“Awesome anniversary dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We made reservations only hours from when we wanted to arrive, and we were seated immediately on the porch outdoors with a fabulous view of the lake and mountains. The waiter was helpful in choosing beers, the beer flight offered tastes of some of the best microbrews I've ever had, and the food was outstanding. My trout was heavenly, and the brussel sprouts and sweet and sour beans I chose for sides were unusual and scrumptious! We talked about coming back here every year for our anniversary just to enjoy this food again!

There are newer reviews for Tavern 1929

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We always stop and eat a couple of times at Mary's Lake Lodge when we stay in Estes Park. If the weather is right (which is most of the time) we sit out on the deck and enjoy the beautiful views while we eat.

The food is not the typical bar food it is much better with great choices. The food is always delicious and priced reasonably. Service is always great.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I think this is called The Big Beaver at Mary's Lake Lodge. The view from the bar area is sublime. The severs were friendly. I had rabbit and rattlesnake sausage. It was great. I'd return.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The food was ok, maybe a little better than average. The green beans were swimming in a sweet syrup, gross. Our waitress was also ok but we could tell she was over-sat. It was Friday night and hardly anyone was working! We ended up sitting with empty glasses and dirty plates for at least 10 minutes. When our plates were finally removed we were not offered another drink or dessert which we planned on ordering. We paid and left.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

First thing our waiter says to us, which is what every diner wants to hear, "This is my last day guys, sorry if i'm a little out of it". That was an understatement.

We started with 3-4 appetizers, no real complaints there. Nachos, molasses wings (which, were actually very good) and a pretzel. I mean, it's a pretzel....how hard is it to screw up a frozen pretzel? Apparently not that hard at The Tavern.

Three of us got the chicken fried steak, and the three of us are from Oklahoma and know what a good CFS is and this wasn't it, far from it. Bland breading, meat was too thick, and very tough (and they tout it on the menu as 'prime rib'). Potatoes were just OK. Sweet and Sour green beans are literally canned Del Monte beans in a weird sweet and sour sauce like you would put on your Chinese shrimp. Not good.

Friend got the Shaved Prime Rib Sandwich. She opened it up, took her fork, and lifted up a huge piece of burnt/greasy/stuck together strings of meat. Looked like something my cat throws up on occasion. She ate the fries, and said "I don't care if these are cold, i'm starving to death". If I were her I would have sent it back, but that's me.

Other friend got the elk chops, he didn't have anything bad to say about those.

The ONLY thing this place has going for them is the view. That's it. A view and some meh bar food. Go for the view and drinks (and wings) and take your dinner elsewhere.

1  Thank Emily F

Been to Tavern 1929? Share your experiences!