I almost didn't share this review because I plan to go back and I don't want competition for reservations! First off, the river on this property is as beautiful as anything you'll see in the park. We spent most of our time just sitting on the banks reading in the heavenly adirondack chairs. During that time we saw countless people stop each day to get brochures, or take pictures.
We saw many creatures on the property. Marmots, four elk, a bunny, a fox running down the road, spectacular birds, and some very cheeky chipmunks. The river sounds drown out the road noise when you sit on the banks. We felt transported while sitting there.
The condo has everything you could need. Just bring lotion, a shower cap and some ziplock baggies and you are set! We stayed in the two-bedroom on the ground floor. True, you can hear the people above. But the bottom condo is cooler, has better access to the river, and has a mostly covered patio, which is nice since it rains a little each day.
Despite being in the forest, I only saw two bugs the whole week we were there. This is a very clean property.
Megan, Jesse and Ron in the office will take care of your every need. All you need to do is ask.
Some cons...there is road noise if you are sensitive to that and like to sleep with the windows open. No a/c, but we truly didn't miss it. It's twenty degrees cooler up in the mountains. Not a lot of parking spaces near the ground floor... But the office will work with you and put up a sign to reserve one of those three spaces for your unit, if you have trouble getting around. The appliances are a bit dated, but work well.
On a side note... There is a house on the property with three bedrooms, two baths and its own little patch of river if you want more room and quiet.
The entrance to the property is a little hard to see. Just look for the Ponderosa sign on the left. The Woodlands is just around the bend on the left from there.
Safeway is very busy in the evenings. Try to do your shopping during the day.
Make sure you eat at Dunraven Inn on Co Rd 66. The steak and lobster were delish. The panna cotta is homemade! And try the bread and Brie at Twin Owls restaurant. (The Brie is sweet and would be best as a dessert) Go early to both!... 5pm if you don't make a reservation. The town shuts down around 8pm.
Use '34 bus.' to bypass downtown and come up from the other side. Better parking and you don't have to sit and wait in all the traffic at the stop lights in the tiny downtown. Plus that is where we saw two more elk.
What could be more decadent than sitting outdoors with a jacket on, in the middle of summer? I am truly in mourning, wishing I was sitting by the river again...having a chipmunk ask for a snack. It is a magical experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a dramatic, mountain riverside setting, The Woodlands offers one and two bedroom suites overlooking the Fall River. Beautiful landscaping, trees over 300 years old and Castle Mountain views all combine to provide the perfect location for your vacation or getaway in Estes Park. Just just two miles from the Fall River entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. You have easy access to over 350 miles of hiking trails, bountiful wildlife and scenic drives unique to this great national treasure. The Woodlands is convenient to Estes Park shopping, dining and its variety of year-round activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your The Woodlands on Fall River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Woodlands On Fall River Hotel Estes Park
- The Woodlands On Fall River Estes Park, CO