“Nice winter retreat”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Nice winter retreat”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My boyfriend and I got a groupon to stay at Murphy's River Lodge. Originally we just had a basic room, which was clean but nothing too exciting. We ended up getting a river side room, which had the same room decor, but was a huge difference. The river side room was amazing, and I would recommend anyone visiting to at least get a river side room.

We had a groupon to stay here which made the stay extremely affordable. I think the lodge might be a little expensive if we did not have it. The lodge was a few minute walk to town. Even in the dark and the cold we decided to walk downtown, but the walk really was not bad.

The customer service was exceptional, one of the best parts of the stay.

The continental breakfast was good and had a wide variety. The hot tub was very nice. The creek was also very nice. Overall we were very happy with our stay. My only complaint is that the walls are a little thin. There were some elk which were meandering by the lodge, and pretty much just lounged around posing for pictures all day.

Room Tip: I would suggest at least getting a river side room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Crystaldawn3
MurphysLodge, Owner at Murphy's River Lodge, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Thanks for the really nice review. Please come back and see us again !!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Castle Rock, CO
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband and I stayed the first weekend of 2013, for our anniversary. Since we were married in Estes Park, we were hoping for a romantic and relaxing celebratory weekend. That's exactly what we got. The manager, Loretta, was friendly both over the phone and in person. I met her husband the next day, and he was just as cordial. Good people that made my husband and I feel welcomed. They were straightforward about the renovations in progress to the pool and hottub area, which we were unable to enjoy, and offered an upfront description of the simple, continental breakfast. The only reason I offer a four, rather than five rating, is the room to improve that I'm sure Loretta and her husband will reach. Most of the common property, and certainly the rooms, had been recently remodeled. With the remaining complete, and perhaps a few more deluxe amenities, this place could have everything people who come to Estes Park are looking for in lodging. I'd recommend upgrading the continental breakfast, adding a couple bathroom products (e.g. hair conditioner), and having a few logs available in each fireplace room. Overall, Murphy's River Lodge is lovely and was a huge reason our weekend was so amamzing. Comfortable, large beds, spacious rooms, fireplace was a huge bonus, generous kitchen, clean and well maintained. All of the extra touches we enjoyed, framed photo on the jumbo rocking chair, DVDs to borrow, wine in the room, area coupons, etc. were much appreciated. Many thanks to Loretta and her husband and happy anniversary to you both this March!

Room Tip: We chose a king sized suite with fireplace - perfect!
3 Thank 1975Panda
Thanks for the nice review and you are right about Bruce and Loretta. They are wonderful managers and do a great job !!!
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We went to Estes Park to celebrate our 40th Anniversary. I was able to score a great deal for 2 nights in the room with jacuzzi spa tub and bottle of wine included. The patio overlooked the river behind us. Had everything we needed, mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave, continental breakfast, etc. The Manager's were so friendly and made us feel very welcomed. We even got our picture taken on the giant rocking chair! It was a very relaxing weekend for us. We cannot wait to go again in the Spring or Summer. I highly recommend this lodge. Thank you Loretta and Bruce for a memorable weekend!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the nice review. Come back and see us again !!!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My wife and I were married in Estes Park, so we were very excited to go back for our anniversary. My wife found a great deal at Murphy's River Lodge, and we jumped on it!! We stayed for a weekend, and had a wonderful time. They have recently come under new management, and they are wonderful people!! The room was great, and we enjoyed the fireplace and back sitting area overlooking the river. It was still cold, so we didn't spend too much time outside, but it sure was beautiful!! I will definitely be going back to stay again, hopefully sometime soon!! The only reason I didn't max out the rating is because they are still renovating the common areas and the pool / hot-tub were not available. I look forward to using them next time!

1 Thank Tim S
MurphysLodge, Owner at Murphy's River Lodge, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Regarding Hot Tub it had a problem with jets and we had it fixed . Spa works great so come on back to see us.
windsor colorado
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My husband and I spend two nights in a 2nd floor condo. The condo was nicely decorated and clean as a whistle. We had a view of the river although it was frozen. However; the view of the mountains was awesome and unobstructed. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was soft and cozy.

When I checked in I needed to show ID. I couldn't find my drivers license and thought I might have left it at my bank in my hometown where I had stopped prior to my trip to Estes. The manager went above the call of duty calling my bank so I could talk with them about the possibility of my license being left there. Fortuntely, I found it later among the "valuables" in my purse:(

The only negatives comments I have are minor. Door sweeps need to be installed to help with the cold drafts and the leg extension of the recliner chair needs to be repaired.

We will definately return to Murphys River Lodge in the summer. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back (north) of the hotel might have less traffic noise
1 Thank debbers22
We look forward to seeing you this summer again !!!!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We chose to stay at Murphy's River Lodge on our first trip to Estes Park because of the great reviews and the deal they were running--$99/night, plus a bottle of wine in the room. We arrived a bit earlier than the check-in time, but our room was ready so we were able to drop off our things. the front desk host was extremely friendly. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and the mini fridge in the room was a great touch for keeping some snacks--we were told town closed up early, so we made sure to stock up. It was a very quick walk to all the shops in downtown Estes, and it was luckily a very nice and relatively warm day when we got in. The walk back at night was almost too cold for me, so plan ahead if you visit in the winter!
The coffee during breakfast was very good, and though the breakfast offered was great, it was a bit more basic than we were in the mood for. Luckily, down the block there's a great spot for breakfast. The only hiccup in our stay was that when we went to the front office's DVD lending library, there was no one there. It was a bit late so it was really my fault, but make sure that if you want to borrow a movie you do so earlier in the day. Excellent stay and we will definitely recommend this place to friends!

Room Tip: I recommend the upgrade to a river room, especially the hot tub room if it is available!
1 Thank znation
Thanks for the great review. Please come back again!!!
david city nebraska
Reviewed 5 January 2013

we didnt plan to be in estes on new years but thats where found ourselves, we couldnt find a room, we stopped at murphys river lodge to check prices and availibility, loretta was working the desk and we instantly fell in love with her and felt so welcomed, she had a room availible but she said it wasnt huge or special, we said that would be fine with us, we got our keys and went to the room and holy cow, small room and not fancy?? this room took my breath away seriously it did, it was big the bed was huge and soft the room was warm and inviting, never have we had a room like this anywhere for the price we were charged, we stayed in a 5 star hotel once and it didnt have anything above ours at murphys lodge, we were close to town, we had horse rides across the street at a historical lodge, we shopped and ate well, went to our room which was on the ground level and made it easy for my wife to get to it, we met loretta and bruce and thanked them for operating such a well maintained hotel, we enjoyed our evening and the new years experiance, we splept and woke up to the best nights sleep ive had in years, the bed was comforatable and the pillows, one firm and one feather, great combo, we went for the morning breakfast and planned on a simple layout as is in every hotel breakfast wow there was so much to eat and all kinds of varietys to choose from, they even had boiled eggs, who does that any more?? our total experiance at murphys river lodge was amazing, truly the best new years weve spent together, they truly care about thier guests and become part of your lives while you stay we now have a place to return to when vacationing that we trust and feel at home, the rooms are so clean to, towels fresh sheets fresh and you can turn up your heat to what ever you want, plenty of hot water, we had no issues what so ever, if you want an affordable lodging experiance stay here, youll enjoy yourselves as we did, thanx loretta and bruce we will be back, ps also my wife enjoyed the view of old man mountain from our room window

Room Tip: main floor rooms are easier if you have troubles walking or such
1 Thank rodgear44
Thanks for the great review. I have the best managers and I appreciate your comments !!!