“Friendly relaxing beauty”
Review of River Spruce

We can't find prices for this accommodation
River Spruce
Montreat, North Carolina
“Friendly relaxing beauty”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

A cozy cabin nestled along the Big Thompson River, birds singing, wildlife watching and spectacular star gazing straight from the hot tub! Quiet and relaxing a great place to explore Rocky Mountain National Park and the quaint town of Estes Park. Jim and Becky are incredibly friendly, helpful and kind. A fantastic place to relax, unwind and be.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights at River Spruce right after Christmas and had 3 of the best nights of our 19 year marriage. They ladies there are so kind. The fact that they delivered fresh baked goods every morning to our door was amazing. I would recommend River Spruce a million times over. I know want to spend time there in a different season. Winter was great, but sping/summer would also be terrific!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Roeland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 20 November 2013

River Spruce is a great place to get away and RELAX!! Wendye & Shelley welcome you like family and make sure your stay is the best! The cabins are quaint and comfortable, the river is right outside your door and several of the cabins have hot tubs! Warm, homemade yummies are delivered in a basket to your door from Wendye & Shelley each morning ( zucchini bread and chocolate chip banana bread most recent trip).
This is my favorite place to stay in Estes Park!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Shelley P, Owner at River Spruce, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thanks so much for the kind words! We always enjoy our return guests Erin!
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Wendye and Shelley share their many home-like cabins for an escape to nature -- each cabin has its own personality and many have hot tubs, which are fantastic for cool mountain evenings. The sounds of the river are soothing and calming and it's likely you will see wildlife in the area. River Spruce is close to the park, but has easy access to the downtown and many restaurants. It is the perfect place for friends and families. Estes Park is fortunate to have this hidden jewel!

Room Tip: The website gives plenty of information on each cabin's personalities.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank seholm
Dublin, Georgia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I choose places to stay based on how I feel while I'm there and by how much I don't want to leave. I have stayed many places in Estes, but have never had that feeling until staying here. I am a firm believer in soul restoration. The River Spruce website itself has a banner that speaks to me it says "Relax. Reflect. Renew." How true that is at this property. We came here in July for a family vacation and the kids loved it. We built fires in the fire pit and ate out by the Big Thompson River at our picnic table each evening. It is in the perfect location right outside of RMNP and Estes. The hospitality that we were shown on that visit prompted me to chose River Spruce for my own "me" vacation. I must say that I fell in love with this place more on my second visit. Wendye and Shelley really made sure that I was taking all the proper equipment needed for hiking on the icy trails in RMNP. I must say that the hot tub was a definitely plus after hiking so much. They deliver fresh baked muffins to your door every morning except for Sunday. They gave me the perfect recommendations for everything that I asked of them (could not be more happy with the hair salon and my hair cut). I am used to hospitality as I was raised in the South, but I have received the best treatment both times that I have stayed here and it feels like home. The very best day I had was sitting in the sun by the river reading and listening to music. I came here to rest and restore my soul, and I have never returned from a vacation more rejuvenated. I must say thank you to you both for treating me as a friend and not just as a customer. I will stay here every time I come to Estes.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lara B
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I looked through about 30 cabins around Estes Park before I booked the River Spruce. It did not disappoint my family at all. We had a wonderful time staying at the cabin. The place is more beautiful than the pictures posted on their website. Shelley made fresh and hot home made bread for our breakfast. It tasted so good. Next time when I want to go to Estes Park, this is the place I will stay again, again, and again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Shelley P, Owner at River Spruce, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! We enjoy baking so it's always good to know our guests enjoy eating what we bake:) Thanks for the great review, we'll look forward to the next visit!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The peaceful riverside cabin was a last minute find for us to take a quick weekend trip on the kids' Fall Break. This was just a couple weeks after the flooding in Estes and the main highway was closed so we took the back way and were rewarded with a gorgeous scenic drive. Upon arriving at River Spruce we were warmly greeted by the owner, Shelley, who got us settled in a cozy cabin that sits about 15 feet from the river. The grounds were already immaculate - each cabin has a tidy little picnic table and chairs surrounding well-kept fire pits just steps from the soothing river. Shelley even had firewood we bought for our stay. The cabin was also neat and tidy and had plenty of blankets and pillows for our chilly fall nights. The cabin is heated and comfy with a full kitchen and bath. Rocky Mountain National Park can be entered by foot just up the street or by car about 5 minutes away. We saw plenty of bugling elk, birds and coyote.
River Spruce is well kept, the owner warm and welcoming, in a great mountain location for a reasonable price - we will definitely return to explore the park and town further!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong - all of the cabins are right on the river, but if you want a private hot tub you...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family