“Meh”

The Estes Park Resort
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 3 January 2012

It's a rather soulless hotel, but the bed was comfy and it was a good view. The food in the restaurant was ok - big portions, but not especially tasty - but the service was excellent. There's a pool and a hot tub, too. I'd suggest it's ok if other places are booked or you're fans of large hotels.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Hi Hamish,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with travelers to this site. I am sorry we didn't WOW you on your recent stay with us. We strive to make every trip a memorable one for every guest, and it appears that while you did not have a bad experience, it could have been better. I can openly admit, once the summer season ends, the hotel can be a bit empty and not nearly as much actiivity is going on in town. If you do have the opportunity to come back to the area in the future - I would love to be your hosts at our newly remodeled Estes Park Resort. We will be improving everything about our hotel and restaurant which will hopefully meet your expectations next time.
Hope to see you again,

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Every time I think about this hotel, I turn red. They overcharged us for our room, especially since they knew that we were in town for a wedding that was at their hotel. We were supposed to get a "special rate" for the event. They told us that the special room rate block of rooms were sold out. They weren't. This was a small wedding, and we knew the guests. Our dirty and outdated room had a view of a retaining wall. The hair dryer in the room didn't work, so I went to the front desk for another one. It took the clerk 10 minutes to tell me that he gave the last spare one out minutes before I showed up. On top of that, the clerk was rude. Asking why I didn't have my own hairdryer was not acceptable to me. Thankfully we were only there for two days. Rudeness and taking advantage of customers is completely uncalled for.

• Stayed: May 2011
8  Thank StephanieStarr
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Hello Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your experience with us this past spring. I'm afraid that I was not here to resolve your concerns prior to your stay taking place with us, but I would appreciate the opportunity to correct any errors made if you would allow me to do so.

First of all however, I would like to ensure there is a clear understanding of how a group block of rooms works. When a block of rooms is set aside for a wedding, or any other special event, in exchange for a discounted rate, guests must reserve their room at least 30 days in advance; and once the number of rooms requested by the event coordinator are sold out, or that 30 day cut off date has passed, any unsold rooms in the hotel are sold at the full rate currently available. If your reservation was made within the allotted timeframe, please feel free to contact me directly, and I will be happy to see if we can resolve it to your satisfaction. We value your opinion of us, and would appreciate the opportunity to prove to you that you are important to us!

As far as the hairdryer incident goes, you have my sincere apology, and confidence it is not something that will happen again in the future to yourself, or any other individual travelers. We currently under new ownership, management, and once our renovation is complete in the spring of 2012, included will be brand new hairdryers in each and every room.

I would love to make things right for you, and I hope to hear from you soon,

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We had traveled to Estes park for a conference. The Lake Shore Lodge Mountain Hotel is a beautiful building. There are many spectacular views. We did not get one of those views. Our room was a basement (listed as first floor) with a view of the parking lot retaining wall. We complained to the front desk upon registering and were told the hotel was full and nothing could be done. We were also told that we should have been advised about the room when we originally made our reservation. We were not advised bout that and had booked early for the conference, so my feeling is that there should have been no excuse. Those room should have been the last ones given out. To be fair, the room was clean and in good condition, but a basement view is pretty bad. The one night I chose to eat in the bar, I was ignored for about 10 minutes while the bartender played with the cash register. I got annoyed and left , and upon returning later was informed they decided to close the bar early, because the hotel was full for the conference. This is pretty short sighted in lieu of the fact that many of the attendees would be looking for a night cap when the conference ended, and would have to go out to get one. The difference between a good facility and an average one is in the details. That is why I gave this hotel an average rating.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a retaining wall view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Uncle Jack

Hello Uncle Jack,

I'm sorry we were unable to provide for you one of our Mountain View Rooms, we do make every effort to explain the location of room types upon a reservation being made, however I'm afraid that on occassion room blocks, or guests who extend their stay without our knowing in advance make it difficult to provide our best rooms to each and every guest. I will share your feedback with our Reservations Department in order to ensure that each and every guest will know exactly what type of room they are reserving- so no one will be disappointed. Your advice is good however, if a room with a view is a priority for travelers, I also would recommend requesting what is known as a "Lakeview" Room.

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you will consider giving us the honor of being your host again if you ever come back to Estes Park!

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Was there for 5 nights for workshop and conference. First fall snow but rooms were warm. Steak good, pasta so so from restaurant. Recommend book with Estes Park shuttle from Denver airport ground transportation instead cos it is a direct 1.5 hour without switching bus unlike with SuperShuttle.

• Stayed: October 2011

Hi Cottgirl:

Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us. We also appreciate hearing information that can improve other traveler's experience with us on the way to our location from outside of Estes. I will share your opinion about the Estes Park shuttle from DIA instead of Super Shuttle- we want our guests to be comfortable not only once they arrive to stay with us, but to and from us as well.

I hope that next time you are in the Estes Park area, you will give us the pleasure of again being your hosts!

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I loved it so much and it was so beautiful I would not stay anywhere else. The room was the perfect size. When you step outside in the morning on to the balcony and see the view of the lake reflecting the mountains it is majestic. The restaurant was very good. the people at the front counter were very helpful every time I went there for a question. To wrap it up I would say loved it loved it loved it. I wish I knew how to attach picture for you.

• Stayed: October 2011

John S-

Thank you so much for your testament to our beautiful hotel, and the even more beautiful natural surroundings. We would humbly agree with you that we certainly do have the best views in town, and are more than happy to share it with anyone who would wish to stay with us! I hope someday you can return, and enjoy it again!

Safe travels!

Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband & I had a 2 room suite with Jacuzz tub, sounded romantic. The views were awesome but the furnishings left a lot to be desired. The couch was worn and the 2 chairs in front of the fireplace were falling apart and had staples holding the cloth on. While they did trade them out it meant they put them in someone elses room. The pilot light was out on the fireplace which they relit. The resturaunt was good and the staff friendly. But if we would have wanted bargin basement furnishing we would have booked a bargain hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gz949

Hi GZ949-

I am very sorry to hear that your room furnishings did not meet your expectations. We agree with you.

The LakeShore Lodge has recently been purchased by a new ownership group, and has a new management team operating this beautiful hotel, in an amazing location! One of the first orders of business is to do a complete renovation of all of our guest rooms and public areas! This process is underway and is scheduled to be completed in the Spring of 2012- I hope next time you are in the Estes area, you will consider staying with us again to see all the new exciting changes we can provide under our new name "The Estes Park Resort"!

Reviewed 2 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently and were incredibly impressed. The hotel sits on a really pretty lake in Estes Park with great views of the mountains. We actually had elk come right up to us in the parking lot which was SOOOOO COOL!!!! The staff was really nice and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The rates were very reasonable as well. All in all, a fabulous stay at Lakeshore Lodge and Estes Park, Colorado. I really look forward to next visit! :) Thanks!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview....totally worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Hi Todd,

As a former Minnesotan myself (Lakeville), I can appreciate the enjoyment I've had on Prior Lake. However as beautiful as Prior is, I tend to agree with you that the natural beauty that surrounds our soon to be named Estes Park Resort is one of the best locations in the nation. Thank you for staying with us, and I hope we can be your hosts again next time you are in the area!

Happy Travels!