“Overpriced...”

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Ottsville, PA
“Overpriced...”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I was impressed and delighted when we checked in, lovely lobby, very welcoming. We specifically requested a room with a nice view (anything but a parking lot). We were told that the rooms have private balconies/decks - this is true but it is anything but private. It is merely a deck that runs the around the hotel; there are no barriers between rooms. This wasn't such a big deal, but when you are told each room has a balcony/deck, one would assume that it would have some type of deliniation. They advertise a happy hour with complimentary appetizers - never happened; chef was out or some such thing. The restaurant was EMPTY - we were the only guests that showed up. The room was of adequate size but the bathroom sink was not in the bathroom - it was in the main room - thought this was rather strange. When we ordered room service for breakfast, it was delivered promptly; no utensils; no place to set the plates down. Called room service and they came back with utensils but would have to look for a table; they sent up a waiter's tray; they did not have room service tables. We once again sat down to eat - no condiments, i.e., salt/pepper, etc. We were out for the day, returned about 5pm - housekeeping never came in. When I asked why, no reason. I will stop here...you get the general gist. Would we return? Perhaps with some improvements but overall, very pricey and not worth it......do more research.

Room Tip: The best view are the rooms next to the restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jacqcris
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Hi CristiniJacque,

Thank you for being our guest!
I am sorry that you had the impression that we have private balconies, would you be willing to contact me directly at the hotel to let me know how you were misinformed? I am wondering if perhaps a travel website listed the balconies as private, when as you experienced, they are not. (By the way, separating them is something we are looking into based on feedback such as yours) We do have a happy hour in our lounge with discounted drink prices and complimentary appetizers Sundays thru Wednesdays - Did your stay take place during any of these dates? If so, I again apologize and will share this information with our kitchen and bar staff.
Thank you for your feedback, we will distribute it to all of our Department Managers in order to improve the quality of our products and services so that the stay you described is the exception, not the normal level of service a guest can expect to receive from us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Rooms were very roomy and nicely decorated, clean as well. Somewhat pricey. Restaurant is a different story, very unprofessionally run. Long waiting times and food mediocre. I would go again, just choose a different restaurant .

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Aussiebitz
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Hello,
Thank you for being our guest- and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, however I also would like to apologize for any inconveneinces you experienced in our restaurant. I would love to hear some specifics we can take to improve ourselves. Thank you again for staying with us, I hope to hear from you soon.
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Our committe booked the grand ballroom for the EP class of '82 : 30th reunion. It was thee best place to have held this! The atmosphere is wonderful! Jamie in sales was so wonderful to work with and is very thorough on everything you could possible want or need. She was very helpful in taking us through the steps of planning!
We started with an appetizer that was fabulous! We had a wonderful buffet dinner (of which there are many items too choose for your group) ! We had picked the Prime rib, which was very good and also the stuffed salmon, great as well! Add to that garlic mashed potatoes and an asperagus/mushroom rosetti. And a nice big mixed green salad. It was all very good! The attention to detail was AWESOME from the get go, to the night of the event! The service was attentive, and the bartender (Cameron?) was a favorite visit:)
We had a dance floor and so much fun with our former classmate DJ'ing all our 80's tunes for us! So needless to say; it was alot of fun!
I would highly reccommend if you are planning an event in Estes, that you contact sales and book today!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Hello to the Estes Class of '82:

It certainly did appear to me that your group was having a great time! Thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with others on this site. We appreciate and value your business, and your opinion. I hope we see you the next time your class gets together!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This hotel is in a great location. We booked a suite with a view of the lake. we received a partial view of the lake and a view of the parking lot. The room was not nearly as nice as the picture on the website. We booked an expensive room at a hotel that calls itself a resort and we received an average hotel room. The bathroom smelled of mildew and the towels provided were substandard and small. the general manager did try to fix the situation for us. however, the hotel was completely booked. we were stuck with the room we were issued. The hotel has potential: the staff and condition of the facilities need work.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jean c
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Estes Park Resort is a fabulous place to stay in Estes Park. The view of the lake and the mountains is fabulous! Our room was very clean and comfortable. The quality of food in the dining room was far above what most hotels offer. Management and staff are friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing west toward the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna M
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Hello Anna M,
Thank you for your kind words when describing your memory of your stay with us! We value your feedback, and I am very pleased to see your time with us was an enjoyable one! I hope you can join us again in the future! Happy & Safe travels to you!
North Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This hotel is over priced for what they have to offer. The hotel is understaffed and they tell you how overworked they are. If there is a wedding or any other special event the guests that have paid full price for the rooms are pretty much ignored. The manager was impossible to reach during the day. Would never stay at this hotel again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Ellen K
Christopher C, General Manager at The Estes Park Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Hello Ellen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion, I do wish we would have been able to speak during your visit when I could have hopefully addressed your concerns. I admit, I am not a sit in the office type of manager, instead preferring to be out in the hotel, interacting with our guests and staff to encourage the best possible experience for everyone involved in our resort. Estes Park is indeed a very busy place in the summer, we strive to exceed the expectations of every guest - group, or individual traveler. Please feel free to contact me directly at the resort, I'd really like to hear about your experience and take your feedback to share with our team so we may improve ourselves. Thank you for being our guest, I hope you will grant us the honor of serving you again after we speak.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for my 25th birthday for two nights. Our room was handicapped accessible (although we are not handicapped) and was located directly across from the elevators on the second floor which was noisy and annoying while people were coming and going during the day. I also did not like that the balcony on our room runs around the entire outside of the hotel. Balconies are not seperated by room, so there is no privacy. I wanted to open the door and get some fresh air but I didn't feel comfortable doing that because anyone outside could just walk into our room and hear our conversations. Our view was over the lake, which was very pretty. The bathroom was very odd and uncomfortable to us. The shower was litterally only 6 feet tall by about 3 feet deep and 3 feet wide and it being handicapped accessible, their was a fold-up seat in the shower. Even when folded up, you can image there was not much room to move around. We kind of had to duck down under the shower head to rinse off. I really suggest avoiding a handicapped accessible room unless its necessary for your needs. The last morning there was no hot water so we couldn't take showers. We mentioned it at the front desk at checkout and they gave us half off our room for one night, which I felt was generous. For that and the fact that the staff was all friendly, their customer service was pretty good. The room was overall clean and comfortable, but really nothing special. I don't think it was worth the $250 a night we paid for, maybe like $150. We both agree that what we really loved about this hotel was the bar and restaurant. The food was really good, and the bartender was willing to have some fun with us and make us "mystery" drinks. After eating some really nasty food in town the first night we ate all the rest of our meals at the hotel and never had anything bad. The location of the hotel was perfect. Only a couple of miles to attractions like the Stanley hotel, but slightly removed from downtown Estes Park in a pretty, quiet, peaceful location on the lake.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kensley B
Hi Kensley,
Thank you for being our guest, and for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. If you would like to join us again in the future, feel free to "like" our facebook page, where we on occassion do offer specials and promotions. I hope to see you again!