“The devil is in the details”

The Estes Park Resort
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We had traveled to Estes park for a conference. The Lake Shore Lodge Mountain Hotel is a beautiful building. There are many spectacular views. We did not get one of those views. Our room was a basement (listed as first floor) with a view of the parking lot retaining wall. We complained to the front desk upon registering and were told the hotel was full and nothing could be done. We were also told that we should have been advised about the room when we originally made our reservation. We were not advised bout that and had booked early for the conference, so my feeling is that there should have been no excuse. Those room should have been the last ones given out. To be fair, the room was clean and in good condition, but a basement view is pretty bad. The one night I chose to eat in the bar, I was ignored for about 10 minutes while the bartender played with the cash register. I got annoyed and left , and upon returning later was informed they decided to close the bar early, because the hotel was full for the conference. This is pretty short sighted in lieu of the fact that many of the attendees would be looking for a night cap when the conference ended, and would have to go out to get one. The difference between a good facility and an average one is in the details. That is why I gave this hotel an average rating.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a retaining wall view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Uncle Jack
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Hello Uncle Jack,

I'm sorry we were unable to provide for you one of our Mountain View Rooms, we do make every effort to explain the location of room types upon a reservation being made, however I'm afraid that on occassion room blocks, or guests who extend their stay without our knowing in advance make it difficult to provide our best rooms to each and every guest. I will share your feedback with our Reservations Department in order to ensure that each and every guest will know exactly what type of room they are reserving- so no one will be disappointed. Your advice is good however, if a room with a view is a priority for travelers, I also would recommend requesting what is known as a "Lakeview" Room.

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you will consider giving us the honor of being your host again if you ever come back to Estes Park!

There are newer reviews for The Estes Park Resort

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Was there for 5 nights for workshop and conference. First fall snow but rooms were warm. Steak good, pasta so so from restaurant. Recommend book with Estes Park shuttle from Denver airport ground transportation instead cos it is a direct 1.5 hour without switching bus unlike with SuperShuttle.

• Stayed: October 2011

Hi Cottgirl:

Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us. We also appreciate hearing information that can improve other traveler's experience with us on the way to our location from outside of Estes. I will share your opinion about the Estes Park shuttle from DIA instead of Super Shuttle- we want our guests to be comfortable not only once they arrive to stay with us, but to and from us as well.

I hope that next time you are in the Estes Park area, you will give us the pleasure of again being your hosts!

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I loved it so much and it was so beautiful I would not stay anywhere else. The room was the perfect size. When you step outside in the morning on to the balcony and see the view of the lake reflecting the mountains it is majestic. The restaurant was very good. the people at the front counter were very helpful every time I went there for a question. To wrap it up I would say loved it loved it loved it. I wish I knew how to attach picture for you.

• Stayed: October 2011

John S-

Thank you so much for your testament to our beautiful hotel, and the even more beautiful natural surroundings. We would humbly agree with you that we certainly do have the best views in town, and are more than happy to share it with anyone who would wish to stay with us! I hope someday you can return, and enjoy it again!

Safe travels!

Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband & I had a 2 room suite with Jacuzz tub, sounded romantic. The views were awesome but the furnishings left a lot to be desired. The couch was worn and the 2 chairs in front of the fireplace were falling apart and had staples holding the cloth on. While they did trade them out it meant they put them in someone elses room. The pilot light was out on the fireplace which they relit. The resturaunt was good and the staff friendly. But if we would have wanted bargin basement furnishing we would have booked a bargain hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gz949

Hi GZ949-

I am very sorry to hear that your room furnishings did not meet your expectations. We agree with you.

The LakeShore Lodge has recently been purchased by a new ownership group, and has a new management team operating this beautiful hotel, in an amazing location! One of the first orders of business is to do a complete renovation of all of our guest rooms and public areas! This process is underway and is scheduled to be completed in the Spring of 2012- I hope next time you are in the Estes area, you will consider staying with us again to see all the new exciting changes we can provide under our new name "The Estes Park Resort"!

Reviewed 2 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently and were incredibly impressed. The hotel sits on a really pretty lake in Estes Park with great views of the mountains. We actually had elk come right up to us in the parking lot which was SOOOOO COOL!!!! The staff was really nice and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The rates were very reasonable as well. All in all, a fabulous stay at Lakeshore Lodge and Estes Park, Colorado. I really look forward to next visit! :) Thanks!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview....totally worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Hi Todd,

As a former Minnesotan myself (Lakeville), I can appreciate the enjoyment I've had on Prior Lake. However as beautiful as Prior is, I tend to agree with you that the natural beauty that surrounds our soon to be named Estes Park Resort is one of the best locations in the nation. Thank you for staying with us, and I hope we can be your hosts again next time you are in the area!

Happy Travels!

Reviewed 1 October 2011

As the coordinator for a recent corporate event we held at Lakeshore Lodge, I am delighted to give the Lodge and it's staff an overwhelming vote of approval.

As I was in the midst of making plans for our event, I read a review of the lodge on TripAdvisor that was entitled "The Wedding From Hell". I immediately panicked as the names mentioned in that review were people at the Lodge that I was working with and it was too late for me to back out.

Thanks to Trevor, we had no accommodations snafus; Meghan had everything set up just as we requested; Anne was most accommodating in the dining room and Nicole and Krista who worked the front desk honored every request with patience and cheerfulness.

The only problem we encountered was a shortage of food for our Saturday dinner but Kory readily acknowledged the problem and adjusted our bill accordingly.

The "Weekend From Hell" that I so feared truly did turn out to be a very "Heavenly Weekend"

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are most desirable; Garden level are least desirable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Betty W

Hi Betty,

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your experience with us. We acknowledge that despite the best of intentions, planning, and organization - sometimes event don't go perfectly. But I promise you that our entire team (as you experienced) is top notch and extremely professional in our efforts to make every event an outstanding success! We strive to create an environment that will make lasting memories, and I hope that is just what happened during your event with us. I hope you can join us again!

Reviewed 30 September 2011

We stayed here for 6 days in September and loved it! (Estes Park is beautiful this time of year!) We had a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony view of Lake Estes and the view is gorgeous! While sitting on the balcony one evening we were even able to hear Elk bugling in the distance...so neat! The accomodations were great and the staff was very friendly! We ate at the restaurant twice and it was FANTASTIC! I highly recommend the portabella stuffed raviolis! YUM! The place is clean,well maintained and had every amenity that we needed. We will definately be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marlena H

HI Marlena,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor for others to see! We value your, and all guest opinions and am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope you can visit us again....We will soon be named The Estes Park Resort, so look for us under that listing.