“Charming place with easy walk to downtown.”
Review of The Maxwell Inn

The Maxwell Inn
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

The new owners of this hotel are so accommodating and welcoming. The hotel is clean and fresh, and it is nicely situated within an 8 minute walk on a scenic path by the river into town. This was my first time to the Rockies, and they made the start of the trip such a great experience. Stay in room 3 if you can, it is really cute, but as a heads up, I'm not sure if there is a/c. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013
Dana M, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our Inn! We're happy you liked Room 3, it really offers something special... and I'm glad you appreciated it. And you're correct, there is no A/C in that room unfortunately, however it hasn't been an issue for most, but it's good to note! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

My family and I have stayed at this Inn every 2 years for the past 8 years. While it used to be the Mt Sage Inn, and was run well then, the changes and upgrades with the new owners are wonderful. Great new color schemes, new beds, tv's, and lovely owners. We have always liked this place due to the easy few minute walk to down time, but now with the freshness of the place it's even better. The new owners are amazing!!! Attentive, friendly, and a bonus for us was their children who played with our son one night while we were there. We will never stay anywhere else, and wish the new owners all the best!!!

Room Tip: any rooms are great. The back side has large hills for you to view, but the front side faces open a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank leann d
Dana M, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Leann it was great to meet you and your family. We too, enjoyed getting the kiddos together to play! Thank you for choosing The Maxwell Inn, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

In the first place, I booked the Maxwell Inn as it had relatively moderate prices and was not yet sold out when I booked rather late for the Memorial Day weekend... I was very positively surprised that this place was not just "okay", but a really pleasent place to stay! All rooms were newly renovated by the new owners, who were waiting up for me when I arrived late in the evening. They even offered me some food from the breakfast buffet right then at my late arrival when I mentioned I couldn't wait for breakfast. The Maxwell Inn is situated in just a few minutes walking distance to the center of Estes Park and you can walk on a nice pedestrian way along Fall River to get there. You are also very close to get into the Rocky Mountain NP within just a few minutes by car. Although you do not necessarily need to go into the National Park: When I woke up one morning, I just stepped out of my room to see some Elk grazing at the river right on the other side of the street! They also had some humming bird feeders in front of the reception, which were visited every now and then by some early hummers... If I ever get back to Estes Park, I would not hesitate to book the Maxwell Inn again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sandra E

We very much enjoyed hearing about your hikes and day trips. We're pretty impressed with how much you saw and did while you were here! Thank you for writing about our Inn. It's really important to us to make sure that our guests know their appreciated. Come back and see us again! Thank you!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was our 49th anniversary stay at the Maxwell Inn. The first night we had 4 elk
visit at our sight!!! The view of the mountain was awesome . The town of Estes very
close as was Nicky's resturant where we ate. We would highly recommend this Inn.
The owners were very helpful . !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dana M, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Josie it was so great to meet you and your husband. Tell him if he wants to get rid of some of those high horsepower cars, he knows where they would have a good home. :-) I am happy that your anniversary was special - and I would love to see you two in the future. Thank you very much for staying with us!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We were looking for a last minute getaway early June, 2013. I received a recommendation from the Estes Park Convention & Visitors Bureau of several places that might have vacancy 2 days before our arrival. We were given some of the best hospitality and customer service we have ever had. And I DO mean ever! They started by giving a pair of white chocolate covered pretzels (from Laura's) at check in. Then we simply asked if they might Raisin Bran for the breakfast the next morning. THEY WENT OUT AND BOUGHT IT! It's been a long time since we have had treatment like that. These folks are the best! I highly recommend a visit. They are a short walk from downtown and the the walk is most refreshing.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

It was absolutely great visiting with you and your wife. Hopefully we'll become your "go to" destination when you head to Estes. Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I confess that I usually stay at nationally recognized chain hotels like the various Marriott brands (Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, TownePlace Suites, Courtyard, etc), Hyatt Place, etc. Mostly because when I travel for work I don't like a lot of surprises when it comes to sleeping well, etc. When my wife and I had the chance to get away for a few days' break, The Maxwell Inn caught our eye -- mostly due to the TripAdvisor reviews. We took a chance and are so glad we did. Granted our expectations were lowered some, but we were so pleasantly surprised by the clean rooms, freshly updated decor, new beds and more. Perhaps the best part were the owners, Pete and Dana Maxwell who bought, remodeled and opened the place under their name this past May. While it's not a B&B, they bring a nice personal touch to the stay experience. Our King bed suite (Room 21 on their website) wasn't big, but I don't think you go to Estes Park to hang out in your room too much. Their lobby area, breakfast room and small patio / courtyard are nice for hanging out. We didn't get a chance to use the hot tub, but perhaps next time. We were pleased that we didn't notice any street noise at night. We were also quite glad to find that the main strip was a pleasant 10 minute walk along a river. We would gladly stay here again.

1  Thank marksb303

Mark - Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We're not the Trump Towers by any means, but we do have a lot of pride in what we do here. I appreciate your honest and straightforward review of both your expectations and experience. It was great chatting with you and we hope to see you the next time you make the journey back this way!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

What made our stay at The Maxwell Inn so unique was the special service. The new owners were very considerate of our requests. The rooms are newly renovated, bit I enjoyed that they kept some of the quaint charm. For example, our room included one of those old fashioned bottle openers on the bathroom wall. But the thick towels were today's luxury. They serve a nice continental breakfast. (Thank you for making sure I could eat my beloved Raisin.). The Inn is within walking distance of town with restaurants, sweet shops and souvenirs.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have air conditioners. Some rooms are on the 2nd floor, which requires stairs.
1  Thank Karen S
Dana M, Owner at The Maxwell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

It was great having you stay with us. We are happy to do anything we can to satisfy a need - even as simple as a certain cereal by request! We enjoyed visiting with you and will look forward to seeing you again!!!