Dripping Springs Resort
Discovery Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$165
Quality Inn Estes Park(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$190
QualityInn
Murphy's Resort at Estes Park(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$171
The Estes Park Resort(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$301
US$278
Murphy's River Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$165
Hotel Estes(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$164
Stanley Hotel(Estes Park)
US$341
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Alpine Trail Ridge Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$177
Hotwire.com
Appenzell Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$152
Nicky's Resort(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$166
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe big thompson riverfire pitthe sleep number bedthe private hot tubcottage roomthe riverdancing beartwinkle lightspicnic lunchevery morningprivate deckother guestsbreakfast was deliciousbed and breakfastthe grillstayed here for two nightswe've stayed
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Very cute little set up and excellent staff. Its in a very relaxing setting and I loved the private hot tub. The breakfast was delicious and very satisfying. I would definitely go back for another stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AFry
Reviewed 4 June 2009

This was a very relaxing trip. The owners were very nice, and more than willing to help with anything, or give ideas of things to do and places to go. I would definitely visit again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Before this review begins I would like to add one little caveat to all those who have never visited the Estes Park area, or those who are not sufficiently familar with the regular amenities around Rocky National Park: most cabins in the area are going to be generally "rustic" to most peoples' standards unless you are wishing to pay a lot of money. When you book a trip to the Rockies, you are not paying for the grand accomodations; instead, you are paying for the scenery and location. If you are coming to Estes Park and looking for luxury, stay at the Stanley Hotel (just be prepared to pay $$$). Most cabins will be considered "rustic" to many city-dwellers, but I can assure you through experience (I've visited the area approximately 15 times for lengthy periods) that this is the norm in the area.

That being said, let the review begin.

The B&B is located 2 miles outside of Estes Park. This may seem like a detriment, but it's actually quite nice. It literally will add two minutes to your trip into Estes (~5-10 minutes from the park entrance). This is well worth it during the busy season (July/August) as it will help isolate you from the insanity that is Downtown Estes at this time. The resort is located in a nice nook in the Big Thompson River Canyon and covers ~1/4 of river front (absolutely gorgeous).

The river at the location is absolutely stunning. When we went (May), the river was a little higher due to the snow melt, but it was still absolutely amazing.

The fishing here is AMAZING. Ask any of the local fly fishing guides (for verification of this email Kirk's Fly Shop at Estes Park (highly recommend them also)). There are multiple stretches of ideal fishing spots. I consider myself a novice fisherman at best, yet I was still able to catch 15 trout (7 Browns, 6 Rainbows and 2 Cutthroats). Furthermore, you have a wide range to fish (sometimes all by yourself!). The one drawback is that the resort is located right after the Lake Estes Dam so all of the waters are catch and release (but still well worth it).

My wife and I stayed in the Alamo cabin. It was a pretty nice cabin with ideal waterfront. Although you had to climb down some rocks to get to the river, it was ideal for fishing.
Pros and Cons about the Alamo Cabin:

PROS:
(1) Location: right off the river and plenty of beautiful fishing spots.
(2) BEARS!!! (You won't see as many inside town)
(3) The patio with hot tub is amazing. I would always wake up and go sit on the patio outside and watch the river (if I wasn't already fishing). The patio is huge and has a nice roof that will cover you from all weather. So you can sit in the hot tub and listen to the river, or a nice thunderstorm!
(4) Bed was comfortable;
(5) The tile floor was nice;
(6) LOCATION: I cannot preach this enough. The view of the river from the cabin is the best.
(7) This cabin seemed the most isolated from all the other cabins.

CONS:
(1) Location of the cabin is right off the road, although noise is greatly mitigated by the privacy wall.
(2) The bathroom is pretty small. My wife and I are small people, so it wasn't a problem for us. But if you're above 6 feet tall, it may be akward on the toilet.
(3) The inside fireplace was very finicky. You had to buy a fire-starter log in order to light any fire.
(4) The futon mattress had seen better days...
(5) Space is a little tight, but again, it's a two person cabin.

The property itself is beautiful, but does need a little bit of a touch-up. However, we did come to the resort right when it opened, so they appeared to be in the midst of spring clean-up. There are some things that are little odd (e.g. the fake flowers scattered on the property), but the hammocks and benches that they are layed out sporadicaly amongst the river's edge are great.

The prices are also terrific. Similar accomodations inside the town of Estes Park would be much higher and you would get less for your buck. These are not luxury cabins, but if you're coming to Rocky Mountain National Park, you are not coming for the accomodations. For the price, the location and cabins are wonderful.

Finally, everyone at the resort was terrific. Janie and Oliver are down-to-earth and are some of the friendliest people you can meet. They are there to take care of you and they do.

Ultimately, I would recommend this resort (and the Alamo Cabin) to anyone who is interested in saving money and getting the most for their buck. Be advised, if you are looking for luxury, this isn't what you are looking for. The fishing here is superb and alone could justify the cost of staying here. These are nice rustic cabins that are comparable to others in the area, but at cheaper prices. Plus, the river location is bigger/better than those you'll find in Estes Park.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Walks45
Reviewed 18 October 2008

We enjoyed our stay at Dripping Springs. The property is quite pretty, right on the Thompson River, and the Prairie Spirit room was quaint and comfortable. We especially enjoyed the private hot tub on the adjacent deck. Amy and Bart were very helpful and congenial and made us feel welcome. We've stayed in many bed and breakfasts and this one was very well managed and comfortable.
Bob and Jane
Virginia

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 25 September 2008

My husband and I booked the "Rustic Cabin". It was the most terrible place that I have EVER stayed. I thought the cabin would be set away from the rest of the facility but it was right next to another unit. That would have been okay except the cabin was aweful. Rustic makes me think of an old mountain cabin, not a fancy sort of place. This place might be old but it was dirty, unmaintained and shabby. Just being old doesn't make it rustic. It was carpeted and the carpeting was stained everywhere. The windows were covered by flour sacks and that would be okay if they were cleaning and hanging from rods but they were dusty, stained and dirty and many of the wall brackets for the rods were broken, some were just laying on the floor. If it had ever been cleaned someone might have noticed them on the floor. The sleeper sofa was 80's era and was so grungy that I barely had courage to put my luggage on it, let alone think about sleeping in it. The bed was worn out, low quality and the foot of the bed was higher than the head of the bed. The drab comforter and few throw pillows looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. I just prayed the sheets were laundered and I dared not to look to close to find out. The modern kitchen must have meant it had electricity because there was nothing special about it at all. After seeing the rest of this place I didn't dare use any of the eqiupment in there. The bathroom was the worst. The towels were faded, thin and the white colors had turned to gray. There was a sign by the toilet to not flush paper products. We were supposed to wipe and toss THAT in the trash can? The shower consisted of an attached metal wall 3 feet way from the corner walls. The shower head dripped constantly. The very worst part was that the shower NEVER drained. It was so gross that I had to wear my shoes in there when showering. The standing water was 2-3 inches deep at all times. And you know what? Tthe person at the desk KNEW the shower didn't drain! They know what poor care and upkeep this cabin has had and yet they keep booking people into it instead of taking care of it. I can't believe we paid good money to stay in this wreck. I'm not a prissy person and have spent many trips sleeping in a sleeping bag in a tent. I would have rather done that on this trip than stay in this place.

Truly, this was the worst place I have ever experienced. Staying at the Super 8 would have been 100 times better. The river by Dripping Springs was beautiful but you can see the river from lots of other places.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple