“Beautiful spot, friendly and low key.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Machin's Cottages in the Pines
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful spot, friendly and low key.”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The cottages are great - cute and well maintained and comfortable. We loved that it's away from the road, but it's still quick and easy to get into town or the park. We had a great time hiking different trails in and near the park during the day and going out or cooking at night.
An extra nice experience was after we left, when I realized I had left behind a blouse in the cabin. The owner found it and mailed it to me.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Rachael N

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
South Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Once again we stayed in cabin #9 at Machin's, this time for a week.
How relaxing this stay was. The cabins are exceptionally clean!! The area is away from traffic so it is very quiet and peaceful, but close enough to see and do everything you want. The views and wildlife are a WOW. We had deer right next to our deck!! We went through 8 LBS of peanuts feeding the ground squirrels and chipmunks. They will dance for peanuts!!! Hummingbirds are everywhere. The drive across the mountain on the Ridge road is spectacular.
Mr Machin and his staff are wonderful and are there for anything you need.
These cabins in the woods fill up fast so we recommend an early reservation.
You wont regret it.
Thanks
Cyndy from IL

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank cyndy w
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

This is a wonderful base for exploring the Rocky Mountain National Park. The cabins are superb - spacious, comfortable, comprehensively equipped, well constructed and beautifully located. This is a great place for bird-watchers. The cabins are very quiet and peaceful with a very generous amount of space between them. Everything is very well planned and laid-out and the cabins are very clean and well maintained. In my view the cost represents excellent value for money. This is a great location that would suit older couples (like us) and young families (and everyone else!). We can recommend this place unreservedly.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PhilFiler
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Our family of 6 has been staying at Machin's for over 10 years. We have stayed in 3 different cabins. Each cabin is very clean, has a well stocking kitchen and outdoor gas grill. Lots of wildlife to watch especially the deer and elk. We like feeding the chipmunks and hummingbird. Machin's is inside the Rocky Mountain National Park and you can start a hiking trail from the grounds trail to the Moraine visitor center. Great outdoor play area of children and who needs a pool. It is a very quite and safe place to stay. Has free WI-FI.

We have tried 2 other locations because we didn't book early. Before you leave make RSVP for next year or you will miss out on the best place to stay. We love you Mr. Machin.

Room Tip: All the cabins have a great view.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TexasGalDFW
Paradise, Texas, United States
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Machin's. It's quiet and away from the traffic noise, but it's only a few minutes from a convenient store, less than 10 minutes to downtown Estes Park, and 5 minutes from the entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Everyone was friendly and the cabin was very clean. I would recommend anyone to stay at these cabins if you want peace and quiet, but not far from all the attractions and have the opportunity to have the wildlife come right up to your back door!

Thank you Machin's for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: I would say that any of the cabins would be great to stay in, just depends on what you would need!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JPatrick45
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I can't add very much to the previous review, except to say that we also have been staying at Machin's nearly every year since 1988. The setting is quiet and secluded, and the other customers, mainly repeat business, are also usually quiet, so it's a very relaxing place to stay, with great views and wildlife outside your window. The cabins are immaculate, and well-equipped in the kitchen for simple cooking. My only (very small) negative remark would be that the furniture in the living room is often quite uncomfortable. However, that is far outweighed by the many positive features of the place. As noted by the previous reviewer, if you stay there at the end of August, Mr. Machin offers two-bedroom cabins for the price of a one-bedroom, which also usually gives you a larger living room and kitchen. We did also discover by accident this year (he doesn't advertise it) that Machin's now offers wi-fi. Some guests may want to totally disconnect during their vacation, but for those who want or need access, this is a nice feature. We will look forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank eastmidwest
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I apologize if this turns into a long review, but I want everyone to understand how great this place is.
I have stayed at Machin's 5 times now over the years with my parents and brother. The first time was in 1988 when I was 6, then again at age 11 (1993), age 12 (1994), age 20 (2002) and age 28 (2010). The first four visits, we stayed in Cottage #2 and it became like our "vacation home". On the last visit, my brother and now had spouses, so with 6 adults, we had to stay in a bigger cabin. But we loved it just as much.
Machin's is not the cheapest lodging in Estes Park, but it has to be among the best. The cottages are all in excellent condition - well maintained and very neat and clean. The furnishings are not new (I think everything in cottage #2 stayed the same all four time I was in it), but they are in good shape. It's obvious that Mr. Machin and his staff care about the property and take care of it well. Mr. Machin himself is extremely kind and helpful and helped steer us toward the right cottage for us on this last visit.
The setting of Machin's cottages can't be beat. It's within park boundaries, and the quiet and solitude are incredible and the scenery is beautiful. There is a trail to the Moraine visitor center, which is a wonderful walk to take early in the morning or in the evening when you want to do something relaxing and enjoyable but not strenuous. And if you want a more strenuous activity, you can make it to the top of Eagle Cliff (the mountain behind the cottages) for incredible views.
The wildlife watching is a great source of entertainment. I've always liked feeding nuts to the chipmunks and birds and filling up the hummingbird feeders on the porch. In the past, we had always visited in August, but this last time we went in early June (Trip Advisor wouldn't let me select a month that far back, so that's why it says I stayed in August). By coming that early, we were able to see the elk graze outside our picture windows as they migrated up to higher land for the season, and we also saw deer, coyotes and fox from within the living room.
I can't imagine a better place to stay in Estes Park and I can't recommend this place highly enough. Over the span of 23 years, it has been consistently good. No matter where else I travel and how many new places I want to see, I always look forward to my next visit to Machin's Cottages in the Pines.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family