“Perfectly convenient and quiet location for exploring Rocky Mountain National Park”
Review of Deer Crest Resort

Deer Crest Resort
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I was looking for a quiet and reasonably priced place to stay while hiking through Rocky Mountain National Park during the day and writing on my laptop at night. I found that place in Deer Crest Resort. I just returned from my trip yesterday. I was more than happy to pay the extremely modest bill for my two-day stay.

The main entrance to RMNP is only a few minutes away to the west of the Resort. Estes Park (with its many restaurants) is a few minutes away in the to the east. The atmosphere of the Resort is completely functional and a bit rustic; nothing pretentious about it. And that's exactly what I was looking for. Ken, the owner, was ever-helpful. He made me feel entirely at home. I will always be grateful to him for encouraging me to borrow some of the Resort's snow shoes (at no charge) and hiking the trails at Bear Lake. I was a bit hesitant, given that it was the middle of January and it was windy, but I bundled up and hit the trails and found exquisite beauty everywhere I walked. I barely saw any people once I was on the snow-packed trails. The people at home are extremely impressed with the photos. Bottom line: Even in January, Deer Crest Resort and RMNP provided a perfect reasonably priced escape for me.

Now I'm back in St. Louis, far from those incredible mountains. When people ask me where I was, I've been telling them that I "went on a retreat," which is how it felt. Thanks, Ken!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank ErichV
There are newer reviews for Deer Crest Resort

Reviewed 20 October 2009

Location is ideal for visiting RMNP. Also outside of Estes Park so you don't have the crowds to hear and deal with.
My room had a king size bed and kitchenette. Plenty of counter and storage space. Everything was clean and in order, albiet slightly worn. I didn't explore the grounds but I think it's near a stream.
The owners/managers were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ed-dest
Reviewed 19 September 2009

What a great little place, a veritable throw-back to the 50's when life was quieter and not so frantic.
The rooms are tucked along a lovely stream, with a babbling waterfall at one end of the property. A green lawn for sunning & watching the deer & marmots, & there is a nice warm swimming pool and a spotlessly clean hot tub available. The rooms are quite spacious and also quite clean. In the office are books & movies available for your use. The owners & staff are more than accommodating. And, there is a nice restaurant within walking distance.
Walking into the town is possible, but it is at least a mile's hike.
No kids are allowed, nor is smoking permitted on the grounds -- how nice!
Overall, an oasis for those of us who appreciate peace & quiet.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2009

I did a lot of research in March, 2009 for our trip in September, 2009. I read the reviews of several customers before I booked the trip. We needed a recliner in the room. That was our only necessity. Not only did we have a recliner, we had a recliner and a reclining loveseat! The rooms were clean and and nicely furnished. Our room was only about 22' from Fall River! So, it was so nice and peaceful. Ken and Carrie were so hospitable and very knowledgeable about Estes Park. We felt like we had known them for a long time.

You could not do better than this resort. It is small and has a great location. Estes Park was everything we had heard about and Deer Crest Resort was a great find!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2009

The owners are very friendly and helpful but I can't say it any other way than that this place was just not for me. It is basically a motel that overlooks the beautiful Fall River. The rooms are very dated, the beds uncomfortable and rooms are poorly ventilated. If you are in the two story section expect to hear lots of clomping from the room upstairs. We experienced it from about 5am to midnight every day, I guess these people don't sleep. Most of the other guests are retirees. If you have never stayed any place nicer than a Best Western than you may be satisfied with this place. The environment is quiet (outside of the room) and relaxed but for the price paid I think there are nicer accomodations in the area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank friendlyinsomniac
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Estes Park is one of my favorite places on the planet. Deer Crest is close to town, but not in town; cellular service can be in and out (I have Verizon.) Rooms were very comfortable, though there was some mold/mildew in the bathroom. Well kept, nice owner and staff, accommodating. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackismet
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Great location next to the national park. Easy walking distance to downtown. Top full service restaraunt 100 yards away.
Attentive and very service oriented hosts that hanlled all of our needs proactively. The hosts also serve as resident experts on where to go, see, do and eat in the area.
Room was well kept and had all the emenities we like. Walls are insulated well so you do not hear your neighbors.
Love the green belt in back of property with the river running behind it and even elk coming up to graze.
Very much liked the fact that this property is adults only and very quiet. Plus there is no smoking which keeps the rooms fresh.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple