“Going Back for a THIRD Time!”

Castle Mountain Lodge
Reviewed 4 April 2013

September 2012 my husband, daughter (20) and myself were driving from Kansas to see a Jason Mraz concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater and we decided to add a couple days to our trip and spend some nights in Estes Park. We were there a couple years prior, and had stayed at Castle Mountain Lodge at the Large Homestead cabin (which was fantastic) however, it was up the road from the main Lodge area. We decided we wanted to go back to Castle Mountain Lodge and stay, this time stay with the other cabins and by the office and the stream.

I don't even know where to begin, this is how much we enjoy Castle Mountain Lodge. Everything is wonderful - Not only the grounds, the location, the staff, the ambiance - This place has it all! Lejune (I think that's her name) is Top Notch. Fantastic lady. We were on the phone for about 15 minutes when I called to book the cabin. She was telling me about each and every cabin that was available, describing everything to me. Gold Star Customer Service.

We happened to be there out of sheer luck, the same weekend of Aspen Gold Festival. The Aspens are golden, and simply breathtaking. We stayed in River Castle 1, which was PERFECT. The kitchen was fully stocked, fireplace, two comfortable recliners if you choose to relax and watch some evening television, and daily wood delivery to your doorstep!

We had a fire in the fire pit each night, which is located by the stream. The year before we happened to run into a bear, yes a bear, who was sitting across the stream watching us from the street. I think hubby was hoping he could re-enact the same thing this year, but our little friend was a no-show.

Castle Mountain Lodge is located close enough to town to be perfect, but yet far enough away to feel you're away from civilization.

We saw wild turkeys roaming the grounds every day which was quite the sight. The morning and early evening are my favorite time at Castle Mountain Lodge. Everyone is out and sittingon their patio, making breakfast or dinner, and saying hello and making friends. We love it here so much we're booking another September trip, which will be our THIRD time there. People we've talked to while there said they return year after year after year and we can see why.

Fantastic for a family, or a romantic get-away. We just love Castle Mountain Lodge and we recommend it to everyone that says they're taking a trip to Estes Park.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SallyLuu

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We always wanted to try Castle Mountain Lodge and finally we were able to on this last visit to Estes Park. We stayed for 5 nights in the room named the Great Room. This was an incredible room that is fairly new construction and is really cool architecture (wood beams, lots of windows, built right up to a rock wall, etc.). The private hot tub on the deck is perfect for 2 people. The service was great. Would highly recommend this place and will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mtwalsh367
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My wife and our two boys decided to "get away" to Castle Mountain Lodge and stayed in Castle River 7. This huge cabin has a separate bedroom, a well supplied full kitchen, and a nice private spa. The spa is in it's own separate ventilated area so the smell and humidity doesn't impinge on the rest of the cabin like some other places you might have been. There's also a nice "back" patio and BBQ Grille which I'm sure would have been a lot of fun in the summer. Despite obviously being a somewhat older building, it's been kept in excellent repair and very clean. More people could have easily fit into this room (up to 6 adults I'd guess) making the price also a great value. For a small mountain town, the wifi/internet worked quite well and there was plenty of cable channels on TV for when we wanted TV. We loved the wood fireplace which came supplied for us with everything needed to build a warm fire!

LuJean the owner was very friendly and helpful for our every need throughout our trip. I felt like we were staying at a B&B. It was an incredibly relaxing stay with absolutely no problems at all. I don't get to say that very often about any lodging experience. The location couldn't be more perfect as well - beautiful! My kids kept remarking the whole time "It's so quiet Daddy!".

What a great place to come with family!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris O
Reviewed 5 January 2013

This was my husband and I's third Christmas at Castle Mountain Lodge and everything was perfect as usual. It's a wonderful feeling when Lu Jean, the manager, greets you upon your arrival like you are close family, home for the holidays. We stayed in River Castle 7 which is roomy, comfortable and very romantic. The Hot Tub felt so great after spending the day snowshoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park. The cabin was very clean and someone dropped by daily to see if we needed anything. I cannot recommend Castle Mountain Lodge highly enough and we look forward to spending Christmas there again another year.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie E
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We were only staying one night, so we stayed in one of the rooms. It was perfect. Small, but very comfortable with plenty of room, very quiet, comfortable beds and a little porch we could sit out on. The rooms were exceptionally clean and updated, but still have the cabin feel. The entire staff was friendly and helpfull and the setting was great. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mtnlife
Reviewed 2 October 2012

For our second trip to Estes Park, we returned to Castle Mountain Lodge. We again stayed in one of the standard rooms our first night. It was serviceable with two beds, refrigerator, microwave, TV, and DVD player. The shower was my only complaint - I had to squat to get my hair wet and the shower curtain kept blowing in and clinging to me. I'd be perfectly happy in these rooms if they could upgrade the showers!!!

For the next four nights we stayed in Castle Glen - a duplex overlooking Fall River. It was very nice with a kitchenette (full fridge, microwave, coffeepot, dishes, stove) that opened to the living room and had a separate bedroom with two beds. The shower was much improved (thank goodness!). However, whenever you have a duplex, you have the potential for noisy neighbors and several times there were babies/kids next door slamming the doors and screaming. Really, people - teach your kids how to behave!!

My favorite part of Castle Mountain and why we keep returning is it's location and setting. We love sitting by the river and hearing it from the cabin. We love hiking up behind the lodge. We love being only a couple miles from the quieter RMNP entrance (and not having to go to the Beaver Meadows entrance). We love having a fire place with wood provided. And the owners of Castle Mtn are very nice. We'll keep returning!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank donia1022
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The E-Myth Revisited is a book that highlights businesses that know how to give customers a consistently great experience year visit after visit and year after year. Since 1987, Castle Mountain has given a magical experience to me and my family on every visit. We went there as a young married couple, then as a couple expecting our first child, then as our two sons have been growing up, and this past summer we all returned again, to a different cabin than we'd ever stayed in before, and that cabin has now become our family favorite. The Disney Corporation has a formula at their parks and hotels that give their guests a magical experience everytime they visit. Castle Mountain gives guests a similar experience. It's surroundings are exquisitely beautiful; it is on the quiet side of Estes Park; the cabins are updated and sparkling clear as are the front and back rock porches and seating areas, which include hanging swings in beautifully manicured grassy meadows; the river down below provides the music which will lull you to sleep every night. And then there is LuJean, the manager of this property, who is the heart and soul of the place. For over 25 years, she has greeted us with the smile and care that a beloved aunt would give you when she welcomes you into her comfy home. We hope LuJean will always be there to greet us. On our visit to Castle Mountain this summer, after having other obligations that kept us from going there for several years, we were reminded how rejuvenating it is, and we hope to return there for many seasons to come.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family