“Good food and good music.”

Rock Inn Mountain Tavern
Ranked #5 of 130 Restaurants in Estes Park
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open 7 days a week at 4pm Sunday Mornings we are serving Brunch from 10am to 2pm Built in 1937as a dance hall for the Big Band Era, The Rock continues to be a lively gathering place with local flair. In the winter, our two wood-burning stoves keep the room toasty for folks stopping in for a beer or a bite after playing in Rocky Mountain National Park. During the summer season we enjoy stunning continental divide views from our outdoor dining patio. Our menu is an ever evolving blend of hand-crafted, hearty comfort food with a health and planet conscious twist. We aim to fill you up with goodness so you can get back to enjoying the mountains again tomorrow. We feature Certified Angus Beef, All-Natural Colorado chicken, fresh salads, whole grains, organic teas and coffees, local beers, sustainably produced wines, and a full bar. On Many Fridays after dinner, we set-up one of many original Colorado bands on our 76 year old stage, clear the dance floor and boogie all night. Some of the bands playing these days include Chain Station, James and the Devil, Old Town Pickers, The Sweet Lillies, Stringboard Theory, Cadillac Grip Funk, KC Groves, and many more. During the summer time, acoustic music acts play most other nights of the week, sunday nights are a mellower feeling as we host acoustic Colorado songwriters during dinner. You might catch Jon Pickett, Alex Thoele, Sarah Caton, Jay Roemer, Billy Shaddox, Jay Stott, or Terry Kishiyama and Ash Ganley. We also offer a great open bluegrass pick on Thursday nights lead by a few talented local musicians, either joining in on the pick or just sitting back and enjoying the bluegrass, tuesdays are a funny night of music. We look forward to having you join us. Reservations are not accepted, however if you want to give us a call, when you are on your way we will be happy to get a table ready for you or put you on the list. During the off-season there is rarely a wait. In July, August, and September it is best to get here before 6.
Georgia
“Good food and good music.”
Reviewed 2 February 2008

We ate at the Rock Inn during a recent stay in Estes Park and had excellent food and service and there was a live Bluegrass band on stage that night too.

1 Thank oldhams

Ellijay, GA
“A Diamond In The Rough - Full of Excellent Surprises”
Reviewed 13 January 2008

It was so refreshing to find this diamond in the rough. I had the great pleasure of a conversation with one of the owners who told me the story of their restaurant venture (one of the benefits of traveling alone). Apparently, the Rock Inn was an old locals favorite that had been closed down for many years. The new owners breathed new life into "The Rock" with a face lift on the structure while maintaining its original charm, with a fresh, creative menu and a young, enthusiastic staff.
The Rock Inn offers a cozy atmosphere, surprisingly good food, friendly and gracious staff and like any good travel experience, one excellent unexpected surprise after another.
This place should soon become famous for their herbal tea selection! And like many things at the Rock, you'd never expect it from the outside. Having visited the Rock Inn on my first trip out West from the East coast, I was concerned about my body's reaction to the dryness and altitude, so the owner with whom I spoke kindly suggested I try her locally made Altitude Tea from their expansive tea menu - yes, tea menu! There were no stale tea bags here! The fresh bulk tea was served Renaissance style in a glass tea press decanter - the entire decanter just for me. The tea, the fresh food, and entire experience made for a great "Rocky Mountain High" moment.
I did not get to stick around to experience the nightlife, but I could feel the buzz as the band was setting up. The place is rumored to be famous for its live music and as the place where the locals go.
I'm sure the Rock's thoughtful and eclectic wine, beer and liquor selection no doubt adds to the fun and festivities.
In our increasingly homogenized, strip mall culture, I say kudos to the owners and staff for daring to be different.
This diamond in the rough reminds me of a certain locals restaurant in Key West and another on the Florida Panhandle before they were discovered and made famous for their eclectic everything. The Rock Inn is definitely one of those spots that you'll want to be able to say, "yeah, I knew it back when..."

2 Thank beasti
Colorado
“Wonderful food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 January 2008

Loved the Rock Inn! It has a wonderful, casual atmosphere, very "Coloradoish." The menu was a surprise--along with items that you might expect were more esoteric offerings, such as their "barley bowl"--a huge bowl of barley and vegetables. It is obvious that the chef is creative and attentive to the wishes of all types of diners. We tried each others' meals. I liked the vegetable cheese melt with sweet potato fries, the mashed potatoes that were a part of the pork sandwich meals, and the corn-based appetizer. The pork sandwiches sounded good, but didn't do it for me. The next time we go, I'd like to try the chicken with apple and gorgonzola cheese, the mushroom appetizers (sounded amazing), and the potato-leek soup. Prices were very reasonable.

2 Thank aspire2B
Longmont, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food in Estes Park”
Reviewed 6 January 2008

My family and I have eaten at many restaurants in Estes Park over the past few years (mostly disappointing), and The Rock Inn is definitely the best food in town. The ingredients are very fresh and entrees are consistenly delicious. There are also healthy and yummy dishes for my kids to eat including the "barley bowl". The staff has always been friendly and attentive and the live music is great. The restaurant is also located close to the entrance of the National Park which makes it a perfect stop for us after hiking. The Rock Inn comes highly recommended!

1 Thank Chris046
Orlando, Florida
“Best place for live music and great food in Estes.”
Reviewed 20 June 2007

The Rock Inn Mountain Tavern, formerly the Old Rock Inn Steakhouse, is fantastic. Based on the outside of the restaurant I expected a standard American menu, burgers, fries, etc. I was pleasantly surprised that the menu was very original. The appetizer list is one of a kind. I highly recommend the "Devil’s on Horseback," garlic stuffed, bacon wrapped, dates. Sounded crazy to me also but they were excellent. Don’t be scared, you can still get a burger if you want. They offer everything from pizza to filet mignon. If your tired of all your meals tasting the same stop here.

Keep in mind they also have live music on some nights. Besides having good local musicians they get national acts as well. On one of the nights I was there I saw Big Smith, a national act with a blue grass feel. What a perfect place for that show. Everyone was dancing and having a good time it was like a scene out of a movie.

2 Thank ShawnB76