“Better than some of the reviews.”

Sweet Basilico Cafe
Ranked #29 of 136 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This is the third summer that we have visited Estes Park and had a meal at Sweet Basilico. We have always enjoyed their food, so were surprised to read some of the reviews that we read before this years trip. We ate there several times this trip and had the same great service, great food and fair prices that we have experienced in the past. The wait may be long, if you have no reservations, but that is an indication of the popularity of this place. We opted for take-out one night when we would have had a long wait and the food was delicious in our cabin.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

It was highly recommended for it's taste, quality -- but even better, it's VALUE! WOW -- they make everything there in front of you (you can watch if you want). I was there during their lunch rush and the most anyone had to wait was 10 minutes. I worked at my favorite Italian restaurant for over 4 years...and Sweet Basilico is now my new favorite :) The average lunch is $8 and the average dinner is $13 -- but the portions are beyond healthy and the taste is phenomenal. While waiting, I spoke to someone not to be discourage about the 5-10 minute wait -- she said not to worry, visity the Sweet Basilico was one of the only reasons they drive up to Estes Park. Not to discredit anything in Estes Park, but I can now see why they felt that way. MMMMMm good. I'm going back NEXT weekend just because I CAN! :)

Reviewed 6 August 2010

Yes - you read that right. I went with my grown daughter and it was absolutely horrible. We would have left, but we were so hungry from hiking all day, that we ate the "food".
Especially after our 10 minute wait .. that turned into 40 minutes.
I ordered the cannelloni and my daughter ordered the Tortelleni Alla Pana. Oh dear God..mine was hands down the worst meal I've ever had in my 53 years of living. It looked like ketchup with dog food on top of a microwaved frozen Stouffers meal.
The meat inside the pasta was ice cold in the middle. Since we never saw our waitress, after she rudely told us only one roll each, I couldn't send it back. I tried to mix the frozen section with the VERY hot edges to maybe come up with something edible since I was starving. Bad mistake. I finally gave up after eating 1/4 of it. It was absolutely disgusting. My daughters Tortelleni was at least warm so we shared that.
We DID have a river rafting trip planned for the next day. A night on the toilet ruined that for us. Not just one night on the toilet...but the entire next day as well. As soon as we thought it was safe to come out of the bathroom...we'd have to run back in. This went on for 24 hours. Can we say food poisoning? This restaurant needs a visit by the health department. Actually, I think I'll place a call now while I'm reliving this nightmare... STAY AWAY!

3  Thank redheadgirll
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We went for a large meatball/mushroom/double cheese pizza & had plenty leftover for another meal. The pizza was good (maybe a little overly doughy) & next time I would ask for double meat instead of double cheese. I don't understand all the comments about bad service. Our waitress was helpful, friendly & attentive. The place was very crowded with a wait list even tho we went early. I do think they take reservations.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

Ran short on time after our aerial tram ride...we were meeting friends at 1 so we stopped in Sweet Basilico for lunch at 11:30 on a Thursday. Place was recommended by one of the aerial tram operators.

We were seated quickly and our drink order were taken promptly. Place looked clean, adequate wait staff, and probably people sitting at 4 or 5 other tables/booths. I ordered the chicken tetrazzini ($9.99) while my husband ordered a small pepperoni/sausage pizza ($12.99). My order arrived in about 15 minutes while my husband's pizza took about 20. My food was adequate; nothing great, nothing terrible. My husband's pizza was good, crust became soggy due to the grease from the pepperoni and sausage. Service was fine, but like the rest, average. I had tea, husband had water, bill totaled $26.82.

We weren't in a hurry but finished with our meals within 45 minutes of being seated (we both had our leftovers boxed to take home). We left about 12:20 and the inside of the restaurant was only half full. Having so many choices in Estes Park - I would choose elsewhere for a meal.