“Fantastic for Family!”
Review of Silver Moon Inn

Silver Moon Inn
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Perfect Place for our family reunion! 21 of us stayed at the inn. (ages 2.5 to 88)
We were so happy with the location. Close to RMNP, walking distance to the adorable downtown.
The rooms were comfortable and had everything we could need. The fire pits on the property were a wonderful place to hang out with family at night and enjoy the clear air (and make s'mores). There were grills available on the property as well, so we were further enjoy the inn. They had a pool and playground for the kids. Really, it is an ideal spot. But the best by far was the service. They have an amazing, energetic staff. The folks who work here really make it special. They were always smiling, always helping. Really a wonderful, memorable place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground level will be the nosiest as they are closer to the fire pits

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great Location! ...located at the beginning of the main shopping street (Elkhorn Ave) of Estes Park and on the way towards the Fall River Entrance of RMNP. Many seats to relax by the stream in front of the hotel. Basic continental breakfast starting at 7am. Great staff. Room was perfect for 2 adults and our 2 teenage sons (1 King/1 Queen). No elevator, but we were on 3rd floor and had no problems. Didn't have time to use their pool or hot tub, but looked nice/pretty backdrop of the rock hillside. Newer bathroom, but was small in our room. It was nice to have a sink in bedroom area. Three windows/lots of nice daylight. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

What can I say? I am always hesitant to write reviews because everyone has different tastes and expectations. Before I proceed, I have to say that I am not al ALL picky. On our annual road trips, we are on the move so often that our motel stays are typically one-nighters. ANYWAY - my family and I just LOVED the Silver Moon Inn. It is right beside a stream/river and within walking distance to everything!

The service was fantastic. The room was a bit small but thoroughly clean. We were traveling during the peak of "traveling season" so there were many, many people in the area and it got a bit noisy at night when we were trying to rest our weary heads - but it wasn't terribly unmanagable.

This was one time when I wished I could have made our one night stay a two or three night stay.

Room Tip: Select a room with a river view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Silver Moon Inn provided a perfect place to stay for a recent hiking trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. We liked being able to walk to shops and restaurants in Estes Park, and the drive into the Park for hikes was very quick and easy. And what better way to spend a late afternoon following a hike than sitting by the creek/river with a good book. We also enjoyed the breakfast -- nothing fancy but it offered all we needed to start our day. I really liked the fact that they did NOT try to provide hot entrees. The juices, yogurts, cereals, breads and toaster, hard boiled eggs etc. hit the spot.

The only negative was the noise from the room upstairs. It seemed that the guest above needed to walk a mile regularly, day and night, in the room. However, this is a minor drawback to all the positives about the Silver Moon Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

What a great hotel. Me and my family traveled from Arkansas last week to Estes Park, Co for a little family vacation. The silver moon inn was a perfect fit for us, great location (within walking distance from most things) I must say Colleen at the front desk was extremely helpful. She was so patient with us while she went over our room options, She gave us a room that was perfect. Right by the river, the kids loved it. What an exceptional employee. I know next time my family and I travel to Estes Park, we WILL be staying at the Silver Moon Inn!

Room Tip: Get a room by the river! Beautiful
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We drove by this property in June of 2013 on our way up to RMNP and were intrigued by the look of the property, as well as the outside amenities the property offered. After my in-laws stayed there in August of 2013, my wife and I decided to take the kids up to give it a shot. Before making our final decision, our desire was to find a location that was near downtown and as close to the tourist areas without actually being right in the middle of it. We were interested in dining in restaurants that were within walking distance of the hotel and to also enjoy a little entertainment and leisure without having to drive too much around town.

After searching several properties, we ended up deciding that the Silver Moon would be a great place to stay.

My career requires that I travel every couple weeks, which means I'm staying in corporate hotels around 60 days a year. This was only the second time in 11 years that I stayed in a non-corporate hotel; so I had to remind myself that expectations for such an establishment would be different than what I'm accustomed to during a normal workweek.

To summarize, we will definitely be returning to this establishment June of 2014, and we will be staying a few more days than what we did this time around.

In our situation, we traveled with a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old. So we were looking for opportunities that would help entertain the kids. For those with family, this location has a small playground out in front that includes a rope ladder, slide, 2 tire swings and monkey bars. Do be cautious that the playground is right next to the river, so younger kids may not want to play unsupervised.

When arriving at the property, you will also see that several chairs, a gazebo, a few fire pits and some larger swings are all located along the bank of the river, which are incredibly relaxing to sit on. Several establishments will have this accommodation, but I don't believe it exists this close to town.

One breakaway feature that the Silver Moon offers that I don't believe many other establishments do is the fireside s'mores roast, provided complimentary by the hotel staff. They are great in providing wood, getting the fire started, and also providing the crackers, marshmallows and Hershey's chocolate to make your own s'mores right there next to the river. The moment defines what relaxation is to me. The dry air, the campfire, the river, the s'mores combine to make for relaxing, memorable moments.

The hotel staff served above and beyond what I'm acclimated to in my business travels. They were very welcoming at check-in and provided information throughout our entire stay, including personal recommendations and feedback on places to dine and visit by fellow guests. Our stay included an incident that involved an internet outage that affected several businesses on that side of town, which led to a delay in our ability to check in to our room. But the owners were there, handling the situation with the staff and checked up on us frequently to make sure were were comfortable while waiting for the situation to resolve. And not long after the outage occurred, we were taken to our room, which was an absolute treat.

When it comes to room expectations, I'm aware that there are varying aspects which guests look for in their stay. And given that this hotel has quite a variety of room types, we ended up staying in a king room with fireplace and patio, right along the river. For us, this was absolute bliss. The room was spacious enough for the kids to play in, and it also was spacious enough for 2 pack-n-plays. The room included a small walk-in closet, a fridge and microwave, a spacious bathroom, felt-like-new carpet and linens that also felt like they were pretty new. It came with a 36" flat-screen TV (I didn't see any or many HD channels on it, but TV wasn't necessarily part of our interests). The provided toiletries include travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, hand soap and bath soap (O2, Oxygen brand). The decor was very rustic and welcoming. It seemed the whole room was tied together in terms of design and that concepts were not just piece-mailed together. Finally, the room does have a nice sliding window above the AC unit that opens up a few feet, which provides for a great intake of that mountain-fresh air and natural white noise of the river flowing no more than 20 feet from the edge of the bed.. It gave us absolutely satisfactory sleeping conditions, which made crawling out of bed in the morning quite difficult.

The pool is a seasonal one. It's considered heated, but even at the end of summer, was still chilly as I'm assuming the heater cannot keep up with the cooling from the overnight temperatures. It does include two above-ground jacuzzis that each fit 4 people.

Breakfast is pretty standard, although they do not really offer any hot breakfast items, such as scrambled eggs, sausage or otameal. They do offer your standard breakfast beverages - milk, varying flavors of branded canned juices, and coffee. They also offer mini-bagels, packaged donuts and packaged pastries, hard-boiled eggs, apples and oranges and Pop Tarts. For many patrons, that is quite adequate. They have a handful of tables in the check-in lodge, but the bonus comes in the fact that they have tables on the patio, on the street level in front of the check-in lodge and also a few picnic tables along the riverside for you to dine on. To us, this was exceptional as, once again, they were able to capitalize on the views of the mountains and the sound of the river to accentuate the breakfast experience.

The hotel is located a little uphill from the downtown area. We were easily able to push our stroller back and forth and arrive to the edge of downtown just about 3 or 4 minutes from the hotel's parking lot. If you want a more robust breakfast offering, there is a breakfast cafe just across the parking lot. The property is also next to one of the free trolley stops, so you can commute around town easily.

Finally, the opportunity of dwelling on the same grounds as various wild animals tops off this experience. In one example, we saw 3 elk walk across the pedestrian bridge on the edge of the hotel property, which was about 20 feet from where we were standing, and graze on some of the property's trees before moving along to the amphitheater just west of the property.

My parting advice would be to ask yourself how much you value the experience of the room itself when booking. The owner was great in recommending the room for us after we described our interests to her. I did read a review on here where someone was critical of their room due to its size, but it was a room that was intended to be nothing more than a bed and bathroom for those who plan on being away the entire day. So be sure to call them up and tell them what you are interested in and they'll likely put you in the most optimal place.

As I said at the beginning, I look forward to patronizing the Silver Moon Inn again next year. Thank you, staff, for making this experience one that we will remember for years to come!

4  Thank Steelpanz
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We just returned from traveling throughout Colorado and spent three nights at the Silver Moon Inn. It is a great spot for families, with the Big Thompson River right there, lots of rocks to climb on, fire pits to make s'mores and a swing set. The pool was small, but nice to relax in after a day of hiking, as were the two hot tubs. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Beds were quite comfortable, as well. The hotel's location made it quite easy to walk to restaurants and shopping in Estes Park, yet you still felt a bit removed from the town. Our room (106) was on the ground floor, right near all the chairs and fire pits next to the river. It was a bit noisy at night -- this would be my only complaint -- but we could have booked a different room. We loved waking up to see elk in the parking lot, too!