“Mediocre Breakfast”

Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
“Mediocre Breakfast”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed two nights and the rooms were fine, clean and in good shape. The staff was friendly, though we were a bit surprised at the 4 P.M. checkin time.

We were travelling for about two weeks and most places we stayed in provided breakfast. I regret to stay that this was the worst "hot" breakfast I have had in years.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Lincoln, California
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed here 4 nights during September 2012 and must say that this motel is one of the best run/maintained motels!

Owned/opertated by same owners for 49 years!
Pride-of-ownership really shines!

Also great location!

Room Tip: Be sure to specify 1st or 2nd floor because there are NO elevators. Back side is quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We chose this hotel after a positive experience in 2008. The facilities are very nice and the rooms reasonably priced for the area.

However, anything positive about the hotel facilities is overshadowed by the horrible hotel management. I generally expect hospitality industry management to be hospitable, apparently that is not a requirement for this hotel's management.

We had reservations for a 3 night stay, and as with all reservations at this hotel they were pre-paid. On the evening of our initial check-in, we were hiking on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park and my wife came down with altitude sickness and had to go to the ER. As we were being discharged around 8pm, the ER doctor told us not to go to our hotel on the east side of the park because we would have to cross a mountain pass and the altitude change would cause my wife to relapse and have to come back to the ER.

We got an alternate hotel in Winter Park, and from there I called the Silver Saddle to let them know that we could not make it. They said that I would still be charged for the night there since we were past the cancellation date (which was 4pm three days ahead of check-in), even though we were in the ER and medical conditions prevented us from getting to Estes Park. They also said I could discuss with the hotel manager the next day regarding the cancellation.

The next day when we arrived at the hotel, upon check-in I asked to talk to the general manager. I explained the situation to him, even showing him the discharge papers from the ER to prove our story. He did not care or show any sympathy to our situation, all he did was say "you did not cancel before the cancellation time and therefore I have to charge you for the night" and mentioned that I had a copy of the cancellation policy in the confirmation email I received. I continued to explain that medical conditions prevented us from arriving, and he made the statements "we're in a resort area so we must enforce cancellation policies" and "we get very little walk-in traffic and I would not be able to resell the room if I let you cancel so late".

While explaining this, the general manager was extremely rude and uncaring, acting like I was trying to take his money from him. The general manager made no concessions in light of our situation. They had our money with the prepaid reservation; we didn't cancel by the cancellation date; and therefore we get nothing in return - end of story. To this day I am out that one night's stay. If they didn't already have my money for the other two nights, I would have cancelled altogether and found another hotel (and when I mentioned this to the general manager he didn't really care).

As we were checking out, the employee checking us out saw that we did not get a refund due to us from a previous rate change that should have been given at check-in time. Apparently the general manager was too busy quoting their cancellation policy to me to give back money due to us.

I understand that they have a business to run and that technically we were past the cancellation date - however one cannot plan for an ER trip and medical conditions preventing the last 60 miles of travel. These situations cannot be predicted by the cancellation time which is three days ahead of check-in. I have never had a hotel manager tell me they cannot do something for me out of concern of not selling a room - that statement to me illustrates what really matters to this hotel management: money.

Something else to watch for: they have a person "guarding" the continental breakfast. You have to show a pass to get in, and they will not let you leave with food. Also, if there are no tables available they will not let you go into breakfast. I've never seen this at any other hotel I've stayed at, and it further shows the extremely "customer unfriendly" atmosphere at this hotel.

Room Tip: Tip #1: Choose another hotel - avoid this hotel Tip #2: If you must stay here, get trip insurance...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Billy755
Randolph, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The Silver Saddle in Estes has been updated within the past few years and is an exceptionally clean venue with comfortable rooms and a decent hot breakfast each morning. Our room had a very nice small refrigerator, microwave and single-serve coffee maker which made pretty good coffee. The only downsides of this location were limited parking for the upper level rooms and a very crowded breakfast room, in which at times you must wait for a table to eat. The staff was friendly and accommodating and given the sparkling rooms, I'd say this is a very good choice. We also had a lovely balcony looking out over some of the smaller mountains in the area which would have been a great place to have a drink or snack or just unwind after a busy day.

Room Tip: Exceptionally clean room, upper level room had nice balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna B
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We arrived at 2pm instead of 4pm for check-in and the owner advised us that it was 2 hours earlier in this state. The hotel was very clean and the free breakfast was good but the lady at the desk for breakfast was not very nice. We would not recommend this hotel as the general atmosphere was not friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BLANCHE1984
Rancho Santa Fe, California
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel and we were quoted $139 by the lady working the front desk. Unfortunately, I didn't check to see if the charge was correct before I signed and noticed a few days later on our account that we were billed $180. I called this Best Western 8/19/12 and spoke with a man that could careless and was not helpful whatsoever! He kept stating "well, you signed for it" and ranted about the contract. The difference is $40, which I am upset about, but more upset about the basic principles of it. I was quoted $139, so charge me for the correct price!

Stay away from this location or check your bill before signing! They are thieves!

The breakfast service was awful. They had a woman standing making sure you had a ticket and would not let you in without it. Not friendly at all. Everything at this hotel is "No this, no that". Their signs at the breakfast room says it all.

Such a disappointing experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank EdwardD505
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have been staying at the Silver Saddle for close to 10 years and it is ALWAYS a wonderful experience. Cory, the General Magaer and his staff, maintain this motor lodge in PRISTINE condition. It is the only accomodations that are as or cleaner than my own home! If you are coming to Estes Park, there is no other place to call home. David & Maureen Kerr

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple