“Mixed Emotions”

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Southwest US
“Mixed Emotions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

I have mixed emotions about the Comfort Inn, Estes Park. I stayed there because I wanted a room with an air conditioner, not so much for heat control, but allergy concerns. And the price for a queen room was not bad at $89 a night (higher around Labor Day). I was concerned about that since I was staying for 9 nights.

I am surprised that other reviewers did not point out some of the things I am pointing out. It makes me wonder if these things were only in my room. (Or perhaps, I have much higher standards than other people?)

My room was in one of the out buildings (the ones that are described as “away from street, mountain view) on the website when you make your reservation), so there was not an interior corridor. These buildings, as others have said, do not look the best from the outside. And inside, it is easy to see that the doors are old. I had a queen room and I had seen a picture of it on the website and I think the picture fairly well represented the room (but I do note that the bathroom and sink are not pictured.) Inside everything was nice and clean except for two things (detailed later). The room was very small, but for the most part adequate and worked out well for just one person.

The sink was outside the bathroom and was very tiny. It was between the front door and the bathroom door and if you stood at the sink, you either had to have the bathroom door closed or open all the way. The tiny size of the sink was made even worse by the fact that the ice bucket and tray with plastic cups was located on the sink counter. I put that elsewhere so I could have some room for my stuff. I also put some of my stuff on the floor under the sink (not in a cabinet.) When you stood at the sink, you could not stand straight because the hair dryer on the wall was in the way. If someone wanted to go in or out of the room by the front door, the person standing by the sink would have to step out of the way. I often walked by some of the interior rooms in another part of the hotel to get ice and often housekeeping had the doors open cleaning the rooms. I could see that at least some of the rooms had nice long bathroom counters. So if this is a concern, you might want to consider paying more for your room and getting one of those rooms.

I was really surprised that mold or mildew was around the window in the bathroom and on part of the tub/shower stall, considering how clean everything else was. It seemed that the problem was not so bad but what it would be easy to remove the mold/mildew. But I am sure that was not on the list for housekeeping to do and even if it were, I am sure no one ever checked the job housekeeping did. The mold/mildew was there when I arrived and it was still there when I left.

The commode in the bathroom was not straight up against the wall, so it did not sit straight. A plunger sat next to the commode and I remembered that someone once told me that if there is a plunger next to a commode in a hotel, you had better be prepared to use it. Sure enough I had to use it several times.

When I took a shower, the temperature of the water went from hot to cold and back again. I generally like warm showers, but I got a mixture here. And I usually took showers when other people would not be taking them and in this case, when I knew other people were not in the building.

Not all areas of the room had been dusted, vacuumed recently. Top shelves of the armoire and shelves of the credenza were very dusty. Something I had placed on the top of the night stand fell behind it and when I pulled the nightstand out to retrieve it, I noticed that the carpet all around the nightstand was very dirty and dusty.

One night about 3 am I woke up hearing a noise. I got up to investigate and found that the sliding glass doors at the back of the room going out to the balcony, did not fit tightly and the wind was howling through the doors. This went on for about 24 hours. Fortunately, I was not in the room for a lot of that time. But I was really glad that it was not winter and that I was not having to listen cold wind howl.

My room was fairly quiet. I didn’t hear anything from the rooms on either side of me except when the front doors were closed. But for some reason, every time some one came in or left from the room below me, there was a significant amount of noise for several minutes. (And during my 9 night stay, there were several different people staying in that room.)

The front desk staff were very nice, but one gentleman did not appear to be familiar with everything. I asked him for directions for walking to Lake Estes. While he was giving them to me, another staff member walked up and told him that I could go another way that was shorter. Another time I asked the same gentleman about menus for restaurants in town. He told me that did not have any. Later, I found a basket of menus from restaurants in town a few inches from the front desk.

I ate in the breakfast area several times and was pleased with the food, the area and the staff who seemed to be constantly checking to see if they needed to replenish anything. Every morning except for one there was plenty of space for everyone at the tables. The one morning I had to sit in a lounge chair and use the end of a coffee table, another guest invited me to sit with her and her husband at their table. I was not the only guest using the coffee table. I thanked her but told her that I was almost finished.

I did have a very nice view of the mountains from my room. And I do want to say that the convenience fridge in my room is one of the larger convenience fridges I have ever had in a motel room. I really valued that since I had a gallon of water in it as well as things for snacks, etc. to take with me on hikes.

Some readers may wonder why I did not bring any or all of this to the attention of management. I usually do not do that unless it is something I cannot live with. The way I look at it, why should I have to pay to stay in the room and tell management what all is wrong with it? If I am truly their valued guest, they will have checked the room before I arrive and fix anything that needs to be fixed.

Sometimes it was hard to make left turn from the Comfort Inn driveway because of all the traffic. But I know that that can be said for a lot of hotels, etc. in Estes Park. But making a left turn here could be particularly frustrating because there is a hill on both the right and left and sometimes you could not really see if anything was coming until a car was right on you.

Even though I did find several things about the Comfort Inn to point out, I would consider staying here again. I know that there are not that many hotels in Estes Park with air conditioning. And I know that the things I wrote about could be at any hotel and that things could have been a lot worse. Should I stay here again, I might try to stay in one of the rooms of the main building since I thought they appeared to be nicer. In making my decision to stay here again, I would consider staying somewhere else too.

• Liked — It had air conditioning and was mostly clean. The price was nice for Estes Park.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank rossibabi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

Stayed at the Comfort Inn for several nights 9/08 and we were very satisfied with the motel. Great location and very clean and comfortable.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Half dozen steps to second floor
  • Stayed September 2008
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

Room was large, stayed in one of the outer buildings, saw elk in the back part of the property. Breakfast was good and the pool and jacquzzi were clean. Close to Rocky Mt Park and the town. would stay again

• Liked — clean and well maintained
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

We stayed one night on our way to Western Colorado via Rocky Mtn. National Park. We loved the room! Very new, modern and clean. Big comfy King size bed, flat screen tv, refrigerator and microwave. The closet was an armoire which added a nice touch. The best part was the balcony on back of our room. It had chairs and you could sit and overlook the mountains. The only thing I would change about balcony is maybe privacy walls between balconys. We stayed in the"300" building and I recommend a top floor because bottom doesn't have balcony only small patio. Very nice room for price. This hotel is not downtown but within short driving distance to everything - also scooter rentals are next door.

• Liked — Clean, modern and balcony on back of room
  • Disliked — no privacy between balconys
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Okiedokie
Wilmington, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

I prefer a new hotel or a recently renovated one. Above all else it has to be CLEAN!!! I normally stay at a Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, etc.

I came to RMNP to hike so I only stayed here 1 night to get ready and to sleep at Estes altitude before embarking on 77 miles of the trails. This place did what I needed it to do....

The Good: Staff was very pleasant and accomodating to me. The room was clean and pretty modern considering I was a bit concerned while driving around to the out-buildings (not too impressive from the outside). Beds were comfortable.

The OK: Water pressure in the room left a bit to be desired but was good enough. Continental breakfast was avg. - about what you'd get anywhere.

The bad: Nothing I could find although when you drive around the lobby the place doesn't look that great from the outside. Kind of a confusing layout and the buildings aren't impressive but as mentioned the room was nice itself.

So you know: Pretty good walk to anything to eat. Pretty much have to drive from this place.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

My family and I have just returned from visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. We stayed at the Comfort Inn. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We decided to extend our stay there a couple of days and had to change rooms once. We stayed in the main building and spent 1night in one of the exterior rooms. Both rooms were very clean and both of nice size.The whole hotel was clean and they had a nice breakfast area. I had read some other reviews about the place before our trip and was a little nervous about staying there. However, I am so glad that we did. Extra nice, roomy, and CLEAN....... Exterior looks like one of the nicest in the Estes area also.

• Liked — Cleanliness and room size
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Betty069
Heflin AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

We had a really large room with fireplace and great view. Room was nicely decorated and really clean. It is located in a great spot away from a lot of the crowd. The staff was really friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Room size and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple