“Awesome spot for a wedding! Or a weekend getaway.”
Review of Dao House

Dao House
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Had our daughter's wedding here. Gracious and courteous staff, delicious food, great views and location. Swimming, a lake to paddle around in, hot tub. A magical weekend. Both the cabins and the lodge have a phenomenal view of the Rocky Mountains.

Room Tip: Ask for the West-facing rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank itscoke
There are newer reviews for Dao House

Reviewed 7 July 2013

If you are looking for a tranquil, adventurous, mountain family resort...your search stops here! I am in my early 40s, my mother in her early 60s and I have 11 year old twin boys. This lodge has something for each one of us! We have been coming here faithfully for the last seven years. This year, we observed that the lodge looked much better (per upkeep) than the previous few years. We soon found out that it was under new ownership, Master Chen.....what an incredibly generous and hospitable host! We also purchased one of his books which he kindly autographed.

To start, the beds are so comfortable, equipped with duvets....not bedspreads. The rooms are very clean and spacious. Beautiful mountain views from the second floor in the lodge with an awesome shared porch/balcony. My children were so busy with all the different outdoor amenities offered that they simply did not turn on the new flat screen television (gasp!), but it's a great touch that's been added this year to all the rooms. We fished, boated, swam, sat in the sauna, played racquetball, went horseback, and we still did not have time for all the activities available! There were a ton of bicycles for rent and many people were headed to the mountains for hiking, a few were on the tennis courts, and the lodge was also offering a Tai Chi evening class.

The meals were phenomenal. I believe the restaurant is now called Simplicity? The boys said that they had "the best hamburgers ever". I had the grilled trout with grapes in white wine reduction. Fabulous!!! We also also the grilled eggplant with fresh goat cheese! There is also now a free Continental breakfast that was not previously offered in years before Master Chen came. The spa menu has also been revised for the best, offering many more services.

So far, we are very impressed (in comparison to the last 7 years) with what all has been done to our favorite place in Estes Park! We simply cannot wait to see what all Master Chen does with his new lodge as he appears to have wonderful ideas! We wish him luck, prosperity and to be greeted with kindness.....

Room Tip: Along with your flip flops, bring running shoes....
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The Lodge is outside of 'downtown' Estes Park. This is great if you want to be away from the crowds and tourist traps, but it is a bit of a drive to restaurants, shops, gas, and Rocky Mountain National Park. Luckily the friendly staff showed us a 'short cut' to get to RMNP without having to go through Estes Park proper to get there. The room was nice and I enjoyed the 24 hour water and tea making capability in the lobby, but I did encounter some specific issues. By the time I went down to breakfast our first morning, a lot of items were gone (one cereal, butter, napkins, bagels, juice, forks) and no one came around the whole time I was there to refill anything. The second morning was better and someone was refilling items on a regular basis. The shower in our room was an issue. The first day, I had to struggle to find a comfortable temperature. The second day was a lost cause. It was either scalding hot or ice cold. I ended up not being able to shower at all and washed my hair in the small bathroom sink.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CldChicago
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We spent a wonderful week in one of the cabins in Aspen Lodge. It was my boyfriend and four kids and the cabin, "Trailhead" was plenty big. We enjoyed meeting Ricky the cowboy. My daughter was very scared to ride a horse and he took very good care of her. Brian was very attentive and very friendly during our second horse riding adventure. The restaurant was amazing and the food was yummy, we recommend the smoked tilapia sandwich and finish it off with Will's warm brownie topped with dark godiva chocolate. By the way, Will is not only a great chef but a wonderful person with a great spirit. Our waiters Elijah and Soloman were so friendly with an easy smile everytime we came back to eat. Our girls had a cute crush on them. During our stay in Aspen Lodge we not only felt like family but also was sadden to leave. I also met Amber our housekeeper and she was a sweetheart. The cabins were clean and very spacious. We are looking forward to our next trip to Estes Park and planning to stay again with our new friends in Aspen Lodge. Thanks again everyone. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were married here in 2011. Our family and friends said it was the best wedding they had ever been too. Granted we had a carnival.

We hope that all the issues we had in the planning process are no longer an issue with the new ownership. They were closed all winter and many people's reservations were missing.

The whole place is beautiful. We had a several day long vacation with family and friends. The pool is great, the cabins are adorable. There is even some bears!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Great time, very clean place, nice and quiet and rooms were an unexpected surprise, normally mountain hotels and resorts are smelly, stuffy, and quite frankly are old and stink. This place was very clean, towels were like new and soft, bed comfortable, view from room great, no mold in bathroom, and room was fresh. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Parking is very convenient. TV could use a few more channels and the breakfast was nothing to speak of but if you want a relaxing hotel this is it. Now the big plus in Colorado, NO DOGS, no dog butts on the bed or furniture or in the lobby or barking dogs, why folks think we want the filth of their dogs in rooms is beyond me. This resort also has a spa and restaurant. I think you will enjoy the lobby, high ceilings built upon a log cabin style, very relaxing. I am a critical traveler and this place was very relaxing and went beyond my expectations for a Colorado hotel in the mountains.

Room Tip: All rooms you will find clean and quiet, they also have cabins which are all nicely located.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This is by far one of the most relaxing places we've ever stayed. The views are incredible from every room in the lodge but we were in room 106 and the view from the balcony was unbeatable. We did not eat at their restaurant because it's pricey but the continental breakfast was okay. They had fresh fruit, which was appreciated, the standard fare otherwise. The two complaints I might have is that there isn't a coffee pot in the room and they didn't have any coffee until about 7:30 a.m. which is late for us early risers. The other complaint is that there isn't a hair dryer in the room so I couldn't wash my hair or it would just frizz without a dryer. Plus, this time of year it's cool and you don't want to go outside with wet hair. It sprinkled but it wasn't extremely cold or wet. There was a ton of wildlife about. We saw elk, rabbits, lots of birds and at Lily Lake the brown cutthroat trout were spawning. The bed was very comfortable; firm. Not many channels on TV but that's not what you want to spend time doing anyway. Their Tai Chi class was a workout for my husband who used to teach karate to kids. Their Master Chen is pleasant and very understanding and also the owner of the place. The great room always had a real fire crackling in the fireplace and the chairs are so comfortable you don't want to get out of them. There are also wooden patio swings on the balcony outside each room to enjoy the view. The staff are very pleasant and couldn't have been nicer! We will definitely return here. At 9,200 ft., you may have trouble breathing if you aren't used to the altitude.

Room Tip: Whether you get a cottage or a room in the lodge, I don't think you could go wrong. We enjoyed t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple