“Nice place to stay”
Review of Ponderosa Lodge

Ponderosa Lodge
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Happened to stay here by accident. Needed a room for one night; only place available. Elizabeth at the check in was very helpful. All staff was very nice. Overall it was a nice lodge experience. Remember this is a lodge within a country atmosphere. Water pressure was good, and hot water was plentiful!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank devileye

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We just spent one night at the Ponderosa Lodge almost by accident. Everyplace else was sold out and this was about our only choice. Room was very clean, Murphy Bed was comfortable, shower pressure was good, and falling asleep to the sound of the water from the river was beyond relaxing. The room was a perfect size for a couple. There was a comfy chair and a table and chairs.

Staff was super friendly and helpful. We didn't use the hot tub, but did sit out on the patio chairs outside our room to enjoy the view of the river. The in-room mini fridge and microwave make bringing leftovers home easy.

We're headed back with our daughter for a long weekend in August and we will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EllisFan14
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My wife and I visited while we were in Estes Park for a wedding party. We had visited with our Kids and my parents about 20 years ago and had great memories. The great experience was verified! Our host, Josh, could not have been more accommodating. We had a beautiful room with a balcony right on the Fall River. Many of the resorts are in the Fall River Canyon and can't help being near the road. The Fall River runs between the Lodge and the road, so the road noise is drowned out by the sound of the cascading river - a beautiful sound of nature. The rooms are well appointed and a nice size, with a sitting area, refrigerator and microwave. We had a wood burning fireplace, which added to he ambiance. Everything has been renovated since we last visited. Estes Park downtown, restaurants and Rocky Mountain National Park are all within 5 minutes. It won't be 20 years again!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a regular bed - some have Murphy beds. they are all on the river.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I loved staying at the Ponderosa. Josh was a great host and gave us tips on where to eat & visit. The room was very clean and had 2 windows overlooking the water. The room was good sized. The bed was comfortable, heat worked well. Bathroom towels were nice and thick - Laura Ashley brand if I recall correctly.
Next time I am in Estes Park, will most certainly stay at the Ponderosa. I had a great experience. I'm not sure where all the negative reviews are coming from, I have no complaints at all.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amber H
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This "lodge" is a mix between an OLD roadside Motel 6 and the Bates Motel. It is close enough to the highway to hear and see all the traffic. The room was super tiny, with the worst mattress I had ever slept on. The sheets were old and of poor quality, which did at least match the quality of the room. The room was very warm and stuffy but we were not allowed to open the screen at night, due to the invasion of wildlife...no AC either. The owner is a strange little man, who brags of his "advanced degrees," which is great but all he really needs to run a lodge in Estes is a cheerful personality...which is apparently not taught in College. Now, none of this would be so bad if we hadn't spent $120+ per night to stay there. Check out time is 10:00am which seemed early when I made the reservation over the phone, but we were packed and ready to go by 8:00am....since we hardly slept a wink on the worn out mattress. Paying anything over $50 per night is overpaying...There are lots of choices in Estes..think long and hard before staying at the Ponderosa Lodge.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maountaingirl914
Reviewed 6 August 2012

First of all I was checked into a room other then the one I paid for, when I was checked into the room the room was filthy full of trash, dirty toilets, dirty linens. The kitchen wasn't fully stocked with coffee, cream, sugar and necessities, etc. The evening was very unpleasant I have children sleeping on the floor and there was mice running all over the place. I was promised a discount for being put into the wrong room and the commitment was never fulfilled. As far as the front desk, owner and staff goes they were very rude because the owner and representative Josh never fulfilled their promise on the discount, Josh was very rude and discourteous and just kept saying the person that I made the reservation with should've never did what she did instead of just taking the initiative to correct mistake and fixing it and apologizing for their actions a company and as a whole. I strongly recommend that no one stays with PONDEROSA LODGE They are very distasteful and don't care how much money and time a person puts into researching different motels, lodges etc and come to a decision that includes them in your stay my stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Anna T
ponderosal, Owner at Ponderosa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Though this review was written a year ago, I thought it was time to respond. In the 22 years I have owned the lodge, I have overbooked a unit three times. Unfortunately, this was one of them. When the conflict was identified, the group was offerred their money back, or the choice of another unit. The unit which they selected was a cabin, larger than the one they had booked, and recently remodelled. The remodel had been completed just a week or two before, and thus was "nearly new". The statements about the condition of the cabin are inaccurate. Further, they received a gift certificate, though mailed a day or two later.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

If you like the smell of cigarettes instead of the mountain air, then this is the place for you! The front desk chick endorses smokers since she herself smokes and has asthma. So, if you're sensitive to the smell of cigarettes, suck it up, and close your balcony door since they won't do a thing about it. It's OK to smoke on the balcony as long as it's not in the room. What about smoke traveling from the balcony to the room?? Doesn't make any sense. Also, make sure you don't talk in the room because apparently the walls are paper thin that you'll be notified of a noise complaint from your next door neighbor. It's also extremely hot and stuffy when the balcony door is closed since there's no air ventilation or AC in the room. I've been to estes park 3 times, and this is the worst place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends