“Amazing place to stay!!! We will be back again and again!”

McGregor Mountain Lodge
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We just got back from our 5th stay at McGregor and it was amazing again. It is a great place to stay. It has everything nature can offer - wildlife galore, amazing views and the peace of being in the mountains. We were in 11A this time - we usually stay in 16. What an amazing room! It was the nicest place we have ever stayed at. The view from our beds was the Continental Divide. It was unbelievable!! We LOVE the mountains! The rooms, as always, are clean and you feel like you are home away from home. The staff are amazing also. They treat you like friends or family, not a stranger. They always remember us - again you feel like you are home away from home. There are always cookies and coffee or apple cider for you in the office, also some nice conversation with Susan, Michael or Chris. You are literally 3 min away from the Fall River Entrance to RMNP, which is great because you avoid going through downtown Estes Park which can be crowded. McGregor gives us the peace and serenity from nature that we so need in our lives. We very much missed Daisy this year. She was such an amazing dog and is so missed by us. It was a little sad not having her wake us up in the morning this year. We did enjoy the company of Alex and Tanner! You can't go wrong staying here at McGregor. We will be back again and again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 June 2012

This place has great staff, awesome views, and is very close to one of the entrances to the park. Basically a full kitchen (miniature appliances) and a place outside to grill. We went on a 3 week road trip and they had the best bed of anywhere we stayed.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My wife and I visit Estes park often. Always trying out different hotels and lodges for our birthdays, anniversary, etc. This weekend was her birthday and she mentioned wanting to try out the McGregor Mountain lodge. They were very accomodating with our last minute reservation. we got the off peak rates which are good.
We woke up this morning to a wonderful view and wildlife right out our window. At one point there were two elk 3 feet from our window, a woodpecker, several chipmunks, squirrels and lots of different birds. As my wife loves taking wildlife pictures, this made it very easy.
They have wood burning fire places that they give you a free bundle to burn a day which really allowed me to set her a romantic birthday mood. Especially when it started snowing:)
Some of my favorite spots in Estes have been on the river or lakes but the McGregor will now make that list for my favorite off water location.

Room Tip: They do have a few rooms that are pet friendly which makes it easy for us as we occasionally travel...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gilstrap_robert
Reviewed 4 April 2012

McGregor Mountain Lodge was by far our favorite place to stay on our 35 day National Parks road trip. When you have an elk greet you by sucking your cabin's hummingbird feeder dry right after you arrive, that's pretty cool! We really enjoyed being so close to RMNP - it was just a few short miles to the east entrance. The cabin was a home-away-from-home (we never ate out while in Estes Park because we had everything we needed in the kitchen, and a Safeway was just a few miles away). The staff was always friendly and helpful, and the grounds were always immaculate. We will definitely stay at McGregor Mountain Lodge the next time we're in Estes Park!

Room Tip: We booked in September 2010 for a June 2011 trip and got the 2010 rates.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I thought I had found a new, favorite place to stay in Estes Park. My cabin was clean, lots of windows, mountain views, and birds to watch. The interior of the cabin was very light and had a happy feel to it. The furnishings are down to earth and the chairs were comfortable. Small kitchen in cabin. The location was quiet and private. The Lodge is within walking distance to the Fall River Entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. At night the property is lit with tiny lights giving the grounds an enchanted atmosphere.
The owner was quite nice and owns three friendly dogs who romp about. The Innkeeper was also very accommodating.
The problems came when I was ready for bed. Looked forward to a warm bath in the jetted tub. The jets did not work properly and sent showers of water into the air. Turned off the jets! The big issue was with the bed. One of the most uncomfortable mattresses I have ever experienced. No support at all, in fact my legs and feet sloped downward. Tossed and turned for hours.
If there had been a comfortable bed in the cabin, I would give this Lodge 4 stars. Not being able to sleep on a vacation because of a bad bed is a big deal to me. Unfortunately, I will not return to McGregor for this reason.
As noted in some other reviews, housekeeping is not included in regular price and you must arrange for it separately. I also heard different stories about their pet policy so if you want to bring a dog, be sure you are clear on the pet policy.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin with lots of windows!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jacaranda83
Reviewed 18 January 2012

McGregor is my favorite place to stay in Estes Park during the winter. My wife and I stay in one of the cottages and enjoy the fireplace, kitchenette and HDTV (movies are available to rent in the office). There's also a hot tub on the property that you can reserve. We make trips into town for food and entertainment and go snowshoeing in RMNP. Every time we go up, Susan helps us. She's the nicest person and a big part of why we keep coming back. It's in a great location and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family and I HIGHLY recommend McGregor! Extremely clean! Great staff-very friendly! High wildlife! Great views! What's not to like???!!!
My son and I visited in October, found McGregor by accident and we loved it. We stayed in cabin #14 Ponderosa Lodge. It has two bedrooms and is very spacious. My family and I have stayed in several places around Estes Park and all over the world and we were so impressed that my husband and I came back on December 16th and were scheduled to check out on the 23rd but we liked it so much we stayed until the 26th. We stayed in Cabin #1 (The old caretakers cottage) and were concerned about being so close to the road for two reasons, one because of the noise, and two because we thought the wildlife wouldn't come come around because of the traffic noise. We were pleasantly surprised to find that neither were a concern. Very peaceful and high wildlife. It is a very large cabin with a kitchen. The beds on both stays were extremely comfortable. We won't be staying anywhere else but McGregor when we go back to Estes Park for our yearly Christmas visit. Thanks to Chris, Michael, Susan, Steve, and the rest of the staff, our vacation was perfect. If we had questions or inquired about activities they were very helpful. When I inquired about sleigh rides they called around for me to try and find out for me. They were also very knowledgeable about where the best places to find certain wildlife in and around RMNP.
It snowed about 10 inches while we were there and the staff kept the snow and ice cleared from the property. They also kept hot spiced cider, hot cocoa, coffee, and cookies in the office. A bundle of wood and fresh towels were delivered everyday and the trash was taken out. Room service is available for 15% more but as we have found out from staying in other places in Estes Park, that is the norm in this area. There is a hot tub building on the property that you schedule time exclusively for you and yours and there's no extra charge for this. It was nice to sit in the hot tub and watch it snow and the views from there are great. The Christmas decorations were gorgeous!
And did I mention WILDLIFE? :) We were greeted everyday by several bull elk. We also saw deer, fox, squirrels, and a big variety of birds either looking in our window or right outside our window. We also saw bighorn sheep about 1/4 of a mile from our cabin. The sheep are sometimes on the property but weren't while we were there. Great photo ops!
And the not so wild-the welcome committee of resident dogs was great! Tanner is a very friendly Burmese Mountain Dog and Alex is a Lab/Boxer mix. Both are very friendly, extremely well behaved, and fun to watch but not intrusive and don't bother or scare the wildlife! The wildlife don't seem to notice they are are around.
I very honestly could not find one thing negative about this property! I have recommended it to my friends. I have never written a review of any place I have stayed but felt this place warranted bragging on! If you haven't been there...GO!!! :)

Room Tip: For a small family #1 The Old Caretakers Cottage is great! For a larger family or two families gett...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family