“Liked the enchiladas” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grumpy Gringo - MOVED

Grumpy Gringo
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Dining options: Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Presenting freshly made unique American items and old favorite Mexican dishes in a casual and comfortable setting. We're located in the picturesque mountain setting of Estes Park, Colorado just next to Rocky Mountain National Park. Whether you're visiting Estes Park on vacation, or a long-time local, Grumpy Gringo is sure to please. With an extensive menu, including a great kid's menu, there's something for everybody in your party. We've been serving up the very best food for years here in Estes Park. We have added a great list of Colorado boutique beers this year to compliment our outstanding and popular Margaritas.
Marshall, Minnesota
“Liked the enchiladas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I am not a Mexican food aficionado, but I found Grumpy's enchiladas with the white sauce to be pretty good. Service was good, environment was nice and clean. I would go back again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank jeffswmn
Monte H, Manager at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for your nice comments. We look forward to serving you again. Monte

Windsor, Colorado
“Won't go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our visit was during the slow time. The waitress seemed almost afraid of us, as she came up to take our order; although I don't have a clue why. I asked about the difference between two different quesadilla's on the menu. One was cheese and jalapeno and the other had bacon, chicken, cheese, jalapeno's, sour cream, etc. I ordered the one with all of the toppings. My friend ordered a burrito that was supposed to have sour cream and guacamole. When the food finally came, my quesadilla was only light cheese and an excessive amount of jalapeno's and nothing else. My friend's burrito didn't have all of the stuff that he ordered. These were what was advertised on the menu, not additions that we made. I asked the waitress about my quesadilla and she took it away and when it came back, it had the bacon and chicken, but still none of the additional items. The manager finally stopped by but didn't address any of the issues. He only asked if "everything was great" and by this time, we just let it go, as we knew that things probably weren't going to change. In addition, the chips tasted like they had been purchased at the grocery store and were the very last bag of the worst possible chip that had been lost at the back of the shelf for a year. They were very heavy and old. The salsa tasted like canned tomatoes with a bunch of jalapeno's thrown into it. I normally judge a Mexican restaurant by the chips and salsa and after having these, I should have known not to order anything else. I came to this restaurant about 15 years ago and I really liked it, but things have certainly changed in the last 15 years. Maybe in another 15 years, they will be back to how I used to remember them.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Monte H, Owner at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I really don't know how to respond to these comments. I'm in the restaurant a lot and haven't seen or heard of so many complaints before. We will keep working on providing the best possible freshly made food and good service that we can. We will continue to serve only freshly in house prepared food including our chips. Our managers will continue to check with our customers to insure that their meals are satisfactory. If yours is not, please do tell our manager.
South Pole
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“White people Mexican food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Growing up in Minnesota we had what we called white peoples Mexican food, meaning the food would have been better if prepared by non northerners, or by trained cooks using recipes from Mexican cooking. It' the kind of Mexican food my mom made, but if you like authentic Mexican food, you might not like this.

The staff are super nice, the chile relleno is good, and they have a healthy chicken dish for dieters, but like I said it is not exactly like the food I have had in Mexico.

Visited March 2014
Monte H, Owner at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I would like to point out that Mexican food in Mexico varies very much from area to area, much like it does in the States. Recipes from one location in Mexico will taste and appear different from another location. For example Cajun food in Minnesota will taste and be different than in New Orleans. We adhear very closely to the recipes brought over from Mexico by Grandma Tafoya three generations ago.
Greeley, Colorado
“First time is our last time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Poor service. Food was barely warm. Never got the rice and beans on the side. Overpriced. The food had more of a BBQ flavor than Mexican. Our first time is definitely our last time!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Monte H, Owner at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Sorry the customer did not like our food. Many, many people do, and that's why we are still in business after seventeen years. Tastes do differ and we recognize that, but we will continue to serve the very best fresh made Mexican food that we can.
Colorado
“Good food, Great services!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere! The service was great. Very friendly quick service. The meal was good and the Fried Ice Cream was awesome!

Monte H, Owner at Grumpy Gringo, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you for your nice comments. Our goal is to have every customer feel the way you did about our restaurant.