“ok food, nice deck, close to RMNP”

Trailhead Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 136 Restaurants in Estes Park
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Trailhead Restaurant can be entered from the gift shop. At the Trailhead you may enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner and beverages, including regionally brewed and national brand beers, served from our Old West log bar. The experience of the Trailhead will be unforgettable as you dine surrounded by a panorama of towering mountains and the nearby seductive high peaks and forests of Rocky Mountain National Park.For those wanting a truly remarkable dining experience, try a meal on our expansive log and stone pillar open-air deck. From your table you will be treated to a magnificent view of mountains soaring above Fall River as it winds past forests, meadows and grazing wildlife. To the east you will see Fall River Valley bordered by mountains. To the west are majestic high peaks with a glimpse of Trail Ridge Road, leading to the Continental Divide and all that awaits you ahead in the Park, including the region’s highest mountain: Long’s Peak.While enjoying your meal or drink, have a park meal prepared, packed and ready-to-go when you are. Or, if a visit to our restaurant is not possible, you may simply want to take snacks, coffee, or other beverages and one of our packaged lunches with you. Don’t forget dessert!
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Burgers are pretty good. Deck is a nice place to relax and enjoy the evening. Relaxed atmosphere, so good for kids. Location is good if you are on the fall river side of RMNP park and need a meal. I would eat here again, but I wouldn't be overly excited about it.

1  Thank wander_307

Reviewed 27 August 2014

If you're staying in Estes Park, there are other better places to eat in town, although the view here is pretty wonderful, AND the menu includes the (probably unwilling) contributions of animals whose various parts don't normally show up on restaurant menus. For example, out of sheer curiosity, I HAD to order the Trailhead Mountain Man Burger, an amalgam of elk, venison, wild boar, antelope and buffalo. The $12.95 price had me expecting something a bit bigger, but maybe the extra cost compensates for the effort involved into mashing that many species together into the same small package. A bit dry, but that's typical of game burgers. Tasted pretty good, and the fries were very good.

The conclusion: an ok place, kind of overpriced, amazing view, friendly service (our server, Ramesh, was great). Definitely worth eating there if: (1) you forgot to eat before leaving town and are headed into a day in the park, (2) you just had a day in the park and you're too hungry to wait to get to town or (3) you're cranky, as I was, after having been dragged slowly and torturously through the enormous and tchatchki-intense gift shop next door.

2  Thank Mike Z
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped here to try the wild game skewers I've read so much about. I was not disappointed. They were delicious. We had a choice of sitting inside or outside. It was a beautiful day but I'm from texas and not used to any type of cold. So I chose inside. We still had great views of the mountains. The food is a bit pricey but I didn't mind cause the waitress was such a sweetie. They also serve elk and bison burgers. The restaurant connects to the gift shop so you can shop after you eat. A must in estes park.

1  Thank melandtim10
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We were hoping for a good meal with a great view... We got a nice server with a good view on the porch . We ordered the game stew, trout and fish and chips. Stew was so spicy we thought it was chilli...and not good chilli!!! Yuck!
Trout was good but veggies and rice were covered in the same spice as stew!!! Cook needs to tone it down please!

2  Thank Janet M
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We really hadn't expected such a nice experience when we decided to eat at this restaurant to avoid the crowds in downtown Estes Park. It was not crowded when we arrived for dinner, so we were seated immediately. We both ordered the trout which was very good. One reviewer mentioned that the vegetables must be frozen, and I imagine they are, but I'd love to know how they were prepared. We were served so much food that we couldn't finish our meals. So glad we chose this reasonably priced restaurant!

2  Thank Frances M