“Truly Romantic!!! Real River Song!!! Loved It!!!”

Romantic Riversong Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 20 Estes Park B&B and Inns
Hod Hasharon
“Truly Romantic!!! Real River Song!!! Loved It!!!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The Romantic River Song certainly lives up to its name. It is very romantic and when we sat on our porch we could hear the river from down below very clearly.
Romantic River Song is beautifully located, just outside Estes park, in the woods. It sits on a large and beautiful piece of property, nestled next to wooded mountains.
Our room was the Wood Nymph, part of a two-unit wooden cabin, secluded, with a beautiful balcony. The room (More of a suite, actually) was cozy, full of thoughtful personal touches and very well appointed. Lovely whirlpool bath overlooking the forest and huge walk-in shower as well.
Breakfasts were excellent, fresh and varied, prepared by the housekeeper-of-the-day.
Romantic River Song has ten units/rooms, which makes it more of a resort/inn that a B&B. We usually like B&Bs because we get to know the owners and learn about the locals and get useful tips. Here you don't really get to know the owners and the interaction is with the housekeeper-of-the-day, which was almost as good....
There is a nice trail climbing up the mountain next to the inn and it is a beautiful place to be at sunset.
All in all, we stayed here for two nights and loved every moment of it!! Excellent base for trips to Rocky Mountain National Park!!
Great Place!!

Room Tip: We didn't visit other rooms. However, Wood Nymph was great and we undestood that it is one of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Everytime we stay at the Riversong Bed and Breakfast- we absolutely love it! The innkeepers (especially Mary!) and staff are absolutely the friendliest and helpful! We have tried other B&Bs in Estes and 'Riversong' is by far the best! Love the breakfasts, scenery and special care we always receive! We would go back in a minute!

1 Thank Linda S
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

very nice b&b near the rocky mountains. stayed there 2 nights. during the day we discovered the RMNP (great!) and in the afternoon we relaxed in our beautiful Shooting Star room in the private jacuzzi. Very frendly people work here, the breakfast we enjoyed very much. And the scoons in the afternoon are delicious. Very romantic, great garden and great restaurants ( Twin Owls Steakhouse and Smoking Daves BBQ's are the 2 we tried) near Estes Park. Quite tricky to find the Riversong BB but the adventure is worth it.

Cincinnati
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This place deserves a 4 or 5 for "experience" and a 1 for a faulty online reservation system, which averages to an undervalued 3. The issue: the online system allows one to book a reservation for a summertime Friday/Saturday, and will send an official email confirming your reservation. Since this is inconsistent with the actual (but not obvious) "booking policy" sometime later you will receive an email from the staff informing you that your reservation needs to be revised. While this may work well for the Riversong, it meant revising the other reservations I had made for adjacent nights. And very unfortunately for us, I printed out the first confirmation and put it in our two week travel folder 3 months before our trip, and did not replace it with the revision. So... Friday morning we learned we'd been double booked (and paid) for Thursday, and were homeless for Saturday! The Friday I thought we were to check into the Riversong, I was receiving friendly messages from the staff inquiring where we were as their records indicated a Thursday check-in. The owner made no concessions for us, despite the issue with his reservation system. But the staff (Kerry and Mary in particular) bent over backwards to try to make amends... we arrived Friday mid-morning and they made an amazing breakfast for us, and gave us a great champagne/cheese/cracker spread for the afternoon to make us feel better about the whole experience. This was the least they could do seeing we paid for 2 Thursday night stays and then had to pay for another place last minute for Saturday, very costly for us.

The bones of this place are great and deserving of its Select Registry designation: the location in the bend of the river, the warm-heartedness of the staff, the beautifully presented breakfasts, the private little bedrooms and patios. But the attention to details show a little fray: e.g. synthetic-stuffed pillows vs down now common in top rated places, giant sized bargain brand toiletries vs signature packaging, guest books and requested questionnaires with no pen, etc.

We were able to discuss our reservation snafu with the owner who apologized but was not planning to make any revisions to his software (he claimed he could not do this). He did say that going forward he would change the copy on the website to make it more obvious that one can only book Th/Fri or Sat/Sun weekends during the summer. And should someone book in error through the online system he would have the staff make a personal CALL (vs email) to discuss this issue. All sounds good, but doesn't make up for the incremental $280 paid for an alternative, late booked, riverside place to stay in Estes Park.

3 Thank marylll
Wyoming, MI
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We ended our wonderful honeymoon here at the Romantic Riversong Bed and Breakfast. It was beyond what our expectations was. We stayed 2 nights in the Pasque Flower Room and two nights in the Cowboy Delight. From the exotic and delicious breakfasts we had every morning to the quaint local feel we got staying here it was amazing. Mary and Kerri were our innkeepers and they didn't skip a beat with telling us some local hot spots to where the best hiking spot were in the RMNP! We hope to return on one of our anniversaries. Thanks again Riversong for making our honeymoon an unforgettable experience!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Cowboy Delight because of the incredible hot tub and awesome deck to sit and have cof...
Missouri
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I just finished our three day stay at the Riversong. Seeing the property for the first time brought tears to my eyes, its presence was that wonderful. We came for a woodsy/natural experience, and it appeared that we got just what we asked for. Tucked away at the base of the Roosevelt National Forest, the Inn is in the perfect location for people seeking quiet isolation. You can really smell the pine trees, hear the gentle babble of the stream running through the woods below. We were shown our room, and introduced to the room's features. In our three days' stay, we saw a large black bear shuffling near our dining room while eating breakfast. We also saw two bull elk munching on grass on another morning, and numerous small mammals chattering from the trees. It was lovely. The breakfasts, while beautifully presented, were not especially to our liking though, because a) the portions were meager, and b) the "gourmet" offerings were not to our liking. Other folks have found the breakfasts delectable, if you go by these reviews. Just read them all, then make your own decisions, having considered everybody's opinion. As for the details of the property, we found our room in need of repair and/or remodeling. We had the Wood Nymph room and the paint job was terrible! Whoever painted it did a quick half-assed job because the yellow paint just went up to the window treatments and no further. The painter didn't remove the curtain rod! I guess they were hoping no one would notice. Outside on the deck, the painter didn't remove the blue painting tape either! Also, the new paint went almost to the recessed ceiling light, but not quite, leaving a white band of the earlier paint job showing around the light. Unbelievable. Also, the Christmas lights that were woven throughout the branches overhanging our wood nymph bed were not fully lit, with only about half of them working. And that was too bad because the biggest allure of staying in the wood nymph room is the bed feature. The bed and its lights should have been magical, but instead, it was annoying, so we just unplugged the whole thing. My biggest problem with the room is that there is absolutely NO AIR CONDITIONING! My husband and I spent three sleepless nights just trying to get comfortable. It was stuffy and warmer than we like it, and even with all the windows open and a cool night outside, the cool air did not get into the room, and we were miserable. We found a tall "oscillating" fan in the closet, so we hauled that out at 2:00 a.m., but none of the buttons worked, not even the on/off button, and the only way we could get the thing to operate was to just plug it in. We did that, but the fan didn't oscillate back and forth either, so we just put it in front of a window and blew air straight at us. The electrical socket on the living room floor was congealed with an unidentified substance, but was operational for the lamp that was plugged into it. It was kind of gross to sit on the couch and look at it, though. Housekeeping should clean that thoroughly. Also, the wallpaper was peeling off around the jetted tub and in the separate bathroom, so very disappointing and absolutely surprising in a room that cost $295 a night. The little decorations in the room were very sweet, little birds' nests, bird houses, tons of books of every variety, and games were in the bookshelves. A refrigerator, wonderful two-headed, walk-in shower, a fireplace, a very average deck with uncomfortable chairs and a small table, but a relaxing and breathtaking view of the pine trees and distant mountain. A small distraction was having an old beat-up pick-up truck sitting in full view of the cabins, which kind of detracted from the surroundings. Having said all this, my bottom line is that for $295 a night, it was WAY way overpriced, because at that price, everything should be absolute perfection, in my opinion. It was not. So, in the future, I might stay in one of Riversong's lower-priced rooms for its proximity to Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, the animals, and the smell of the pines. I hope they do some much-needed upkeep, hide that pickup truck, and provide another choice for breakfast for those of us who don't necessarily like the day's single offering. It's a nice place though, especially for folks who aren't particularly attentive to disappointing details.

Room Tip: Be prepared for less than perfection in a room that costs $300 a night. Had I been forewarned about...
4 Thank TurtleGirl2010
theromantictraveler, Owner at Romantic Riversong Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
I am the co-owner (with my wife, Sue Mansfield) of Romantic RiverSong and I want to thank this guest for such a detailed review of our Wood Nymph room. We are grateful for all feedback as it is an excellent way to truly understand the guest experience and to monitor what we do well and what we need to improve.
I was especially delighted to hear how much she and her husband enjoyed the wildlife around the inn, as I never tire of the guests' excitement. It's not unusual to see more critters on the inn grounds than in nearby Rocky Mountain National Park! Obviously I was surprised to read her less-than-stellar comments, so I decided to stay a night in the room and check it all out for myself. The Wood Nymph room is very popular and finding a day to get in there and fix things during high season can be difficult, so I had our staff block off a day to give me the time to research each point made by the reviewer.
I found the room- which has brick paver floors- to be quite cool and comfortable. The floors have radiant heat also, and are toe-cozy on chilly nights. Our whole summer has been very cool- even for Estes Park- due to frequent afternoon showers that make the nights wonderfully comfortable even after a warm day. I did turn on the fan in the room and found it to be oscillating and working properly. I found the bed to be exceptionally comfortable and comparable to the Westin Hotel Heavenly beds that I have stayed in on my past travels. I found it to be firm and supportive yet soft and comfortable. I did notice that some of the tree lights were indeed out and the next day replaced the strands with new ones. As for the electric socket in the floor- it's surrounded by a brass house and has insulation around the receptacle so I can assure you it is safe and fine. Going out onto the deck, I was also impressed with the tree-top view. As a matter of fact, it reminds Sue of the tree house accommodations that she visited in the forest of Oregon. On that deck are two new Solumbra loungers that I found very comfortable. I was not able to find where the painting was not properly done, but I will investigate further as time allows.
I was surprised by the reviewer's comments regarding our old work truck hidden in the trees behind the wood pile up the hill. I found it impossible to see from Wood Nymph so can just assume that it was spotted while these guests were walking to or from the room. The truck is content to stay in its spot until called upon to haul trees and rock, and occasionally pull winter guests out of a snowbank. It's not beautiful, but we liken it to an old farm dog that does its job faithfully until the end.
I'm very sorry that these guests did not like their breakfasts and wish they had mentioned their preferences upon check-in or even after that first meal. We are always happy to accommodate our guests with special dietary needs and/or aversions to certain foods. In fact we are one of the only places in Estes Park that caters to vegetarians and those with gluten or lactose intolerances. We give a lot of thought to our menus and food preparation. Everything is made from scratch with the freshest ingredients, and much of what we use is organic. We serve our guests food that is not only delicious but nutritious as well. In addition, an artful presentation is a culinary signature of our inn and it is never our intention to fill the plate from edge to edge with food.
Again, I thank this reviewer for bringing many things to my attention and welcome the opportunity to "wow" her if she chooses to return. Our hospitality awaits! Gary Mansfield, co-owner of Romantic RiverSong
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The staff at this B&B are very welcoming and helpful. Our room, Morning Glory, was clean, bright, spacious, and included a small kitchenette. It was a perfect little apartment for a couple's getaway. The homemade cookies were an irresistible treat and when we were leaving in the early a.m. for hiking, Cynthia packed us breakfast to go. Given how great the cookies and breakfasts were, we were a little surprised to have a poor meal at the restaurant that was recommended to us. (We found one restaurant we enjoyed - Smokin' Dave's.) The only thing that I can think of for improvement is a little more attention to the outdoor furniture. Some more seating by the river would have been nice; the seating near our room was in need of some cleaning/dusting. But this is a small quibble and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Romantic Riversong!

1 Thank cjigga