“Avoid this park” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spruce Lake RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Spruce Lake RV Park
“Avoid this park”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

AVOID THIS PARK. Wish I could give it no stars at all. Very unethical park, the same guy owns elk meadows too so I'm sure it is the same. False advertising on a lot at this park. First, There is NO HOT TUB! it's cold. The owner said he can't afford to heat it above 95. My husband and I tried to get it and it was at 87. That is just cold. When I reserved I specifically asked about the hot tub and was told it was up and running, they just didn't say for what hours and what temp they keep it at.

When we tried to leave they said they are keep the money for the entire trip we reserved because they could have otherwise rented our site. There are only 10 other paying customers here! That makes no sense, it is an unethical practice that I have never seen at any other park. Now I get to spend my vacation disputing a claim with my credit card. The sites are small and muddy, weeds, not grass and no trees on 95% of the sites.

They had us crammed into a tiny little spot that we shad with electrical boxes and a telephone pole even when the park was mostly empty. Trying to move to another spot took quite an effort. The staff is friendly enough they seemed to genuinely feel bad, but they couldn't help.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Kristin W
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
When you approached us about leaving early you said that you wanted to do other traveling. The confirmation you received when you made your reservation clearly stated no refunds for early departures. It did not stipulate only if we were full. This sounds like sour grapes just because you decided to change your plans.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bethany, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I made reservations with Spruce Lake RV Park on Monday, April 14th, 2014 over the phone. The reservation was for May 23rd thru May 28th, 2014, we were required to pay a $250 deposit. That evening I received an email from Spruce Lake confirming our reservation and also in the email it stated that our deposit was non-refundable, the Manager did not tell me that when he took my debit card number. On April 17th, we decided to cancel our reservation, and were told that we would not receive any of our deposit back.I fully expected to pay a cancellation fee, but not to lose $250. The only offer that the Manager made was to let us re-schedule later in the summer, we live 750 miles from Spruce Lake so it was not an option.
I asked to speak to the owner of the campground but he was "unavailable", I had to call multiple times before he would call me back. When he finally did, he was rude, obnoxious and loud (same result the second time I talked to him). He told me that he had already spent to much time on this issue and thought he deserved the money for time he had spent returning 2 phone calls. To make a long story short, he is not refunding any of our $250......

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank sarahmo2014
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I am sorry that you did not get your refund the day of the flood. Our office was destroyed and we did not have any spruce Lake computers running. I sent out six e-mails in the six months we were closed. The first advised everyone what happened and the second asked what you wanted done with your reservations, refund, or move it to 2014. If you did not get a refund you did not respond to the emails nor did you call me at anytime. I made over 450 refunds so I cannot tell you exactly what happened in you case. Sorry.

Travellers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Thornton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I would like to commend Spruce Lake Rv resort for the comments that Jim has responded to. We live in Thornton and travel to Estes several times a year and only stay at Spruce Lake. The park is always accommodating and staff is exceptional. We had reservations during the flood and Jim contacted us to let us know our deposit is transferable this year. That type of customer service is hard to find and the people who complain about the Rv park should stay
elsewhere.

Stayed July 2013
Bixby, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at Spruce Lake the first week of June 2013. The staff was very courteous and friendly. The fishing was excellent and the pond was well stocked! Our girls, ages 3 and 6 LOVED Spruce Lake! Waking up to Elk walking through the campground made every penny worth it! The night we arrived there was an ice cream social! Fun! We can't say enough GREAT things! We will definitely be back this Summer!!

Room Tip: Space 19 and Space 87 are the spots if you want to be close to the Big Thompson. Very easy to get bi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
      Rooms
Bedford, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at this RV park last year and had a good experience. This year I can't say the same. On 9/11/13, we were already in Estes Park staying at another rv park, when we drove over to Spruce Lake to make reservations for the following week. We paid our 1/2 deposit of $197.70 and was never told that it was unrefundable. That night the rains came and the roads in and out of Estes Park were partial destroyed. Early morning of 9/12/13, Spruce Lake customers were evatuated over to Elk Meadows RV which is owed by same group. The following morning we drove past Spruce Lake which was flooded, and were told to go over to Elk Meadows to talk to management about the problem that Spruce Lake would not be back open for the season. Once at Elk Meadows, management would NOT REFUND our deposit. It was not our fault we could not stay at the park since Park Rangers were telling people to leave the area and the park was closed except for people driving over Trail Ridge to get out of the area.
How could management take advantage of senior citizens like that? We were told they would extend our trip deposit thru 2014 but we already had plans to travel east next year for a family reunion. All we wanted was our deposit refunded we paid in good faith. Is that too much to ask?
We sent a letter to management last month but no response yet....

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Karen M
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
The day of the flood was very very busy. You are correct, the day of the flood we did not issue refunds because our office and everything in it was under water. Elk Meadow does not have access to Spruce Lake computers. Now, I don't know your name but, I made refunds over the winter to everyone involved. I think you should update this review.
Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have been going here for a few years and its lost its family charm. They used to have an activities room that looked over the pond, that's closed now, apparently you only have to rent it to use it(for larger groups). The mini golf place is really run down, the wood is cracked and there were weeds growing on the really rough course. They now charge a dollar for the golf balls, which are all the same white color now, hard for the kids to keep track of whose ball is whose. There used to be chairs/benches around the fire pit, they're gone too. The heated pool is freezing and kids aren't allowed in the hot tub. The games that my kids loved to play are really run down, like the ladder ball (1/2 the balls missing) and the bean bag toss bags are pretty worn and pretty dirty.

We never looked at other places, just came here, next year we will look around. Too bad a few dollars and a few smiles and this place would be great again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank ReefClubMember
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
I am sorry if your visit did not live up to what you expected. We do close the swimming pool after labor day, it is a seasonal opening. The hot tub is for adults only, you are correct. We feel that the grown ups need a place of their own. As far as the free park games, yes they do get abused by the kids during the year, bean bags get lost balls get thrown into the tress. that is something we live with, the option is not to supply the anymore. By the end of the season they can get pretty worn. I agree with you about the arcade games, we have already spoke with the tenant about this. The activity center is still here. We use it for ice cream socials, bingo, pancake breakfasts and our entertainment. If groups wish to use it we do charge to cover cleaning, electric and heat. We do lock it when it is not in use. Hope you give us another chance.
Denver, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Nice 3 night stay here. Convenient to Rocky Mountain National Park entrance. Only complaint is that the trash/garbage bin in front of our RV (at the bathhouse) had not been emptied for a very very long time and STANK. Every time someone opened it they had to force their trash into it, because it was so full, and we got a fresh awful stink smell.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple