate reviews for the Stanley Hotel.

These are gorgeous, updated condos with granite kitchens, modern baths and beautiful bedding and linens--seemingly a no-brainer five star review, BUT...

We arrived (in October 2013) and were assigned a beautiful 2 bedroom unit. When we first walked in, it was clear there were some housekeeping and maintenance issues. The carpet looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time (several stains) and it had not been well-vacuumed (threads and such on the carpet). The walls were also banged up a bit. I think this was so obvious because they were painted in very nice decorator colors, and the white of the drywall where they'd been bumped with furniture really showed. So, because I'm a wimp, I went back to the front desk and asked if there was another unit with a hot tub that we could change to, hoping to get a cleaner one. I mentioned that the carpet needed cleaning in this unit, and I heard the clerk note it to another worker.

The front desk nicely changed us to another unit, which was in exactly the same condition. There was even a piece of cracker from the previous guest still sitting on the carpeted steps! The trash under the kitchen sink had not been emptied, and we eventually found several burned out light bulbs. None of these things were deal breakers, so we decided to make the best of it and had a wonderful time. There were good things here, too: the bedding and linens were spotless and beautiful, and the condo, if it had been maintained, was beautiful.

I know I could have dealt with this when we were there, but I didn't want to spend our vacation time doing so. So when I received a manager's email asking about our stay, I reported all of the above. He was very responsive, apologized, and credited my card for part of the stay. I appreciated this response.

The Stanley Hotel is a great, historic place. We enjoyed the hotel tour and had a lovely dinner in the restaurant. We are going to try it again the next time we visit Estes Park, and really hope they have addressed these issues.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank snowmomColorado
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My family of 4 rented a one bedroom condo for our stay. We enjoyed sitting on the patio and looking down on the town below. We went during Fourth of July. And could see the fireworks right from the front yard. The grocery store is about 3 blocks away, and we were happy to eat a home cooked meal in the full kitchen. This condo is located a few steps from the Stanley Hotel, so we also walked there to have a delicious breakfast one morning. I did give the unit 4 stars because the sleep sofa was so uncomfortable for the kids, but that is our only complaint. A 2 bedroom would be best if needed.

Room Tip: Get a 2bedroom unit to avoid the sleep sofas
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Galeless
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is an elegant reminder of the past. Very reminiscent of other historic hotels such as The Queen Mary, and The Strater Hotel in Durango CO. the staff were extremely helpful and the amenities were excellent. Just be advised that this is a hotel from a different era and therefore is not an example of a modern hotel. The floors creak, and there are armoires instead of closets, but it is charming!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
South Point, Ohio
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Our stay at the Stanley was to take in the history and visit The Rocky Mountain National Park. We loved everything about the Stanley except that with temperatures running high, you must know that there is no air conditioning, only fans. Our overall experience was not tarnished by being a little warm until late evening.The hotel is everything we could have imagined!

Room Tip: Don`t waist your money on the suites or the views, you won`t be in your room very much to need and o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and i travel quite a bit and stay various types of lodgings. As an expensive, historic Inn my expectations were set high and not even close to being met.
As you enter the lobby you are in a mess of people, half of them there to tour the hotel. You will notice there is a definite lack of a feeling of privacy and security.
The staff is polite but not warm and welcoming.
There is no concierge so we were left to figure out dining and local attractions on our own (neither is there information on these things in the rooms).
We were never informed of the puny, non-informational map on the back of our room card holder nor where anything was located throughout the hotel. The exercise area (apparently on the 2nd floor) is not labeled or clearly marked outside of the doors. The pool is permanently closed.
Although the hotel and grounds are expansive, there are no on premise activities aside from tours which were booked for days and/or not offered every day. I was further disappointed that there are no priority or "guest-only" tours.
The room was not nearly as clean as it should have been. Carpeting under the bed was full of dust. The bottle of shower gel mixed in with the other toiletries had been used by the previous guests but was left for us to use! One of our water glasses had small seeds dried to the sides but was left for us to use as well. When I called housekeeping there was no answer so i left a message. No response was received so I had to take the items to the front desk and ask for replacements.
The water pressure in the shower was poor and the water temperature was luke-warm at best!
There is no air conditioning so all windows need to be left open at all times...an annoying problem when dogs are allowed at "The Lodge" building and left barking all afternoon!! Furthermore there was no "Do not disturb" sign so we were wakened by housekeeping our second morning.
All in all, I would not return. The hotel is overpriced and overrated.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Coldwater, MS
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Booked & prepaid a stay at the stanley several hours prior to check in 6/11, and the reservations people messed it up so we were upgraded to the Overlook condos, unit 345. We were pleasantly surprised. While not the Stanley, it is a nice 2 br (one and a loft bedroom) 2 bath condo. Perfect size for my husband, 3 kids (10, 6 & 4) and myself. After 2 weeks on the road, we were glad to have room to really spread out and even do laundry! There were games for the kids, DVD's, wi fi, hottub, and a full kitchen. no a/c in the units per the front desk. It was a nice day, so opened the windows. nicely furnished, hardwood floors. Really enjoyed our stay here. Just wsh we had booked more than one night. Had a view of downtown & the lake. Overall, a very relaxing stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family