“Needs a lot of work..”

Rodeway Inn Estes Park
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
“Needs a lot of work..”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My family and I checked in march 30th for one night. When I first walked in I was impressed by the lobby, nice and inviting. The lady who checked us in around 4:30 in the afternoon was not very friendly with a hum drum attitude.
Once we got to our room my opinion of the place went down from there. The room is old and needs a lot of maintenance. I knew that the hotel was on the cheaper side when we booked so I wasn't looking for a five star room. I was however expecting a clean room. After we got settled I went to make some coffee and noticed that it still had the used coffee filter from the previous guest and the carafe was stained at the bottom from the coffee; the cups were covered in water and what looked like soap ( I believe that they were used styrofoam cups rinsed by housekeeping, YUK!!)
We tried to go swimming but the atmosphere in the pool room was so cold that my kids were shivering within minutes. The Jacuzzi was not useable as it had not been taking care of. There was dirt at the bottom, the filter was rusted and the sides looked like they hadn't been clean for a while; my husband being a maintenance man at the hotel we work in said it should have been shut down the way it looked. had he had his water tester he would had know how off the chemicals were.
None of us slept well do to the heater in the room was very noisy and would run till the room was way to hot and then turn off till it was way to cold.
When we went down to the laundry game room to dry our suits the lady kicked us out at ten; but the party that was going on allowed they kids to run around the hotel till well after midnight. I felt that the lady at the front desk could have let us finish our drying.
The breakfast in the morning was a simple continental breakfast; when we called to ask if they had a hot breakfast they said they did but as it turns out there hot item was waffles. My kids enjoyed it ok but the rest of us were very disappointed that there wasn't any protein other that the boiled eggs. There display for the breakfast is 20 years out of date; which is sad cause they have a huge kitchen that could be used for so much.
It is sad cause this hotel has a lot of potential, all it needs is people who care about it to own and run it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gemini_kayla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our room was clean, but the furnishings are outdated. For the quality you expect from a Rodeway, it was ok. If you are staying several days in Estes Park and money is a prime consideration, this hotel is reasonable compared to other options. The breakfast is ok for a free breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Seward, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went to Estes over Labor Day weekend. Town was super busy and this was the only hotel with vacancy left the week before to make reservations. Very dated property. No very clean. Breakfast was a carb fest. We had a door that used to lead outside to an entrance, fortunately it was blocked off that no one could get to it on an upper floor. It would not latch. We stayed 2 nights, coffee pot was never rinsed or additional coffee put int room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Old dumpy. Checked in through Expedia. Rate was 120. Got checked in bill was 175.

Complained and boy the 120 rate.

Would rather spend twice the rate for a boutique hotel

No hot water. Lots of issues

Won't be back

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Carina S
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Don't go to this motel in Estes Park! It is totally run down, they haven't done any renovation for at least 20 years and even basic things don't work (doors do not close properly). Moreover it's not very clean and it smells musty everywhere. The sauna is a ruin, you feel uncomfortable. Some rooms have a balcony and the beds are ok.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lilli F
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2013

For the price in Estes Park, we received about what I expected. The hotel is in need of renovation. Our room was OK. It was relatively clean. The bed was good. The fridge and coffee maker were fine. The bathroom needs an overhaul. The breakfast was good but the selection is very limited. No meat, or anything fancy. We bought some yogurt at Safeway to supplement.

Room Tip: Given the current state of this hotel I would definitetly recommend checking out the room before one...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
hebron
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this hotel for two nights based on write up on the web site. we arrived and over all look of the exterior was OH BOY lets go. We checked in and found the hall dark smelley and floor stained. Our room was worse, it smells so bad. The bathroom had toliet seat cover cracked and nasty along with all counters. The fridge freezes. I talked to the staff about the smell. They said it was because it was not used for a while. HELLLO! why in the hell did they not check it. As for the smell I was given a can of air febreze. They said they try find another room but I just do not believe another room would be better. As for the indoor pool. There are just a few lights in there and can not see a thing. I would leave if I could find another hotel. Please spend few extra bucks and not stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul D
RodewayInnManager, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Estes Park, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
I'm very sorry you felt this way about our motel. Although we are an older property, I have to say that I don't agree with your "smelly" description. I went into the room the next day and so did two other employees and none of us smelled anything in the room. We did give you a full refund for your stay and also understand that you were asking for a free night for the next night from Choice Hotels. You were given a refund so you had an extra night in your budget and yet you wanted another free night? Truly I believe that the preconceived expectations of a guest are the measure that they go by but our housekeeping staff is very proud of their efforts and so is the management. Rodeway Inn is an economy brand and as such does not have many luxury upgrades but a clean, comfortable room is what we have here. Thank you.