“Really Pleasant Surprise!!”

Ranked #47 of 128 Restaurants in Estes Park
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Appenzell Pub offers a variety of tapas, as well as drinks.
Springfield, Illinois
“Really Pleasant Surprise!!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

An exceptional restaurant, with very knowledgable management. I was staying at the inn and the restaurant was handy. My first night I wanted something light after a day of traveling. I had an amazing cheese and meat plate with a glass of Riesling. All cheeses and meats were from Spain and I savored every bite. I had to have dessert and finally chose the chocolate flourless cake with berries and ice cream. Yummy! Of course, I returned the next night. I was ready for a full meal. I had the beet salad and trout baked in parchment. Both were excellent. I had the flourless cake for dessert again, even though several patrons were raving about the cream brûlée. This is a small restaurant with a small dedicated staff. If you want amazing food it takes a little time. If you are worried about reservations and bothered by the more relaxed atmosphere, please go somewhere else. Because there are plenty of people like me who love everything about this restaurant and are willing to be patient and enjoy a wonderful meal, in a beautiful setting. I have two regrets. One, I wish I could have stayed a few more days to sample more of the menu. Two, I know this place will become so popular, when I return it will be so busy that some of it's charm will be lost.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank 1227Honey

“Fantastic and ignore the one bad review!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic. Quaint. Character. Delicious. You can't come to Estes Park and not eat here. And what a shame about the prior review of someone who couldn't be seated quickly because the restaurant is so amazing. We also came yesterday at 7pm and the place, which is no more than a dozen tables, was packed. So we came back earlier tonight. Thank goodness we did. There is no excuse for giving an amazing restaurant a "poor" rating because it is packed. The reason it was packed is because it is so good. Don't miss it.

2 Thank Kevin B
Denver, CO
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We arrived early on a Monday evening as reservations may only be made for parties of eight or more. This gave us the option of sitting outside on the small deck, which we enjoyed. The service was excellent, as were the cocktails, wine and cheese plate. The menu is small but sufficient for just about anyone and the trout was quite good. The only vegetarian option was mushroom risotto, which was disappointing - not enough mushrooms and mushy rice. We were not pressured to finish our meal and enjoyed the dining experience.

• Visited August 2014
La Quinta, California
“Don't waste your time or go very early!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Based on trip advisor #1 rating in Estes Park we wanted to try this restaurant. Called for reservations and they don't take them for parties of 2. So we went ahead and drove to the restaurant on a Tues eve and arrived at 7pm. Owner informed us that they would not take us for another hour. We opted to go to another restaurant.

Very disappointed. First bad trip advisor recommendation. This place will not be #1 for long!

3 Thank Susanleeco
Peoria, Illinois
“Simply delicious”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our family considers ourselves food snobs as we love to cook and eat. We have not found anything in Estes Park that can compare to Appenzell! The cheese tray we ordered was to die for! The beet and arugula salad was super fresh with homemade dressing! Creme Brûlée is my favorite dessert and this was the best I have ever had! Every other person in the restaurant was as pleased with their meal as we were.

The young manager who took over in February is really making a name for himself! He was very interesting to talk to, gave us his undivided attention, was helpful and willing to please! He was very informative when it came to explaining the different cheeses to us! The waitress was very kind and checked on us often. The dining area is small but cozy. There is also a lovely outside patio!

We could not stop talking about how wonderful our meal was! Wishing we were staying longer to make another visit to Appenzell's!

• Visited August 2014