“Still Good 17 years later”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Spruce Lake RV Park
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at this park in 1997 (different name) and again in May 2014.

Park is well maintained with clean bath houses.

The staff was friendly and very helpful.

We would stay here again, hopefully not 17 years later.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were worried after reading reviews but, couldn't be happier! We stayed in the large cabin. We were very impressed by cleanliness and space! We did not need to bring a thing! Everything worked perfectly. The pool and hottub were very clean and very well maintained. Very close to town and park. Saw elk every day! Staff was VERY friendly and VERY helpful. Everyone was so nice! We could walk to the market, minigolf, giftshop and restaurants. We loved every minute and do did our two young girls. They thought of everything!! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 30 May 2014

AVOID THIS PARK. Wish I could give it no stars at all. Very unethical park, the same guy owns elk meadows too so I'm sure it is the same. False advertising on a lot at this park. First, There is NO HOT TUB! it's cold. The owner said he can't afford to heat it above 95. My husband and I tried to get it and it was at 87. That is just cold. When I reserved I specifically asked about the hot tub and was told it was up and running, they just didn't say for what hours and what temp they keep it at.

When we tried to leave they said they are keep the money for the entire trip we reserved because they could have otherwise rented our site. There are only 10 other paying customers here! That makes no sense, it is an unethical practice that I have never seen at any other park. Now I get to spend my vacation disputing a claim with my credit card. The sites are small and muddy, weeds, not grass and no trees on 95% of the sites.

They had us crammed into a tiny little spot that we shad with electrical boxes and a telephone pole even when the park was mostly empty. Trying to move to another spot took quite an effort. The staff is friendly enough they seemed to genuinely feel bad, but they couldn't help.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Kristin W
Jim B, Manager at Spruce Lake RV Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

When you approached us about leaving early you said that you wanted to do other traveling. The confirmation you received when you made your reservation clearly stated no refunds for early departures. It did not stipulate only if we were full. This sounds like sour grapes just because you decided to change your plans.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I made reservations with Spruce Lake RV Park on Monday, April 14th, 2014 over the phone. The reservation was for May 23rd thru May 28th, 2014, we were required to pay a $250 deposit. That evening I received an email from Spruce Lake confirming our reservation and also in the email it stated that our deposit was non-refundable, the Manager did not tell me that when he took my debit card number. On April 17th, we decided to cancel our reservation, and were told that we would not receive any of our deposit back.I fully expected to pay a cancellation fee, but not to lose $250. The only offer that the Manager made was to let us re-schedule later in the summer, we live 750 miles from Spruce Lake so it was not an option.
I asked to speak to the owner of the campground but he was "unavailable", I had to call multiple times before he would call me back. When he finally did, he was rude, obnoxious and loud (same result the second time I talked to him). He told me that he had already spent to much time on this issue and thought he deserved the money for time he had spent returning 2 phone calls. To make a long story short, he is not refunding any of our $250......

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank sarahmo2014

I am sorry that you did not get your refund the day of the flood. Our office was destroyed and we did not have any spruce Lake computers running. I sent out six e-mails in the six months we were closed. The first advised everyone what happened and the second asked what you wanted done with your reservations, refund, or move it to 2014. If you did not get a refund you did not respond to the emails nor did you call me at anytime. I made over 450 refunds so I cannot tell you exactly what happened in you case. Sorry.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I would like to commend Spruce Lake Rv resort for the comments that Jim has responded to. We live in Thornton and travel to Estes several times a year and only stay at Spruce Lake. The park is always accommodating and staff is exceptional. We had reservations during the flood and Jim contacted us to let us know our deposit is transferable this year. That type of customer service is hard to find and the people who complain about the Rv park should stay
elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at Spruce Lake the first week of June 2013. The staff was very courteous and friendly. The fishing was excellent and the pond was well stocked! Our girls, ages 3 and 6 LOVED Spruce Lake! Waking up to Elk walking through the campground made every penny worth it! The night we arrived there was an ice cream social! Fun! We can't say enough GREAT things! We will definitely be back this Summer!!

Room Tip: Space 19 and Space 87 are the spots if you want to be close to the Big Thompson. Very easy to get bi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at this RV park last year and had a good experience. This year I can't say the same. On 9/11/13, we were already in Estes Park staying at another rv park, when we drove over to Spruce Lake to make reservations for the following week. We paid our 1/2 deposit of $197.70 and was never told that it was unrefundable. That night the rains came and the roads in and out of Estes Park were partial destroyed. Early morning of 9/12/13, Spruce Lake customers were evatuated over to Elk Meadows RV which is owed by same group. The following morning we drove past Spruce Lake which was flooded, and were told to go over to Elk Meadows to talk to management about the problem that Spruce Lake would not be back open for the season. Once at Elk Meadows, management would NOT REFUND our deposit. It was not our fault we could not stay at the park since Park Rangers were telling people to leave the area and the park was closed except for people driving over Trail Ridge to get out of the area.
How could management take advantage of senior citizens like that? We were told they would extend our trip deposit thru 2014 but we already had plans to travel east next year for a family reunion. All we wanted was our deposit refunded we paid in good faith. Is that too much to ask?
We sent a letter to management last month but no response yet....

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Karen M

The day of the flood was very very busy. You are correct, the day of the flood we did not issue refunds because our office and everything in it was under water. Elk Meadow does not have access to Spruce Lake computers. Now, I don't know your name but, I made refunds over the winter to everyone involved. I think you should update this review.